The Student Room Group

What It's Like To Have A Family Member Who Is Overweight...

I don't really know why I'm posting this, I guess I've always wondered if there others in the same position as me.

My Mum is rather "overweight". This doesn't bother me (but you're probably thinking it does bother me otherwise I wouldn't be writing this) because she's my Mum and that's how I see her.

A lot of people think people who are large don't work and claim benefits. This isn't true. My Mum has a job and always has had a job and we don't claim benefits.

I don't really know what others are going to think of this post. It's just small things... Like when we go on holiday the taxi has to be low so my Mum can climb in it. And when we go to the cinema's we sit in the middle rather than the top. It's nothing major.

She does try to loose weight, but it's not as simple as that. She doesn't eat any fatty foods but in the past before I was born she did... But now with the amount of tablets she takes, it's almost impossible for her to loose weight.

I don't know if anyone will read this, but if you can relate to this in any way, feel free to reply.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by >Username<
I don't really know why I'm posting this, I guess I've always wondered if there others in the same position as me.

My Mum is rather "overweight". This doesn't bother me (but you're probably thinking it does bother me otherwise I wouldn't be writing this) because she's my Mum and that's how I see her.

A lot of people think people who are large don't work and claim benefits. This isn't true. My Mum has a job and always has had a job and we don't claim benefits.

I don't really know what others are going to think of this post. It's just small things... Like when we go on holiday the taxi has to be low so my Mum can climb in it. And when we go to the cinema's we sit in the middle rather than the top. It's nothing major.

She does try to loose weight, but it's not as simple as that. She doesn't eat any fatty foods but in the past before I was born she did... But now with the amount of tablets she takes, it's almost impossible for her to loose weight.

I don't know if anyone will read this, but if you can relate to this in any way, feel free to reply.

Thanks.

A lot of my family is overweight, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I love them to bits. I don't notice any of the small things, and If I did I wouldn't mind.

I would never judge anyone based on their lifestyle choices, of course if I thought they were going to get hurt, I'd let them know I was concerned. But if they choose to be overweight and don't want to do anything about it then that's fine with me :smile:
Reply 2
She doesn't eat any fatty foods

Clearly she does if she's fat.
you don't get fat eating rice and pasta and salads (at least not without adding a load of sauces and dressings and cheese)
Reply 3
Its alright, he is hilarious so you can see past his weight... hell his entire body shape and dress sense actually suits the weight that he is so really? :dontknow:
Original post by almasy
you don't get fat eating rice and pasta and salads (at least not without adding a load of sauces and dressings and cheese)

Well she could be eating bigger portions of healthy food?
its ok.

i dated a fat english girl before and liked to cuddle her, squeeze her, rolle her over exc.

rubbing her cheeks, (vert huge cheeks like hamster and gineua pig)

it was fun but i felt ashamed as she was sooo fat i didn't want anybody to know i was with her and make fun of her extras.

i still care for her though.
Reply 6
Original post by Della_Delos_Gente
its ok.

i dated a fat english girl before and liked to cuddle her, squeeze her, rolle her over exc.

it was fun but i felt ashamed as she was sooo fat i didn't want anybody to know i was with her and make fun of her extras.

just lol.
Reply 7
Original post by jennifer.tariah
Well she could be eating bigger portions of healthy food?

pretty damn difficult to get fat on low fat food

i eat over 10000 calories a day of low fat stuff (fruit) and i still aint putting on much weight (i'm trying my hardest too, some guys giving a 10grand prize to anyone who can prove they got fat on fruit, its proving damn near impossible)

unless she's somehow packing in more food than me which is doubtful of 99% of the population of the world, then she didn't get fat without eating fatty stuff.
My dad is very overweight. He has high blood pressure and sleep apnoea as a result. It's really scary and frustrating cause I'm constantly worried that he is going to have a heart attack/stoke/some other obesity related event that will kill him :frown: The most frustrating thing is he doesn't seem to care! He doesn't even TRY to lose weight, even though he knows how worried we all are. I'm determined as a result of this that I will NEVER allow my weight to become unhealthy. I never want my own children to have so much worry for their mother's health and I wouldn't want to risk leaving them motherless any sooner than I had to.
Reply 9
Original post by almasy

Why would you reply on this if that's all you have to say?

Okay. Everyone eats some form of fatty foods. She does eat some fatty foods, yeah. But compared to before she hardly eats any. The thing is, once you get to a certain weight and you have certain health problems, it's very very hard to shift that weight.
Reply 10
Original post by Della_Delos_Gente
its ok.

If your going to say something as stupid as that, why bother posting?
Reply 11
Original post by tibbles209
My dad is very overweight. He has high blood pressure and sleep apnoea as a result. It's really scary and frustrating cause I'm constantly worried that he is going to have a heart attack/stoke/some other obesity related event that will kill him :frown: The most frustrating thing is he doesn't seem to care! He doesn't even TRY to lose weight, even though he knows how worried we all are. I'm determined as a result of this that I will NEVER allow my weight to become unhealthy. I never want my own children to have so much worry for their mother's health and I wouldn't want to risk leaving them motherless any sooner than I had to.

Yeah, I get what you mean. My Mum's the opposite she realises her mistake, but now she does all she can. But with her health problems like she has arthritis in her knee and varicose veins it's almost impossible for her to loose weight... I hope everything is okay with your Dad. :smile: I worry a lot in general, bur I've spoke to my Mum about this. And I guess... If something is going to happen, it's going to happen, so there's no point in worrying about it. Plus my Mum manages it well. Thanks for your story though, it's nice to hear.
Reply 12
Original post by lsaul95
A lot of my family is overweight, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I love them to bits. I don't notice any of the small things, and If I did I wouldn't mind.

I would never judge anyone based on their lifestyle choices, of course if I thought they were going to get hurt, I'd let them know I was concerned. But if they choose to be overweight and don't want to do anything about it then that's fine with me :smile:

I get you completely. I think to others they pick things up. But with us, there are family... So that's how we see them. Like I'd never even think of my Mum has overweight or anything. I just see her as my Mum. :smile:
Reply 13
I get you completely. I think to others they pick things up. But with us, there are family... So that's how we see them. Like I'd never even think of my Mum has overweight or anything. I just see her as my Mum. :smile:

Exactly :biggrin:
Reply 14
Well, my mother used to be stick-thin, but then she got pregnant with my sister and I, and since we're twins she had to be careful and couldn't exercise as much as she used to. :/ Sometimes I feel a bit guilty.

She's a healthy eater and has a good job, but she doesn't exercise as much as she should. She isn't really determined to lose those kilos.
Original post by almasy
pretty damn difficult to get fat on low fat food

i eat over 10000 calories a day of low fat stuff (fruit) and i still aint putting on much weight (i'm trying my hardest too, some guys giving a 10grand prize to anyone who can prove they got fat on fruit, its proving damn near impossible)

unless she's somehow packing in more food than me which is doubtful of 99% of the population of the world, then she didn't get fat without eating fatty stuff.

10 000 calories a day from fruit? I wonder, how often do you need to run to the bathroom? :tongue:

Anyway, OP and everyone else, my brother and mum are overweight too. I don't think much about it or notice anymore, it's how I've known them my whole life. I used to be overweight myself. They are trying to be healthier though and I'm proud of them for it :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by aneemilie
Well, my mother used to be stick-thin, but then she got pregnant with my sister and I, and since we're twins she had to be careful and couldn't exercise as much as she used to. :/ Sometimes I feel a bit guilty.

She's a healthy eater and has a good job, but she doesn't exercise as much as she should. She isn't really determined to lose those kilos.

That's interesting, actually. Because my Mum put on a lot of weight when she was pregnant with me and my brother...
My uncle recently had to have a triple bypass due to health complications from being so overweight, but he's an extreme. However, since the operation he's lost 90lbs!
Everyone on my Dad's side of the family are overweight, it only bothers me when it begins to severely effect their health.
My husband is morbidly obese. It's hard, I'm his carer - without me he can't even have a wash or anything. But he's making an effort to lose it which is positive at least.

Thanks.

Me, my mother and my father are all average but my sister is quite large. :frown:

She lives in another city and every time she comes to visit she looks like she's got bigger and it upsets me. I actually wanted to cry the first time I noticed it. I worry about her health but I worry about nasty comments other people might say.

The frustrating thing is, I'm hoping to work in nutrition/fitness one day and I've been lifting weights for years, so she's got the best possible brother to give her all the correct information to lose weight but you can't bring it up as it's a sensitive issue, so I hope one day she asks me for advice. :frown:

Quick Reply