The Student Room Group

It's decided then - Boris is to replace Cameron

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Gotta be honest, I do vote Tory anyway, but that's solely because I know my local MP. He lives near me, he says hello if he's walking the dogs and he helped out when a few of us from the area all had our student loans completely borked a few years ago.
And without meaning to sound all preachy, I think that's the right kind of reason to vote for a local MP.

Preachy? Hardly at all! That, tbh, sounds like the perfect reason to vote for a local MP. Someone who actually works for his constituents would always get my vote too.
Reply 21
Original post by Drewski
Gotta be honest, I do vote Tory anyway, but that's solely because I know my local MP. He lives near me, he says hello if he's walking the dogs and he helped out when a few of us from the area all had our student loans completely borked a few years ago.
And without meaning to sound all preachy, I think that's the right kind of reason to vote for a local MP.

You're not curious at all about what he actually gets up to in Parliament?
Reply 22
Original post by Alofleicester
Murdoch is a slimey little **** who neither knows or cares what's good for the country, only what is good for himself.

The man is an inspiration.
Reply 23
Original post by Drewski

And this one of reasons why I vote still vote Tory, for my local MP.
Reply 24
Original post by RtGOAT

To what? Slipperiness? Ruthless exploitation? Oh, forgive me, he did introduce breast-shots onto Page 3 - that's always been hugely inspirational.
Original post by RtGOAT

He's a self-serving, evil **** who runs a company that thinks it's acceptable to hack into the phone of a murdered school girl for the sake of a news story.
Reply 26
Original post by Fires
You're not curious at all about what he actually gets up to in Parliament?

No. I blindy ignore whatever he might get up to, stick my fingers in my ears, close my eyes and run around singing "lalalalalala, i can't hear you" :rolleyes:

When in parliament he's moreorless obligated to go with his party, or he'd have no ability to help us at all. I'm no fan of party politics - my personal tastes go all over the place and veer between them all - but I'm pragmatic enough to understand that and treat it impartially.
Reply 27
Original post by Drewski
No. I blindy ignore whatever he might get up to, stick my fingers in my ears, close my eyes and run around singing "lalalalalala, i can't hear you" :rolleyes:

When in parliament he's moreorless obligated to go with his party, or he'd have no ability to help us at all. I'm no fan of party politics - my personal tastes go all over the place and veer between them all - but I'm pragmatic enough to understand that and treat it impartially.

The current situation is quite volatile - lots of Tory MPs are being rebellious and not always supporting the party line, esp. on policies coming from the LibDems. I would think if you're a Tory voter you would be quite keen to know what your MP is up to. Who is he?
Reply 28
Original post by Fires
To what? Slipperiness? Ruthless exploitation? Oh, forgive me, he did introduce breast-shots onto Page 3 - that's always been hugely inspirational.

Starting with one Australian newspaper to run one of the biggest and most influential media companies in the world is pretty dam inspirational.

Too many people in this country hate on the success of others instead of aspiring to achieve something meaningful themselves.
Reply 29
Original post by RtGOAT
Starting with one Australian newspaper to run one of the biggest and most influential media companies in the world is pretty dam inspirational.

Too many people in this country hate on the success of others instead of aspiring to achieve something meaningful themselves.

LOL, he didn't "start with one Australian newspaper" exactly. His father was one of the richest people in Australia. This is the situation in the years before Rupe inherited, from Wikipedia.

"From 1926 onward, he had led a campaign to take over newspapers elsewhere in Australia, with varying success. In Adelaide, for example, the Herald publisher took over the feeble Adelaide Register in 1928, and turned it into a Sun-style picture tabloid. Within months, the previously dominant Adelaide Advertiser accepted a takeover bid, and the Register was quietly closed down in 1931, after the Herald acquired the evening Adelaide News, securing a local monopoly. Murdoch had also been investing in newspapers on his own account, notably in Brisbane, where he bought shares in the Daily Mail and subsequently helped it to take over the rival Courier. He kept pace with new technology, and by 1935 the Herald was involved with eleven radio stations (while Murdoch campaigned to prevent the official Australian Broadcasting Commission from establishing its own news service). He also led both the merger of rival cable services to form Australian Associated Press Ltd. in 1935, and the project to build a paper-mill in Tasmania, capable of processing native trees, which began in 1938."
Original post by RtGOAT

I think you'll find most people dislike Murdoch due to sleazy business practises and a complete lack of ethics. Very few just dislike him out of jealousy.
Reply 31
I think you'll find most people dislike Murdoch due to sleazy business practises and a complete lack of ethics. Very few just dislike him out of jealousy.

It's also just one of the popular myths he likes to put about, that he is essentially a "self-made man" who understands the common touch - he really was the son of what amounted to an Australian aristocrat, he had a lavish allowance as a student at Oxford, his father purchased a large country house for him here when he graduated - basically he has lived like royalty all his life. He is part of the super-rich global tax-evading class and his no 1 interest is screwing the poor.
Reply 32

Sugar coat it all you like its jealousy pure and simple. 99% of people would in his position would act just as he does. The 1% would fail.
Original post by RtGOAT
Sugar coat it all you like its jealousy pure and simple. 99% of people would in his position would act just as he does. The 1% would fail.

Son, it's really not. I have no interest in doing what he's done, money and fame don't motivate me in the slightest.
Amongst other reasons, I hate Rupert Murdoch due to the lack of ethics his businesses show, what Sky has done to modern football & that his company drove ITV digital under which in turn put my football team on the brink of oblivion.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Boris the sneaky russian?!

Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it :cool:
Original post by The_Timepasser
Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it :cool:

who took the jam out of your donut?!
Original post by Bill_Gates
who took the jam out of your donut?!

If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda p*ssy to drink it :h:
Original post by The_Timepasser
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda p*ssy to drink it :h:

no no you changed films not fair!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending