The Student Room Group

Learning Russian language: The Russian Learners' Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Me! I'm probably going to be learning Russian as part of my course next year. Excitement :biggrin:
At the moment I'm trying to master the alphabet which is going not so well :redface:
Anatheme
There's actually no ending :tongue:. I just wanted to test you because I always react like "Oh yeah, if you need help with French, just ask", but I end up giving rubbish explanation because I forgot my grammar. I believe that a non-native will know grammar better than a native, and my Russian teacher (who is Russian) told me once that she was surprised by the amount of things she thought she knew when she actually didn't. Don't be offended, I'm sure you can help with plenty of things because you know much more than we do, I just wanted to see if you'd be as confuse as we did when we learnt the genitive plural :tongue:

:no: you have time on your hands.. obviously it diesnt have an ending it s a root of a word and is rarely used in context therefore it has no ending. I honestly do not see the point of that whole conversation.
Anatheme
Well you did tell me there was an ending and sounded confused with your own language. That's not very useful when trying to explain a grammar point :holmes:

why ask when you knew the answer? so if i told you the correct answer you would say... oh thanks i didnt know that, or would you say something innovative and arrogant? `Not one person in the world could ever know Russian 100%
Reply 23
niiiiice :smile: cheers anatheme!
I'll post more come september :smile:
Oh wow... This is amazing. I orignally accepted a place a UCL to read single honours German, but now I'm hoping to combine it with Russian! The language is so amazing!
Reply 25
I bought some russian vodka today, this is my first step towards complete fluency :p:
Whoop whoop, я в Росси сейчас!
Anatheme
My friend doing German has a tendency to pronounce Russian the German way, which is not good at all, but it's funny to see that Russian borrowed words from plenty of languages including German :tongue:

Yes! My parents just got a letter from UCL offering me a place to do both German and Russian! I'm so happy!
adilmorrison
Yes! My parents just got a letter from UCL offering me a place to do both German and Russian! I'm so happy!

It's obviously the greatest subject combination there is :p:
Anatheme
Anything combined with Russian is obviously great anyway :teeth:
Где ты в России? Я хочу лететъ в Санк Петербурге в Августе!

Я в Петре, хорошая идя, что ты летешь летом, потому что люди говорят быстро, не как Лиза. И можно видет город - ты хочешь жить в Петрбурге? И почему ты хочешь уехать Манчестер? (I read your profile, the bit where it says you have transfer applications.)

(Ah no, found why in your sig. Never mind the last question :smile: )
I think the problem I'm having at the moment is what i'm writing down on the paper for learning words is different to what I'm seeing on the screen at times which makes it hard for my brain to interpret. So it's almost like words to learn, I have to learn the printed version and the handwritten one, I hope this becomes easy in time, or I just naturally associate the printed letters with the handwritten ones.
Anatheme
I'm gonna write the alphabet all joined-up and if you want, I'll make you a list of random words for you to train reading both versions?

That would be good :smile:. I think its just a lack of familiarisation with the language, my brain recognises words on the page and correlates it with the words on the piece of paper like how it should normally, but if they two aren't the same in my minds eye like russian then it's just one extra thing i need to compensate for, which i hope will go away once i become more accompanied by both printed and handwriting.
Anatheme
Я летела в Москвы три года назад и она мне очень нравится, ну сейчас, я хочу лететь в Петербурге потому, что моя русская подруга сказала что етот год очень крассивый!

I apologise for mistakes :holmes:

The only mistake I found was that етот год is that year, not that city (горо&#1076:wink: :wink:

Да, город - крассивый, а также не крассивый. Это - крассивее чем Москва а я думаю что домы - run down (cba with a dictionary :p: ). А конечно, много соборов и паласов. Скажй Лизу, что Felicity сказала "привет" please :smile:
insparato
That would be good :smile:. I think its just a lack of familiarisation with the language, my brain recognises words on the page and correlates it with the words on the piece of paper like how it should normally, but if they two aren't the same in my minds eye like russian then it's just one extra thing i need to compensate for, which i hope will go away once i become more accompanied by both printed and handwriting.

I spent the first two years of my degree writing in print and naturally transferred to handwriting last October with next to no difficulty. If it's easier for you, you could try that :smile: Although I guess that wouldn't help if your teacher writes in script... :s-smilie:
thatwhichiam
I spent the first two years of my degree writing in print and naturally transferred to handwriting last October with next to no difficulty. If it's easier for you, you could try that :smile: Although I guess that wouldn't help if your teacher writes in script... :s-smilie:

That's good to know, I've done bits and pieces in Russian on an off, not in so many good years now, so I think I just need to get my brain used to it. I'm doing Russian for fun :smile:, no teachers.
insparato
That's good to know, I've done bits and pieces in Russian on an off, not in so many good years now, so I think I just need to get my brain used to it. I'm doing Russian for fun :smile:, no teachers.

In which case most of the stuff you use will be in print so I'd stick to print for a while, until you're comfortable with the language at least, otherwise it's just double confusion :smile:
Anatheme
Миллион Vs машина

To make it more legible, Russians often put a line under sh and over t :smile: you have damn neat handwriting, mine's all over the place...
Reply 37
Ok some of the shorter stuff I got, but some of those posts were wow.
And Anatheme you have very neat, very French handwriting.
Reply 38
Anathème, I love the flick on the bottom of your фs. :p:
Anyhow, Russian AS speaking exam tomorrow, argh!
Reply 39
Anatheme
I tried stopping myself from doing it, but that's from my year of Greek, and I can't get rid of it. Oh well, anyway, it doesn't look too bad :holmes:. Good luck for your exam tomorrow!

Haha, I like it! I never know quite what to do with фs (or handwritten Бs, since my teacher usually just does a circle with two lines on top)... And thank you! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending