The Student Room Group

Is Government & Politics A-Level essential to study politics degree?

Just wondering, as I've been looking at courses, particularly history and politics combined degrees, and was wondering whether it was an advantage to have it at a level. I currently have chosen history, economics and sociology. According to people at my school, the politics a level isn't very good there either. Any advice? thanks!
Reply 1
Whatever you need as a background, you would learn in the first year. A politics A-level I was told by my teacher would give an initial advantage, but by second year, it really doesn't matter
Reply 2
Ah ok, I will stick with the options I have then, and just learn some of the content myself! :biggrin:
I think the main advantage of politics A level if you want to do politics at uni is mainly the fact it shows that you're committed to politics, and that's something universities really value. If you have other ways of showing your commitment, then you'll be fine without the A-level.

Plus they rarely, if not never, ask for it specifically cos not all schools do it

It was useful for me because it confirmed my decision that I definitely wanted to take politics, but you also seem pretty sure about that at this moment

So long story short, don't worry too much about it
(If you haven't guessed, I'm going to do Politics at Uni in September) x
Nope. Many schools don't even offer it.
Reply 5
Thanks guys :smile:
Take it anyway. I am doing history and politics at uni if I get the results and the unis seemed to love it in my one interview and it's an easy A-level (not many people recognise this fact).
If you have the option of doing it then I would suggest that you take it.

As had been said above somewhere, it'll be a taster of the sort of topics you'd learn about at Uni and you'll be able to work out if you really do like it.

You don't want to risk not taking it at A level, getting to Uni and then finding out you dislike it.
Reply 8
I would recommend either politics or sociology (both subjects contain political aspects) as they are considered 'easy' subjects (personally I found both subjects fascinating). The one you drop I would recommend replacing with either a language or English Literature to really up your chances of securing an offer from a 'top' university :smile:
I would love to ask the same question really, my sixth form doesn't offer Politics A-level, so I'm not taking it, but I'm considering doing it at uni, combined with German. Would not having Politics A-level put me at a distinct disadvantage compared to other applicants with Politics at A-level? (Btw, I'm planning on taking Maths, Economics, German and Sociology) Any replies would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by thatgirlbecky
I would love to ask the same question really, my sixth form doesn't offer Politics A-level, so I'm not taking it, but I'm considering doing it at uni, combined with German. Would not having Politics A-level put me at a distinct disadvantage compared to other applicants with Politics at A-level? (Btw, I'm planning on taking Maths, Economics, German and Sociology) Any replies would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Economics and Sociology surely show enough interest in Politics.
Reply 11
Original post by yabbayabba
Economics and Sociology surely show enough interest in Politics.

Ah good, i've chosen those two :smile:
Yeah, that's what I thought - thank you for replying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest