The Student Room Group

dentistry 2014???????

what uni's would be the best to study dentistry at and why please?
Reply 1
Original post by skyflyer1
what uni's would be the best to study dentistry at and why please?

I´m not really in a position to answer your question but can give you some advice.

- Remember, the most important thing is to get through the door at a dental school more than anything else. The quality of teaching at all British dental schools is high so atleast have your 4th choice as the school who´s entrance criteria best fits round your application. I don´t know what your school grades/ukcat is like but different universities place a different weighting factor on each, some universities take these into consideration even after interview, and some universities take account of adversities which may have hindered your application.

-Where your from can be an influencing factor. Some people like to travel from home and others like to live in the city they are studying in (in order to qualify for halls of residence you need to be a set number of miles away and in here you will make alot of friends).

- Look at the modules studied. Some schools offer subjects such as psychology which you may or may not want to do within a dentistry degree. Doing this demands a slightly greater work ethic but the module in itself is very interesting. The same goes with regards to anthropology.

- Student life may be an important factor for yourself (or it may not be). There are league tables which show levels of student satisfaction about the general experience of life as a student in particular cities.

- Furthermore, the cost of living in cities varies drastically. Ie it will be a lot cheaper to live in dundee tan in London, but again this factor is totally circumstancial.

So to conclude, it depends entirely on your qualifications and circumstances which dental school is best for you, and it is unlikely anyone can take YOUR circumstances in to consideration when recommending the best school for you to study at.

If I were you I would take a look at all the UK dental schools, and shortlist about 10 to attend open days for. Then, after this decide the 4 which you want to apply to. I actually found research into dental school an exciting time, taking the first steps towards what will hopefully be your future career.

Also, note that the student loans company will also fund you to study in the Republic of Ireland. The agency for these schools is CAO (not UCAS) and therefore you can actually apply to 6 schools (4 in UCAS and 2 in CAO). In ROI, the grade demands are very high but no personal statement and no interview is required. Dublín is a great city to live in!
Reply 2
Original post by Dhill94
I´m not really in a position to answer your question but can give you some advice.

- Remember, the most important thing is to get through the door at a dental school more than anything else. The quality of teaching at all British dental schools is high so atleast have your 4th choice as the school who´s entrance criteria best fits round your application. I don´t know what your school grades/ukcat is like but different universities place a different weighting factor on each, some universities take these into consideration even after interview, and some universities take account of adversities which may have hindered your application.

-Where your from can be an influencing factor. Some people like to travel from home and others like to live in the city they are studying in (in order to qualify for halls of residence you need to be a set number of miles away and in here you will make alot of friends).

- Look at the modules studied. Some schools offer subjects such as psychology which you may or may not want to do within a dentistry degree. Doing this demands a slightly greater work ethic but the module in itself is very interesting. The same goes with regards to anthropology.

- Student life may be an important factor for yourself (or it may not be). There are league tables which show levels of student satisfaction about the general experience of life as a student in particular cities.

- Furthermore, the cost of living in cities varies drastically. Ie it will be a lot cheaper to live in dundee tan in London, but again this factor is totally circumstancial.

So to conclude, it depends entirely on your qualifications and circumstances which dental school is best for you, and it is unlikely anyone can take YOUR circumstances in to consideration when recommending the best school for you to study at.

If I were you I would take a look at all the UK dental schools, and shortlist about 10 to attend open days for. Then, after this decide the 4 which you want to apply to. I actually found research into dental school an exciting time, taking the first steps towards what will hopefully be your future career.

Also, note that the student loans company will also fund you to study in the Republic of Ireland. The agency for these schools is CAO (not UCAS) and therefore you can actually apply to 6 schools (4 in UCAS and 2 in CAO). In ROI, the grade demands are very high but no personal statement and no interview is required. Dublín is a great city to live in!

thank you very much! what made you personally choose the university that you yourself went to please?
Reply 3
Original post by skyflyer1
thank you very much! what made you personally choose the university that you yourself went to please?

No problem!

My qualifications don't allow me to apply to a great deal of schools and the only 2 I met the minimum requirements for were Glasgow and Dundee.

Besides, even if that weren't the case finances would have played an important role. Being a Scottish citizen it would be crazy to ignore that we get free tuition north of the border so Glasgow and Dundee (Aberdeen is post-grad only) were my first 2 choices. Additionally, Dundee is a very cheap but yet modern city to live in, with the cost of living 14% below the UK average.

PBL is a system which has never really appealed to me, it looks slightly more difficult than a traditional system and I felt Dundee had a better mix of the 2 methods of learning.

Also, living next to Glasgow means that I would not qualify for halls of residence and I feel this is a great way to make friends and something I'd hate to miss out on. (The halls in Dundee are all recently refurbished) Further to this effect, in the past few years Dundee have finished top of student satisfaction and student nightlife tables and it just seemed the right place for me.

In the end up I only got one interview and one offer and at the end of the day I was just very greatful to get a place at a dental school, and luckily for me this was also my number 1 choice.

Quick Reply

Latest