The Student Room Group

New Human Species Found. Possibly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by asmaamahamud
i learnt that they not classified as anything just hybrids. :s-smilie:

But they can breed. Also dogs and wolves are crossed commonly in the USA for pleasure/coolness.
Reply 21
Original post by Pawsies
But they can breed. Also dogs and wolves are crossed commonly in the USA for pleasure/coolness.

I think dogs and wolves are considered the same species.

Personally I find it weird that domestic dogs are all the same species. Think how different great danes and chihuahuas look. If you showed them to someone who has never seen or heard of a dog before, I don't think they'd even recognise them as the same type of animal.
Is there anything on the average heights of these species?
Original post by HeadintheClouds93
I thought because 2 people of different races can produce fertile offspring that it means they are of the same species? I may be wrong though!

this is true
Original post by Pawsies

well it can take millions of years for a species to separate... dogs and wolves must still have the same number of chromosomes etc. and can mate to produce fertile offspring.. they haven't really had "enough time" to speciate.
Reply 25
Original post by Psyk
I think dogs and wolves are considered the same species.

Personally I find it weird that domestic dogs are all the same species. Think how different great danes and chihuahuas look. If you showed them to someone who has never seen or heard of a dog before, I don't think they'd even recognise them as the same type of animal.

canis familiaris
canis lupus

same family but different groupings.
Reply 26
Original post by Pawsies
canis familiaris
canis lupus

According to the Wikipedia page domestic dogs are canis lupus familiaris, a subspecies of wolf. But apparently it was only quite recently reclassified.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog
Reply 27
Original post by Psyk
According to the Wikipedia page domestic dogs are canis lupus familiaris, a subspecies of wolf. But apparently it was only quite recently reclassified.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog

when I was doing my research wiki was the only one to state that. so I'm not sure :confused:
Reply 28
Original post by Pawsies
when I was doing my research wiki was the only one to state that. so I'm not sure :confused:

The wiki points to http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=726821

It says that Canis Familiaris is recognised as synonym because that's what people already knew it as before they reclassified them as a subspecies.
Reply 29
Original post by Pawsies
canis familiaris
canis lupus

That's same Genus :rolleyes: You people need to learn your phylogeny and the idea of sub-species.

Quick Reply