The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, you can't do it anyway, can you? So it's a bit of a moot point.
Reply 2
I know, but there is no harm in asking. I was just curious. So any ideas?
Seems like a pefectly reasonable question to me. Maybe if your college or parents made you apply to the original college but there was another college that you would rather have applied to but weren't allowed to.
Reply 4
There are virtually no circumstances under which you are normally allowed to change college. I only know of one person who's done it.
Reply 5
Joshworkinghard
Seems like a pefectly reasonable question to me. Maybe if your college or parents made you apply to the original college but there was another college that you would rather have applied to but weren't allowed to.

that's not a good enough reason.

why on earth are you advertising waitrose in your sig?
Reply 6
Alexander
There are virtually no circumstances under which you are normally allowed to change college. I only know of one person who's done it.

Why were they allowed to change?
Reply 7
Alexander

Yes, you can if you want to change course and it's not offered by your college.
Reply 8
Hypothetically, if you knew somebody who was doing the exact same course as you at another college, they'd probably let you swap.
Reply 9
kalen
Yes, you can if you want to change course and it's not offered by your college.

richardrox

I thought that was only at Cambridge though?

It sounds more like Oxford to me. Most Cambridge colleges (generally being rather larger than the Oxford ones) offer all the courses except Architecture and Education (I know of one or two that don't do History of Art). There is far more variety of offered courses at Oxford.
Reply 10
richardrox

I thought that was only at Cambridge though?

Nope, I'm sure it's Oxford because I read it somewhere, might be the student handbook or the examination regulations... and I think I read some story of some dude who was allowed to change college because of that on these boards some time ago... Dunno anything about Cambridge :p:
You can change at Oxford. It's called migration. I'd guesstimate maybe 10 people a year do it. Circumstances do have to be very extreme though, just preferring another college really won't cut it.
Reply 12
What sort of reasons do you think would "cut it"?
You'd've to be unhappy to the point where you can't do your degree, AND show that your unhappiness is directly attributable to your college, and will be resolved at another one.

I really wouldn't worry about it. If you're just having second thoughts about your college, this really isn't relevant. Most people worry about a thing or two before coming up, and settle in fine once they get here.
Reply 14
And those that make claims of unhappiness are given the room under the stairs and only allowed out to hand in essays and cook the breakfast.
Reply 15
Isaiah Berlin
You'd've to be unhappy to the point where you can't do your degree, AND show that your unhappiness is directly attributable to your college, and will be resolved at another one.

But even that would be amazingly difficult to prove, anyway.

I really wouldn't worry about it. If you're just having second thoughts about your college, this really isn't relevant. Most people worry about a thing or two before coming up, and settle in fine once they get here.

ITA, I was pretty upset when I got pooled and spent time worrying about colleges, but since I got here I actually quite like it and I've met some really great people. It's not something worth losing sleep over, you can't really judge a college until you're actually here...
Reply 16
I've heard of it happening in extreme cases, like when a student was raped in their college room... Just rumours though, I don't know of any definite cases.
Reply 18
To be honest starting out at Oxford is so complicated and stressful that changing college just might not be worth the hassle.
Reply 19

The last point about undergrad/grad switching is not true, though. I know plenty of people who have changed colleges between courses, a couple have changed up to three colleges for three different courses (BA, Masters, DPhil). And most of them did not move to a grad college...

Latest

Trending

Trending