The Student Room Group

Cooked Mussels- How can I use them?

Ok well I brought some pre-cooked mussels the other day, and have to use them by today....I just can't think how!

I have pasta, probably have plain pasta sauce, and some veg..ermmm

I love them in restaurants but obviously they know what they are doing...

I have no idea what to do with them-Any ideas?...I am also a rubbish cook so please bear that in mind :tongue:

I could possibly get some ingredients from the uni shop but it doesn't have a wide variety.

Thanks for any help!
Reply 1
Em_maK
Ok well I brought some pre-cooked mussels the other day, and have to use them by today....I just can't think how!

I have no idea what to do with them-Any ideas?...I am also a rubbish cook so please bear that in mind :tongue:

I could possibly get some ingredients from the uni shop but it doesn't have a wide variety.

Thanks for any help!

my mom only gets them with stirfry so i guess stiryfry :yep:
Reply 2
DealerG
my mom only gets them with stirfry so i guess stiryfry :yep:

Stir fry I could do! What does your mum usually add?
are they in garlic sauce?

I would definitely have them with pasta, with some baguette to eat with it.

Oh I looooooove mussels mmmmmmm
Reply 4
Try this,

1/2 qt. mussels in shells (approximately 75)
1/4 c. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 lemons, thinly sliced
2 lg. (1 lb. 13 oz.) cans Italian tomatoes, mashed
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 1/2 tbsp. oregano
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. red wine
2 lb. linguine

Saute onion and garlic in oil. When onion is golden and soft, add lemon slices, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, red wine, salt and peppers. Simmer over low heat for 25 minutes with pot covered. Add wine and simmer without the cover until sauce thickens, 15 to 20 minutes.

Add mussels to sauce, cover and cook over medium-high heat approximately 5 minutes. Cook linguine according to package directions and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil to prevent sticking. Arrange linguine on a large tray. Cover with cooked mussels and tomato sauce

Em_maK

Thanks for any help!
Reply 5
Out of the above, I only have olive oil, pepper/s and mussels [and not that many] :frown:
Variable
Try this,

1/2 qt. mussels in shells (approximately 75)

good gracious that's a lot of mussels. I doubt many people would be buying 75 mussels all at once. It would cost a fortune!
Reply 7
PinkMobilePhone
good gracious that's a lot of mussels. I doubt many people would be buying 75 mussels all at once. It would cost a fortune!

Lol I agree, and I'm a student too!

The packet only cost £1 or so, I guess there is less than 20 in there [haven't looked]
Reply 8
lol sorry the recipe is for 8 ppl so please adjust.

PinkMobilePhone
Variable
lol sorry the recipe is for 8 ppl so please adjust.

that makes sense :wink:
Just put it all together and cook.

Latest