The Student Room Group

Is it bad to do a PhD because you want to put Dr in front of your name?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I Kant Spall
Not funny. :sad:

I'm a spelling nazi, but that emoticon was deftly employed. Consider my heartstrings tugged.
Original post by thegodofgod
Thegodofgod (cf. my username :colone:)

:adore:

Damn it!!! You win! :mad:
I have said "I'll have to do a PhD, I don't want to end up being a 50 year old 'Miss Fahren'..." a few times before, but it's only joking, if I do do one, that won't be the reason.
Original post by InfinitelyVixey
I have said "I'll have to do a PhD, I don't want to end up being a 50 year old 'Miss Fahren'..." a few times before, but it's only joking, if I do do one, that won't be the reason.

:holmes:

If you married someone with the surname 'Heit' and got a double-barrelled surname, it could end up being 'Fahren-heit' :ahee:
Chuck Norris' God :pierre:
Reply 45
I don't think there's anything wrong with being driven by that desire. Although I highly doubt that's enough to drive you through 3+ years or hard grind to achieve the PhD. You definitely need a strong passion for your subject, for research in general, for publishing, etc.

I would say this though... the vast majority of people don't know or understand what a PhD is and if you introduce yourself as Dr X they will assume you are a medical doctor. And then when you explain that you're not, you're in fact.a.PHD...they usually respond with disappointment. This is a bit of ah insult, as medics essentially just do an undergraduate degree, and a phd is a higher achievement than that.

So if you think people are going to understand and acknowledge the achievement.of a.PhD, you're in for a disappointment... Unless, of course, you're happy jot to correct then and take the respect they offer when they assume you are a medic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by InfinitelyVixey

Dr. Fahrenheit would be even cooler

Change your first / middle name to '100 Degrees'

Dr. 100 Degrees Fahrenheit :colone:
Original post by thegodofgod
:holmes:

If you married someone with the surname 'Heit' and got a double-barrelled surname, it could end up being 'Fahren-heit' :ahee:

That would be awesome..

It's a bit of an awkward name, my 'aunt' gets people telling her not to get married into my family, because she'd be 'Karen Fahren'...I think she should haha :P
PhDs are the real doctors.
Original post by Jeester
I'm thinking of doing it for this sole reason.

I am interested in my course but my main reason is I want to be a docter... and I want to put Dr in front of my name so people give me more respect...

It would also be cool to be the first Dr in my family.

Anyone who does a PhD just for the title and to get more respect, doesn't deserve any more respect.
Original post by beepbeeprichie
PhDs are the real doctors.

That's true - normal medical doctors are just honorary doctors.
if you want to go through 7 years or so of uni (3/4 years undergrad, 3 years postgrad), become hugely in debt, all for two letter infront of your name, sure...
Just cal yourself Dr, no-one will know if your lying
Reply 53
Original post by megfashion
if you want to go through 7 years or so of uni (3/4 years undergrad, 3 years postgrad), become hugely in debt, all for two letter infront of your name, sure...

Most PhD funding (which isn't too difficult to secure) covers fees, research costs, plus a generous stipend.

So in most cases (win the exception of self-funded), a PhD costs nothing.
Reply 54
Original post by oo00oo
Most PhD funding (which isn't too difficult to secure) covers fees, research costs, plus a generous stipend.

So in most cases (win the exception of self-funded), a PhD costs nothing.

PhD funding in the Sciences is indeed easier than in the Arts, but it is certainly not easy. Most candidates in the Arts will be self-funded, so the decision to undertake a PhD just for the title is a ludicrous one.
Reply 55
I assumed this was the only reason anybody did a PhD
Reply 56
Original post by u02dpb7
PhD funding in the Sciences is indeed easier than in the Arts, but it is certainly not easy. Most candidates in the Arts will be self-funded, so the decision to undertake a PhD just for the title is a ludicrous one.
Seeing as I study Civil and Environmental Engineering the amount of hype about sustainability going around at the moment I doubt finding funding will be much of an issue.
Reply 57
Original post by u02dpb7

Out of interest, are you self funded?
You could always just fork out the thirty quid and save your self the years of work by getting a deed poll and change your name to "Doctor Joe Bloggs" instead?
Reply 59
Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest