The Student Room Group

Financial Implications of an interruption of study

I'm about to take a IOS due to depression/it affecting my work. I'm 19.

I'll resume January 2013 if I choose to. I'd like to know or recieve advice on what this means for loans/grants and more importantly what this means for my mum, as I'm fairly sure I'm going to be living home. She lost her job and is currently on job seekance allowance herself and recieves benefits.

I guess I'll be 'registered' as living there again. So what will this mean for her benefits? Will I be considered a student still? I know I wont be at the uni cos they wont let me use the library etc but what about financially? Sorry for the vaguenss of all this I really don't know much about benefits and all this.

Thanks,
Nigel
Reply 1
Hi, I'm a mature student interrupting my studies from September to go back to my old job and get some money behind me. You will still hold student status unless you fully withdraw therefore you cannot claim benefits but as you are not in attendance you cannot get student finance either. It's a very sticky situation if you can't find work. You also must make clear to student finance that you have suspended your studies as any payments accidently made when you are suspended can flag up later meaning they refuse to pay you...cause they're daft like that- and lets face it, you dont want the extra stress in your final year. You don't however have to start paying back your loan unless you go over the salary threshold in your time out (unlikely).
Get applying for jobs, I recommend trying your Uni for low level manual/service work as they are likely to respect your situation.
Not sure how it affects your parents money but as I have friends who have received benefits while living with their parents it is probably a case of you're entitlement is what is changeable but while you still have student status you won't get a penny!
Reply 2
http://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/documents/leaflets/interrupting/5075.pdf is very useful in explaining everything despite it being from a different Uni to my own

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending