The Student Room Group

Am I short for my age, and what's the average height for someone my age?

I'm a 16 year old white American guy and I'm 5 foot 7. Is that short for my age? I'll be moving to a sixth form in England in September; will I be shorter than most guys there? What is the average height for a guy of my age and ethnicity?

Scroll to see replies

Another height post...

You have a fully able body, be thankful. People come in all shapes and sizes so don't worry about it mate.
At my sixth form, guys range between about 5ft5 and 6ft although there's a couple of people below that and a couple above it.
Reply 3
Going on national averages, It's a little short to be completely honest. But it's not like EVERYONE will be much taller than you. Plus, at 16, you still might grow some more.

Have a good time studying here by the way :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by I have a question
Another height post...

You have a fully able body, be thankful. People come in all shapes and sizes so don't worry about it mate.

Exactly. In my view, that's hardly short. And what's wrong with it? I have peers shorter than that and I like them loads!
Reply 5
Original post by tk1993
Going on national averages, It's a little short to be completely honest. But it's not like EVERYONE will be much taller than you. Plus, at 16, you still might grow some more.

You're fine, you still might grow. My little brother's friend is 17 and he's 5"7

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App.
Reply 6
Original post by tk1993

How tall will most of the other guys be?

Thanks, I hope I do :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Sullen_Wind
I'm a 16 year old white American guy and I'm 5 foot 7. Is that short for my age? I'll be moving to a sixth form in England in September; will I be shorter than most guys there? What is the average height for a guy of my age and ethnicity?

A tad short for someone your age - being 6 foot is the aim in life XD you will hit it eventually by 18-19 :biggrin:
Reply 8

It is kind of a pointless question since growth patterns in males are fairly varied with final height being commonly reached from age 14-24.

You may be slightly short but nothing noteworthy. I am a 5'7" fullly grown adult and am obviously slightly short but not so much so that I am ever really that conscious about it.

The average height for a 16 year old male in England is probably around 5'8-9"
Reply 9
Original post by iSoftie
A tad short for someone your age - being 6 foot is the aim in life XD you will hit it eventually by 18-19 :biggrin:

How tall should someone my age be?
Reply 10

In my year (year 12, which I'm guessing you're joining next year) most of the guys are around 5 9"- 5 10" which is about average. I'm 6 "1 and there are some lanky ****ers at 6'3+ but I've got mates who are 5'7" as well so you won't be the smallest. Tbh no one gives a **** about your height, I don't know why people on TSR do.
Original post by kka25
Exactly. In my view, that's hardly short. And what's wrong with it? I have peers shorter than that and I like them loads!

Device :flutter:
Reply 12
Why are you guys acting like he's sad about his height, and avoiding the question? He wants to know if he's short for his age, just answer :smile:

Even if you are a little short (it really is only an inch or two though), most likely there'll be a wide range. You won't be the shortest, trust me.

And you will, absolutely. Everyone wants to be friends with the cool American dude :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by DScofield
In my year (year 12, which I'm guessing you're joining next year) most of the guys are around 5 9"- 5 10" which is about average. I'm 6 "1 and there are some lanky ****ers at 6'3+ but I've got mates who are 5'7" as well so you won't be the smallest. Tbh no one gives a **** about your height, I don't know why people on TSR do.

Thanks! Yeah I'll be going into year 12. Will anyone notice much? In the American school I just left everyone said I was short.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by I have a question
Device :flutter:

:tongue:

We shouldn't be talking about that here :biggrin:

But again, to the OP, personality also counts other than heights : )
It's average. My school had people who were well below average (i.e. 5ft or maybe just slightly under like 4'10" or 4'11") and people who were well above (6'8"/6'9"). Most of us were average about (5'7", 5'8") at that age. Three years on, nearly aged 20 I'm 6'1".
How tall should someone my age be?

I think you're perfectly fine for your age.
I'm 5ft and I'm 19 :frown:
Reply 17
Thanks! Yeah I'll be going into year 12. Will anyone notice much? In the American school I just left everyone said I was short and gave me stick for it.

Well my smaller friends are fine and happy and maybe there's a bit of banter about their height and having gf's taller than them but nothing serious mate. Don't worry about it though and you'll grow more most likely since you're only 16.

At 13/14 I was very small for my year 5ft 5 ish. Now I'm 19, I'm over 6 foot and average height.

I wouldn't worry about your height, my dad is 5ft 7 but played rugby union, centre midfield in football. You may be shorter than quite a few people but average height at 16/17 is probably 5ft 10? I'm not sure, I was very tall at sixth form, I sort of shot up to about 5ft 11 by the time I was 16.
Reply 19
I only make friends with people who are above 6 ft :wink:

Quick Reply