The Student Room Group

Philosophy Combined...

Hi all! I'm applying to uni for 2012 entry for a combined Philosophy degree. As each of my choices are different I was wondering what everyones take on them would be! Also tips on PS would be appricieated, i've done about 5/6 drafts but anything to help would be grand :biggrin:

LSE- Politics and Philosophy- AAA
Kings- Religion, Philosophy and Ethics- AAB
UCL- History and Philosophy of Science- AAB/ABB
Birkbeck- Politics, Philosophy and History- ABB
Royal Holloway- Classical Studies and Philosophy- BBB

My AS Levels- Philosophy A, Maths C, Law C, Economics D

Im retaking modules in Maths and Law

A Levels- Philosophy, Maths, Law

Predicted grades- AAB/ABB

Sorry but I really don't think it's a good idea to apply for so many different courses, with just one personal statement. You're going to have to include elements of history, religion, politics, classics and science, alongside the philosophy, to pull this off.

If you're set on those particular choices, I'd suggest emailing the universities, explaining your situation a little bit and asking if you can send them a separate personal statement, which you can then specifically tailor to that course.
Reply 2
Quick question, how likely do you think you'll be to get offers with your grades? From what you've posted, you are applying for AAB courses with ACC... I'm in a similar predicament, I got BBCD at AS, BBD at the moment, being predicted BBC, looking at ABB courses. I'm looking at universities which are two grades higher than what I have at the moment, and I'm receiving emails saying that my application will be rejected if I apply there.

(p.s. how did you get your teachers to predict you so different from your AS marks!?)
Reply 3
I agree with fexysucker, I just don't see how you're going to fit that all onto one personal statement. It looks like you've chosen those courses based on them being in London rather than you actually wanting to do the course. I am like you, desperate to study in London and did consider applying for Religion, Philosophy and Ethics at King's due to it's lower entry requirements. But I knew I didn't want to do the course. So now I'm just praying I get into philosophy :smile: Chances are here that you won't get into any of them with a personal statement that will be so broad.
I'd recommend really thinking about the exact course you want to do and then only applying to universities that offer it, not the ones that are in your preferred location.

Also, I'd have another look at the grades they are asking for in relation to your achieved and predicted grades. For example, I'm sorry to say this but you've got no chance for LSE - not only are your predicted grades not high enough but your AS grades don't seem to warrant a prediction as high as your predictions are either! I'd say AAB should be your absolute high risk choice with those AS grades, unless you have any extenuating circumstances. Sorry but I don't want to give you any false hope :/ If you're interested in philosophy, try looking at Heythrop college. It's in London and entry requirements are relatively low compared, with little competition for places.

If you do achieve say AAA and think you could do better, you can always reapply, but your chances at an AAA uni this year are low. Maybe if you choose a less competitive uni and course but most people applying to LSE will have straight As at AS and yet still most will be rejected. If you really want to apply for an AAA course then choose somewhere other than LSE - it's one of the most competitive uni's in the UK.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by laura94
I agree with fexysucker, I just don't see how you're going to fit that all onto one personal statement. It looks like you've chosen those courses based on them being in London rather than you actually wanting to do the course. I am like you, desperate to study in London and did consider applying for Religion, Philosophy and Ethics at King's due to it's lower entry requirements. But I knew I didn't want to do the course. So now I'm just praying I get into philosophy :smile: Chances are here that you won't get into any of them with a personal statement that will be so broad.
I'd recommend really thinking about the exact course you want to do and then only applying to universities that offer it, not the ones that are in your preferred location.

Also, I'd have another look at the grades they are asking for in relation to your achieved and predicted grades. For example, I'm sorry to say this but you've got no chance for LSE - not only are your predicted grades not high enough but your AS grades don't seem to warrant a prediction as high as your predictions are either! I'd say AAB should be your absolute high risk choice with those AS grades, unless you have any extenuating circumstances. Sorry but I don't want to give you any false hope :/ If you're interested in philosophy, try looking at Heythrop college. It's in London and entry requirements are relatively low compared, with little competition for places.

If you do achieve say AAA and think you could do better, you can always reapply, but your chances at an AAA uni this year are low. Maybe if you choose a less competitive uni and course but most people applying to LSE will have straight As at AS and yet still most will be rejected. If you really want to apply for an AAA course then choose somewhere other than LSE - it's one of the most competitive uni's in the UK.

I'd disagree - if you can get your teachers to predict you AAA at A-level for LSE then go for it. You don't have to put your AS grades on your Ucas form, I didn't and I didn't get rejected, I'm studying here as a first year!
Also there are certain myths about LSE, I know someone who got accepted with Bs and Cs at GCSE. The key thing is you have to be predicted AAA at A-level, and just don't reveal your AS grades :smile:
Reply 5
^ Sent off application for

King's College London- Religion, Philosophy and Ethics- AAB
UCL- History and Philosophy of Science- AAB/ABB
University of Birmingham- Philosophy- AAB/ABB
University of Manchester- Philosophy- ABB
University Of Glasgow- Philosophy- ABB

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by annika94
Hi all! I'm applying to uni for 2012 entry for a combined Philosophy degree. As each of my choices are different I was wondering what everyones take on the

Original post by fexysucker
Sorry but I really don't think it's a good idea to apply for so many different courses, with just one personal statement. You're going to have to include elements of history, religion, politics, classics and science, alongside the philosophy, to pull this off.

If you're set on those particular choices, I'd suggest emailing the universities, explaining your situation a little bit and asking if you can send them a separate personal statement, which you can then specifically tailor to that course.

Yes, I'd agree with 'fexysucker'
Thats what I've done...I wrote my main personal statement for english Lit and then contacted a university and asked them if i should write about theology too, and they told me to send them a separate personal statement for theology. Not all unis will let you do this and like the person above has said, it depends on your circumstances.

If I were you I'd contact each uni- (by telephone- however, bear in mind the person on the end of the telephone may not be very friendly!) -and tell them about the other combination of subjects your applying for, and whether you'd be at a disadvantage if you wrote your p.s for these subjects...because your p.s might end up being quite general and bland.

However...having said that, you could try and find a common ground between all the subjects your applying for and then perhaps write about that in your p.s. (The best way to do this would be through a mind map/spider diagram type of thing)

Good luck!
Reply 7
I have recieved conditional offers from all of my uni choices :biggrin:

King's College London-Religion, Philosophy and Ethics- AAB
UCL-History and Philosophy of Science-ABB
University Of Glasgow-Philosophy-ABB
University of Birmingham-Philosophy-ABB
University of Manchester-Philosophy-ABB

I am deciding between bham, manc and glas :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest