The Student Room Group

What's it like to live in London?

Okay, so I believe that a major part of the university experience is the city you are living in. Can't decide whether I want to go to Newcastle or UCL... Newcastle looks amazing with the nightlife and all that and it's apparently a similar city to Liverpool (where I live) but I would love to live in London! So if anyone is studying in London or goes to UCL, what's the nightlife like, freshers week, etc etc :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whats it like to live in london? After 18 years, i cant wait to leave. Thats what its like to live in london :smile:

In all seriousness. In terms of student life, i dont know, but id imagine it be pretty good as theres tons of clubs in central and the suburbs aswell. Londons expensive. Very expensive. And its a dangerous place tbh, or atleast many parts of it are dangerous if youre not careful.

That said, i imagine everywhere has its bad ends. Londons decent. But i personally find it expensive, over-rated and a bit dangerous. But im bias i suppose, living here all my life.
Well, it's a big and diverse place so some places are quite posh whereas some are quite run-down.
I've lived in London all my life and would happily continue to live there all my life.
Reply 3
Amazing. :colondollar:

I should point out I'm very biased, but seriously, for all of its bad points, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Reply 4
I lived in London for 19 years before I went to uni and I miss it now, can't wait to come back. Yes rent prices are expensive, and there is a lot of crime in some areas, but then thats the same everywhere really. The transport system is second to none compared to other places in the UK- buses every 5-10 minutes at all hours of the day and night, plus the tube as well. Yes there are sometimes delays but thats inevitable really given the age of the system. There is always something to see and do as well, including several free museums and galleries.
Reply 5
Original post by Dbrown18
Whats it like to live in london? After 18 years, i cant wait to leave. Thats what its like to live in london :smile:

In all seriousness. In terms of student life, i dont know, but id imagine it be pretty good as theres tons of clubs in central and the suburbs aswell. Londons expensive. Very expensive. And its a dangerous place tbh, or atleast many parts of it are dangerous if youre not careful.

That said, i imagine everywhere has its bad ends. Londons decent. But i personally find it expensive, over-rated and a bit dangerous. But im bias i suppose, living here all my life.

Don't listen to this guy OP. I grew up in london and I was part of the grass is greener.... brigade. But once I moved to UCL halls in central london and visited other uni students (my old friends) around the country and heard tales of other cities from out-of-london UCL students (I was surprised at how ghetto Oxford actually is :eek:) I realised how dead the rest of the country is compared. As for crime I have never had any problems. Sure there is the odd mugging but nothing more than what you would find in say Manchester or Oxford.

Besides UCL>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Newcastle. Even if the social life was proven to be slightly worse which it's not the reputation of UCL is enough not to forgo it.
i live in portsmouth five year and all girls think i ugly
but when i come london since 2010 i like bradd pitt
london is my baby
Reply 7
If you'd like your arrival from the daily commute to be celebrated by a homeless, hairy drunk screaming in foreign gibberish at you, then London is the place to be.

Yes, I have had bad experiences. :colonhash:
Reply 8
Original post by Wave
Don't listen to this guy OP. I grew up in london and I was part of the grass is greener.... brigade. But once I moved to UCL halls in central london and visited other uni students (my old friends) around the country and heard tales of other cities from out-of-london UCL students (I was surprised at how ghetto Oxford actually is :eek:) I realised how dead the rest of the country is compared. As for crime I have never had any problems. Sure there is the odd mugging but nothing more than what you would find in say Manchester or Oxford.

Besides UCL>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Newcastle. Even if the social life was proven to be slightly worse which it's not the reputation of UCL is enough not to forgo it.

Why should they not listen to me? What makes your opinion any more valid?

Word of advice, experience the rest of the country before claiming its dead. London isnt the only city in the UK.
Reply 9
Why should they not listen to me? What makes your opinion any more valid? .

It is of my opinion that he shouldnt listen to you. What makes your opinion any more valid?
Word of advice, experience the rest of the country before claiming its dead. London isnt the only city in the UK.

I have.

It is dead.
Great! Fantastic...of course it has it's high points and low points (e.g. cost ££££££££££££££)

:biggrin:
Original post by Lilli1994
Okay, so I believe that a major part of the university experience is the city you are living in. Can't decide whether I want to go to Newcastle or UCL... Newcastle looks amazing with the nightlife and all that and it's apparently a similar city to Liverpool (where I live) but I would love to live in London! So if anyone is studying in London or goes to UCL, what's the nightlife like, freshers week, etc etc :smile:

I wouldnt really goto a london in uni, purely because its all spread out and perhaps the social life is lacking.

If you want a good nightlife?

You aint doing wrong with Newcastle, been there a few times an its possibly the best place in the UK nightlife wise, I actually think Birmingham is quite good to...

Whats it like to live in London, ive lived here 23 years, (bar 3 at uni) and im sick of it. theres no work here now and everybody is so anti social, un like newcastle.

so im packing my bags and going to spain in two weeks. hasta luego london.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Wave
It is of my opinion that he shouldnt listen to you. What makes your opinion any more valid?

I have.

It is dead.

Youre clearly an idiot. Goodbye.
Reply 13
London can be big, anonymous, scary and overwhelming.
****ing snowy, that's what it's like.
i've lived in London for 6 years now (used to live in a town near amsterdam). It is amazing. Easy access to almost anywhere, great selection of restaurants, variety of clubs, billions of shops, you'll meet loads of foreign people. Depends on what course youre doing but UCl has an outstanding reputation. Not dangerous unless you hang out in Peckham at 12am alone or something. Quite expensive but its totally worth it.
Stabby.
Reply 17
Youre clearly an idiot. Goodbye.

Sheep shagging and coal mining is just not my thing. Sorry :smile:
Reply 18
As far as I know, transport is easier in London (in terms of the number of tube and bus services). The food is better and there are lots of choices too. More opportunities to meet new people.

However, it's more crowded. Therefore, there will be air and noise pollution. Rooms are more likely to be smaller and more expensive.
Original post by AndroidLight
i live in portsmouth five year and all girls think i ugly
but when i come london since 2010 i like bradd pitt
london is my baby

What the actual ****.

Quick Reply