The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Anyone applying to study optometry for 2011 at aston university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rosi M
:eek: :eek: :eek: ABB this year?!?!?! Whoaaaa major shock. i got a damn offer for bio A Chem A psychology B! Some people i met in interview got offer for AAA. I have hope now! :tongue:

LOL they often make the offers higher than the grades they let you in with. it's their way of making students work harder i suppose.
haha, believe me, with the grades you're getting, you'll definitely get in. just keep up the good work :smile: yay!
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by AartiSmarti
LOL they often make the offers higher than the grades they let you in with. it's their way of making students work harder i suppose.
haha, believe me, with the grades you're getting, you'll definitely get in. just keep up the good work :smile: yay!

Haha aw thanks! I hope so :biggrin:

See, another reason why they all so evil.. torturing us like that.
Reply 22
Original post by Rosi M
Haha aw thanks! I hope so :biggrin:

See, another reason why they all so evil.. torturing us like that.

that's alright :biggrin:

I KNOW! evil beings. LOL
Reply 23

Hello peoples,

i've applied to aston university, got an offer for optometry. was wondering if there's any others on here that are doing the same.

if so, then oink.

Just wondering, what were your predicted grades?
I got an offer from Aston after less than 3 weeks: AAA in Biology, Physics and Psychology.

I really love Anglia Ruskin though and I really want to put it as my firm choice, but it would be stupid to have somewhere with higher entry requirements as my insurance, however that's what it's looking like right now!

Does anyone know if many Optometry places go to clearing?
Reply 25
hey guys,

so i got an offer for optometry for 2012, and I was just wondering how you guys are finding the program and how the courses are, and if you have any advice about accommodations and such?
Reply 26
Original post by britchick
I got an offer from Aston after less than 3 weeks: AAA in Biology, Physics and Psychology.

I really love Anglia Ruskin though and I really want to put it as my firm choice, but it would be stupid to have somewhere with higher entry requirements as my insurance, however that's what it's looking like right now!

Does anyone know if many Optometry places go to clearing?

hi, im currently studying my AS levels, im studying biology,chemistry,physics, RS. i really want to apply to Aston to do Optometry. i was just wondering what your predicted grades were, and what you got at th end of your AS levls? if you dont mind me asking :smile:
Original post by rahema
hi, im currently studying my AS levels, im studying biology,chemistry,physics, RS. i really want to apply to Aston to do Optometry. i was just wondering what your predicted grades were, and what you got at th end of your AS levls? if you dont mind me asking :smile:

I think I may have just replied to you in the Anglia Ruskin thread but anywho!

I also did Biology and Physics AS and am still doing them both at A2. Since starting A-levels I have found Physics really hard because I don't do Maths. At AS, only myself + 3 other students did Physics without Maths. We all got Ds and Es at the end of AS. The 3 other girls dropped Physics. But I had to carry it on because you need 2 sciences for Optometry.

So yeah. At the end of AS I got a D in Physics. Was obviously devastated because I didn't think I'd get one single uni offer. But I made sure I wrote a cracking personal statement and did 2-3 weeks work experience to help compensate. I ended up getting 3 offers and 1 interview for Optometry.

My predicted grades for AS were ABAC (Psych, Bio, English Lit, Physics).
At the end of AS as a whole I got AABD (Psych, Bio, English Lit, Physics). I dropped English Lit and am predicted A*AB (Psych, Bio, Physics) by the end of A2.

Since getting the D I have worked my bum off and re-sat last summer's Physics paper. After the re-sit I went from a low-E to getting 2 UMS off an A :biggrin:

If you work hard, you'll get what you deserve :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
I think I may have just replied to you in the Anglia Ruskin thread but anywho!

I also did Biology and Physics AS and am still doing them both at A2. Since starting A-levels I have found Physics really hard because I don't do Maths. At AS, only myself + 3 other students did Physics without Maths. We all got Ds and Es at the end of AS. The 3 other girls dropped Physics. But I had to carry it on because you need 2 sciences for Optometry.

So yeah. At the end of AS I got a D in Physics. Was obviously devastated because I didn't think I'd get one single uni offer. But I made sure I wrote a cracking personal statement and did 2-3 weeks work experience to help compensate. I ended up getting 3 offers and 1 interview for Optometry.

My predicted grades for AS were ABAC (Psych, Bio, English Lit, Physics).
At the end of AS as a whole I got AABD (Psych, Bio, English Lit, Physics). I dropped English Lit and am predicted A*AB (Psych, Bio, Physics) by the end of A2.

Since getting the D I have worked my bum off and re-sat last summer's Physics paper. After the re-sit I went from a low-E to getting 2 UMS off an A :biggrin:

If you work hard, you'll get what you deserve :smile:

yeah you did lol
wow you did amazing, and its really weird because im in the same position as you because i did physics but didnt take maths, an i found it really hard but i think im okay now but still not 100%.
yeah true im trying to do as much as i can.
do you mind me asking what uni's you applied to ?:smile:
Original post by rahema
yeah you did lol
wow you did amazing, and its really weird because im in the same position as you because i did physics but didnt take maths, an i found it really hard but i think im okay now but still not 100%.
yeah true im trying to do as much as i can.
do you mind me asking what uni's you applied to ?:smile:

Yeah I'm not gonna lie it is really hard to keep up because everybody else already knows how to do the A-level maths (logarithms, etc at A2) which you just have to pick up on really quick to keep up with the rest of the class, but if you're determined it can be done. And I'm sure your teachers wouldn't mind seeing you once or twice a week in a free lesson or lunchtime or something like that if it helps :smile:
The maths definitely does get better! And all I can say is practise, practise, practise. It really does make perfect (or near enough!)

I applied to Anglia Ruskin, Aston, City, Manchester and Plymouth all for optometry. I got rejected from Plymouth because I'm only predicted B in physics, and got an interview for Manchester but declined it because I'd already got offers from my top 3 (and Manchester is really far away for me to go in a day just for the sake of it)!

And I've firmed Anglia Ruskin and put Aston as my insurance for the hell of it.

Do you know which ones you're looking at?
Reply 30
Yeah I'm not gonna lie it is really hard to keep up because everybody else already knows how to do the A-level maths (logarithms, etc at A2) which you just have to pick up on really quick to keep up with the rest of the class, but if you're determined it can be done. And I'm sure your teachers wouldn't mind seeing you once or twice a week in a free lesson or lunchtime or something like that if it helps :smile:
The maths definitely does get better! And all I can say is practise, practise, practise. It really does make perfect (or near enough!)

I applied to Anglia Ruskin, Aston, City, Manchester and Plymouth all for optometry. I got rejected from Plymouth because I'm only predicted B in physics, and got an interview for Manchester but declined it because I'd already got offers from my top 3 (and Manchester is really far away for me to go in a day just for the sake of it)!

And I've firmed Anglia Ruskin and put Aston as my insurance for the hell of it.

Do you know which ones you're looking at?

yeah the maths in Physics at AS is awful! but i seem to be getting the hang of it. well i really want to go to Aston but i dont think ill get the grades so i may hopefully be applying at Anglia Ruskin, and also because i dont think ill get the grades for optom i may apply for Orthoptics or find a different route completely into Optometry. im just going to have to work my socks of and wait till results day !
could i ask how much work experience you did ?:smile:
Original post by rahema
yeah the maths in Physics at AS is awful! but i seem to be getting the hang of it. well i really want to go to Aston but i dont think ill get the grades so i may hopefully be applying at Anglia Ruskin, and also because i dont think ill get the grades for optom i may apply for Orthoptics or find a different route completely into Optometry. im just going to have to work my socks of and wait till results day !
could i ask how much work experience you did ?:smile:

Not to put you off but the maths at A2 is so much worse, I'm effectively sitting the whole A-level in this one year because I'm doing both AS paper re-sits, and omg do I feel stupid - I just think to myself HOW did I not get this before?! but at the time it is so so so hard. Lol so the bright side is if you end up re-sitting any AS papers in your A2 you'll find it's so much easier which is good :P

That's a good idea to keep your options open, perhaps a foundation 2 year course like Ophthalmic Dispensing could be something you could look into before doing Optometry maybe. Yeah just work your absolute hardest, I believe you can do it! :smile:

I did 2 weeks in one opticians, then 2 days in another, and I've organised to do a week or two in a hospital this summer for fun hehe
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Not to put you off but the maths at A2 is so much worse, I'm effectively sitting the whole A-level in this one year because I'm doing both AS paper re-sits, and omg do I feel stupid - I just think to myself HOW did I not get this before?! but at the time it is so so so hard. Lol so the bright side is if you end up re-sitting any AS papers in your A2 you'll find it's so much easier which is good :P

That's a good idea to keep your options open, perhaps a foundation 2 year course like Ophthalmic Dispensing could be something you could look into before doing Optometry maybe. Yeah just work your absolute hardest, I believe you can do it! :smile:

I did 2 weeks in one opticians, then 2 days in another, and I've organised to do a week or two in a hospital this summer for fun hehe

thank you !!!
what exam board for physics are you learning?
i was just wondering if you know any information about defering onto the optometry course at aston like do a biomedical science degree first and then go on to acheive like a 2:1 and then get defered onto the optometry degree.
Original post by rahema
thank you !!!
what exam board for physics are you learning?
i was just wondering if you know any information about defering onto the optometry course at aston like do a biomedical science degree first and then go on to acheive like a 2:1 and then get defered onto the optometry degree.

I'm on the Edexcel board for physics, how about you? And no I can't really help you with deferrals, I wouldn't know where to start with them! Do you have a careers advisor at your school/college? Mine was sooo useful and really supportive with giving advice and information and stuff including discussing your options - if you're unsure about anything I really suggest organising a 10-15 minute session with them or something :biggrin:
Reply 34
I'm on the Edexcel board for physics, how about you? And no I can't really help you with deferrals, I wouldn't know where to start with them! Do you have a careers advisor at your school/college? Mine was sooo useful and really supportive with giving advice and information and stuff including discussing your options - if you're unsure about anything I really suggest organising a 10-15 minute session with them or something :biggrin:

Im currently doing AQA Physics A. mmmmmm yeah i think i might just do that, but I need to see if its avaiable at the school im at, but i think it would hlp loads if i new all my options.
so is your Biology a level Edxecel as well ? im doing my unit 1 Biology re sit in less than 25 days, and im revising but keep losing marks on past papers. :frown:
Original post by rahema
Im currently doing AQA Physics A. mmmmmm yeah i think i might just do that, but I need to see if its avaiable at the school im at, but i think it would hlp loads if i new all my options.
so is your Biology a level Edxecel as well ? im doing my unit 1 Biology re sit in less than 25 days, and im revising but keep losing marks on past papers. :frown:

Yeah you should check that out, I really think it would help. If not, arrange a meeting with the head of sixth form - any information is a help :smile: and yep I'm on Edexcel biology. I got 108/120 UMS for Unit 1, the best out of the 3 papers I've done so far. I may possibly be re-sitting Unit 2 in a few weeks depending on what mark my teacher gives me for my coursework - if it's good enough I won't have to re-sit (fingers crossed!)
Just keep practising past papers and reading the mark schemes and examiner's reports.

Bit of advice: do past paper Qs for a certain topic after you've written all your notes for that section i.e. write all your notes on phospholipids then search through papers and answer the Qs on phospholipids while it's still in your memory, then move onto revising the next topic and do the same. Then once you've covered all topics, sit the past papers all the way through :smile:
Reply 36
got an offer from Aston for the MOptom course starting in 2012!...anyone else..?
Hello, I know this is really really late, but I'm still in year 11 going towards A Level. I want to know what you guys chose as your options for A level to study Optometry at Aston. I want to go Aston hopefully! Thanks!
Original post by manlad1
got an offer from Aston for the MOptom course starting in 2012!...anyone else..?

Could you tell me what your A level options were for optometry? Thanks!:smile:
Reply 39
Hi,

My name is Tony
I also got an unconditional offer to study optometry 2014 . I was looking if it is possible to get some student who are in their first year and moving on to year two, so I can get the lecture notes or lecture slides for year one modules.

Quick Reply

Latest