The Student Room Group

UK doctor working in America?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by djsabi93
Hey, so I have an offer from the University of Manchester for Medicine and I have also got into Boston University for their 4 year Pre-Med course.

Eventually I would like to practice in the US, unsure about where to study.

It would just be 6 years at Manchester, while at BU I would have to apply for Medical School again so it would total up to 8 years.

Advice?

If you can afford it, studying in America is hands-down the best option. It is much harder to re-enter the system as an IMG.
Original post by djsabi93
Hey, so I have an offer from the University of Manchester for Medicine and I have also got into Boston University for their 4 year Pre-Med course.

Eventually I would like to practice in the US, unsure about where to study.

It would just be 6 years at Manchester, while at BU I would have to apply for Medical School again so it would total up to 8 years.

Advice?

If you are intent on working in the US, without a doubt go to BU.
Reply 82
Original post by digitalis
If you are intent on working in the US, without a doubt go to BU.

Wait hold on, he said it's a pre-med course. That doesn't mean anything...it's not a guarantee of a medical admission.

If he doesn't do well in that pre-med course then he will have wasted the opportunity to do medicine. It's not impossible to return to the US following medicine in the UK, however if he doesn't get solid grades in the pre-med course, he might as well just give up on US med schools anyways.

Don't think it's quite a cut and dried decision.
Original post by .eXe
Wait hold on, he said it's a pre-med course. That doesn't mean anything...it's not a guarantee of a medical admission.

If he doesn't do well in that pre-med course then he will have wasted the opportunity to do medicine. It's not impossible to return to the US following medicine in the UK, however if he doesn't get solid grades in the pre-med course, he might as well just give up on US med schools anyways.

Don't think it's quite a cut and dried decision.

Oh for goodness sake....

Yes, it is that cut and dry. Doing a decent pre med course will help him get a decent med school place which will get a decent residency in a speciality that he wants.

You keep banging on about it not being difficult about returning to the US, please enlighten me some more. I am a UK graduate to be, who has flogged through the Steps and two sub-Is, talked to residents both AMG, Carib and IMG and program directors in person and know the score pretty well now. First hand experience, not from a 'friend of a friend who went to Ross and now matched into Ortho at a uni program'

Read this post for a reality check.
Reply 84
I'm considering going to america, I would prefer to go to Canada but thats even harder to get into than the States it seems.

I wonder if doing an intercalation BSc helps to make you more comparable to the US students, even though the grading system may be different. I've just started to study for my USMLE step 1s and its bringing back all my year 1 and year 2 knowledge that I thought I had forgotten.lol.

Hopefully it will help correlate well with my intercalation Bsc that I'm doing this Sept.
Reply 85
Oh for goodness sake....

Yes, it is that cut and dry. Doing a decent pre med course will help him get a decent med school place which will get a decent residency in a speciality that he wants.

You keep banging on about it not being difficult about returning to the US, please enlighten me some more. I am a UK graduate to be, who has flogged through the Steps and two sub-Is, talked to residents both AMG, Carib and IMG and program directors in person and know the score pretty well now. First hand experience, not from a 'friend of a friend who went to Ross and now matched into Ortho at a uni program'

Read this post for a reality check.

Im not saying youre wrong, just that its not such a black and white decision. Also, as im sure u know already he decency of the premed program has nothing to do with med school. All they want is a strong gpa which is easier said than done. Thats all im saying, its not so cut and dry because undergrad degrees in premed courses are hard. I know, i have one. Its no walk i the park and i would just advise him to keep both opportunities open and consider each on its own merit rather than just closing his eyes and gunning for a premed.
Original post by .eXe
Also, as im sure u know already he decency of the premed program has nothing to do with med school.

So you don't think someone who scraped together a 'premed' course at Podunk College vs a Yale undergrad isn't going to be considered better by a Dean? Sure.
Reply 87
So you don't think someone who scraped together a 'premed' course at Podunk College vs a Yale undergrad isn't going to be considered better by a Dean? Sure.

A 3.9 gpa from random college versus 3.3 from harvard. I guarantee you sir, the kid from random college will get preference. To be honest most of the med school selection is done by computer until the interview stage, and a computer knows not ivey league or otherwise.
Reply 88
This thread is great, I'm looking to work in America also, (although, I dare say I'm looking a bit early, I only start medicine at St Andrews this September.)

I'll be doing 3 years at St Andrews, and then the last 3 at Glasgow probably, when would be the best time to start studying towards step 1? I know I'd probably sit it in the summer of year 5 (of my 6 year course), but I'd be keen on getting started as early as possible after hearing how hard it is. Should I just continually work on it alongside my course?
Reply 89

Hi digitalis,

I tried to private message you but completely understand why you would have that feature switched off.

*However* I'd really like to have a chat with you and was wondering if you'd possibly drop me a message?

I'm currently in my fourth year of medical school (of 6 - so first clinical year) and have always thought seriously about the idea of moving to America but never really looked into it properly or made a firm decision either way. Anwyay - I've finally sat myself down and had a think and decided it's what I want to do. So after seeing your posts I thought you'd be a great person to chat to and ask a few questions. Out of interest - what stage of the whole process are you at at the moment? You seem very dedicated and informed so I really do hope it's going well for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending