The Student Room Group

Why is Microsoft Word making my spacing uneven?

This is seriously cracking me up.
Take a look at the two headings here. 2.1 and 2.2.

As you can see, There is a large gap at the top of 2.1 (I want this.) and a small gap at the top of 2.2 (I DONT WANT THIS). If I add an extra line break at the top of 2.2, the gap is way too big.
I've highlighted all the text in the document and formatted it in exactly the same way. 1.5 line spacing, justified. Why is it that the line breaks seem to be different sizes?

Rep for any good help.
Ghost
This is seriously cracking me up.
Take a look at the two headings here. 2.1 and 2.2.

As you can see, There is a large gap at the top of 2.1 (I want this.) and a small gap at the top of 2.2 (I DONT WANT THIS). If I add an extra line break at the top of 2.2, the gap is way too big.
I've highlighted all the text in the document and formatted it in exactly the same way. 1.5 line spacing, justified. Why is it that the line breaks seem to be different sizes?

Rep for any good help.

What version of Word are you using?

I've got 2007 and it's kinda freaky; I've found that mine does it too. I don't think you can just set the line spacing to be the same - you need to go to "Format > Paragraph" (having selected it all) and tinker with the paragraph spacing options. I think there's one that says something about not adding spacing after paragraphs - that might be it. If in doubt, save first and check the Preview pane before clicking OK! :smile:

Hope this helps.
Word 2007?

Clear the formatting? The drop down arrow beside change styles on the far right.
try 'removing space before paragraph' or '... space after paragraph'.

If you're using Word 2007, these two options should be under the same drop-down you use for line spacing.

" the lines immediately before and after.
Reply 4
Delete the gap after 2.2, press shift, hold this then press enter.
Is that what your after?
Word '07?

Look at the top right, where it says 'Normal' and 'No Spacing' etc. Click 'No Spacing.'

Word '07 has a stupid idea of 'Normal.'
Reply 6
Muppety_Kid
What version of Word are you using?

I've got 2007 and it's kinda freaky; I've found that mine does it too. I don't think you can just set the line spacing to be the same - you need to go to "Format > Paragraph" (having selected it all) and tinker with the paragraph spacing options. I think there's one that says something about not adding spacing after paragraphs - that might be it. If in doubt, save first and check the Preview pane before clicking OK! :smile:

Hope this helps.

Legend! The "space after" setting was blank in some paragraphs, but 10pt in others. Who knows why!

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Reply 7
After the 2.2 heading, "Non-Traditional...etc", try pressing shift+enter instead of enter.
Ghost
Legend! The "space after" setting was blank in some paragraphs, but 10pt in others. Who knows why!

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Gooooooood to know you have it fixed. :top:

Out of curiousity (sp?!?!), are you in 'Normal' or 'No Spacing' in the top right bit? (Under the Home tab I believe).
Reply 9
Turn on the invisible formatting marks. You might have 2 different types of returns in there.

The first return is shift+return
The second is just return
Reply 10
Champagne Supernova
Gooooooood to know you have it fixed. :top:

Out of curiousity (sp?!?!), are you in 'Normal' or 'No Spacing' in the top right bit? (Under the Home tab I believe).

It seems as if I'm in "Normal" now - though I may have now overridden that section because I did Ctrl + A, selected paragraph, and set the after-paragraph spacing to 6pt. Thanks for your help too!
Ghost
It seems as if I'm in "Normal" now - though I may have now overridden that section because I did Ctrl + A, selected paragraph, and set the after-paragraph spacing to 6pt. Thanks for your help too!

Well yeah, no spacing is where you want to be, but by doing a Ctrl + A shouldn't have affected that sort of stuff? :confused: Oh well, it probably does.

And no worries :top:
Reply 12
Lets just put it down to Word 07 being an ****** :biggrin:

Latest