The Student Room Group

£36,000? Really?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sternumator
Sorry I don't understand the post. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

He is basically the only person in this thread that understands what I have been saying.

Other puppets just pop up and spout rubbish without reading my posts properly.

According to them:

IKB want 2 scrounge off da gov 4 his nxt degree init omfgg y cant he jus gt a propa jobbe

:rolleyes:
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
He is basically the only person in this thread that understands what I have been saying.

Other puppets just pop up and spout rubbish without reading my posts properly.

According to them:

IKB want 2 scrounge off da gov 4 his nxt degree init omfgg y cant he jus gt a propa jobbe

:rolleyes:

Well you said thats whats wrong with the country. You want another degree and it costs 36k to provide that. You dont have the money to pay for it yourself and you don't want to scronge money off the government. So what do you want?
Well you said thats whats wrong with the country. You want another degree and it costs 36k to provide that. You dont have the money to pay for it yourself and you don't want to scronge money off the government. So what do you want?

What's wrong with the country is the PRICE of education.

I never said it's wrong that they won't give me a second free degree.

Jeez. :rolleyes:
Reply 23
If the whole point is learning, why not buy some books..?
What's wrong with the country is the PRICE of education.

I never said it's wrong that they won't give me a second free degree.

Jeez. :rolleyes:

But that isnt the country that is just what the price is, the government don't set that. The price of oil is $90 a barrel that is not the countrys fault. Saying the government should pay for all of my oil or the government should pay half the cost of my oil are in principle the same. The government is still paying for your oil whether they pay $90 for each barrel you have or $45 for each barrel you are still taking money from others.
you could easily steal some education if you wanted. Anyone could walk into a lecture theatre off the street and nobody would question it.
Reply 26
u can consider doing a conversion master but it would be quite an expensive hobby
Reply 27
I find it funny that so many people are missing the point...

Try reading my posts before chipping in with irksome diaspora.

wut?

Anyway the cost hasn't gone up, as others have stated it's the subsidy that's come down.
The g'ment can't be subsidsing people to be permastudents.
But that isnt the country that is just what the price is, the government don't set that. The price of oil is $90 a barrel that is not the countrys fault. Saying the government should pay for all of my oil or the government should pay half the cost of my oil are in principle the same. The government is still paying for your oil whether they pay $90 for each barrel you have or $45 for each barrel you are still taking money from others.

no way does it cost it cost 9k+ for a few hours of teaching a week.

also OPEC price fix.
Reply 29
Original post by Bellissima
the government pays out for degrees because they usually benefit them in the long run. how would you doing countless degrees as a hobby benefit them? why should the government fund a hobby? why should i or my nextdoor neighbour or steve from liverpool pay for your hobby?

you don't need a degree to learn.

Is 2 really countless? Maths teaching in England is even worse than I feared!
Reply 30
Such a shame that I cannot go back to uni unless I win the lottery. Sums up everything that is wrong with this country.

and why is that?
Reply 31
I am interested in going back to uni to study something else as a hobby, as my previous UG degree was obtained 2 years ago and now I am bored.

However, degrees are now £9k per year? Plus at least £3k per year compus accom.

Is there no way of doing any kind of study at a bricks and mortar uni without these ludicrous prices?

I'm actually happy for these prices. This means less smart mouth mature students like yourself will be going to university.
Original post by Yellow_Watermelon

also OPEC price fix.

Well it must do or they wouldnt be charging it. The money goes into funding the uni, nobody takes it as profit.

OPEC price fix but we cant do anything about that in the uk we just have to deal with it.
Reply 33
Problem is it's sometimes harder to learn by yourself. I wanted to prepare beforehand for my 2nd year but I just wasn't able to during the summer because I needed some prior guidance, insight or the right path to be shown or that specific way of thought that sometimes isn't available from books alone. I mean it would be extremely hard to learn martial arts like kickboxing by yourself reading books and watching youtube videos. I mean even brucelee needed to be thought a bit at first before he made up his own stuff, what im trying to say is you need a teacher sometimes to give you those little insights.
Geniuses only pop up every now and then and I certianly ain't one of them...atleast not yet :colone:

By increasing the prices of uni it will now be needed to work at least 2-4 times longer than you would have before to fund yourself to study in an other discipline where you can support yourself financially because the government certainly wont fund you, why should they they already did once and no one here is asking for that nor expect it.

Currently you are expected to just be knowledgeable in just one discipline and work for the rest of yourlife? lolwut?
There's also the other side of the coin that hasn't been explored yet. e.g You've just got your 1:1 in physics, well done...but do you know how to implement that in the immune system or biological systems? By people being thought multiple disciplines discoveries would probably be more common and we advance faster.

My personal plan was grad from biochem, work for like 10 something years and save up so I could study physics so that I could possibly contribute to determining a proteins structure just by looking at its amino acid sequence. Just an example. Now that's kinda out the window.

Not everyone is content with just one discipline
Reply 34
Original post by DarkTitan
Problem is it's sometimes harder to learn by yourself. I wanted to prepare beforehand for my 2nd year but I just wasn't able to during the summer because I needed some prior guidance, insight or the right path to be shown or that specific way of thought that sometimes isn't available from books alone. I mean it would be extremely hard to learn martial arts like kickboxing by yourself reading books and watching youtube videos. I mean even brucelee needed to be thought a bit at first before he made up his own stuff, what im trying to say is you need a teacher sometimes to give you those little insights.
Geniuses only pop up every now and then and I certianly ain't one of them...atleast not yet :colone:

By increasing the prices of uni it will now be needed to work at least 2-4 times longer than you would have before to fund yourself to study in an other discipline where you can support yourself financially because the government certainly wont fund you, why should they they already did once and no one here is asking for that nor expect it.

Currently you are expected to just be knowledgeable in just one discipline and work for the rest of yourlife? lolwut?
There's also the other side of the coin that hasn't been explored yet. e.g You've just got your 1:1 in physics, well done...but do you know how to implement that in the immune system or biological systems? By people being thought multiple disciplines discoveries would probably be more common and we advance faster.

My personal plan was grad from biochem, work for like 10 something years and save up so I could study physics so that I could possibly contribute to determining a proteins structure just by looking at its amino acid sequence. Just an example. Now that's kinda out the window.

Not everyone is content with just one discipline

if you want to take part in research i don't really understand why you wouldn't try get research council funding for a phd if you've got a medical type research proposal rather than arsing around getting a second undergrad just for the sake of a module or 2 that might be relevent.
I have had my free degree.

I don't want another free degree.

I just prefered the previous payscale (i.e. £3k per year). The recent price hike is ludicrous, and prices people like me out of the system, who are even willing to spend their life savings to get back in uni.

I'm pretty sure 2nd degree prices were not 3k a year before the recent price changes. For 1st degree students they were 3.4k with a loan, but a 2nd 3 year undergrad was in the same region as international students would pay.
I am interested in going back to uni to study something else as a hobby, as my previous UG degree was obtained 2 years ago and now I am bored.

However, degrees are now £9k per year? Plus at least £3k per year compus accom.

Is there no way of doing any kind of study at a bricks and mortar uni without these ludicrous prices?

Why not do a part-time Masters? If you have a degree in a scientific subject but want to study, say history, why not do the Imperial/UCL MSc in the history of science. They won't have a problem with someone coming from a science background and the fees are about £1900 per year.
Reply 37
I have a thirst for knowledge, especially in the travel, history, lesiure, languages fields. Even if it doesn't lead to good careers I still love to enhance knowledge in those fields. I think it's great that people want to further their education, and I know I'm not the only one.

To pay my way for further degrees is my hobby/career in a way (as long as it leads to personal enhancement), but with modern prices I am simply priced out of the market.

I have a thirst for beer, but I don't expect the state to provide it.
Original post by tufc
I have a thirst for beer, but I don't expect the state to provide it.

you'd likely protest if the state, which has a large role in the pricing of alcohol, put the price up by a factor of 4. That's the whole of this lad's complaint, as I understand it. Complain about the fee increases as someone doing a first degree and you'll here be cheered to the echo, largely because there are so many others here affected in the same way. But complain at the increases as they bear on a 2nd BA, where these can't be deferred in the same way, and suddenly you want the moon on a stick, it seems.
Original post by Yellow_Watermelon

also OPEC price fix.

What about the cost of buying thousands of books and maintaining them in a library that is easy for all students to use?

What about the costs of the salaries of all the support staff - cleaners, security staff, teaching assistants?

What about the cost of water, electricity and Internet to cover the entire campus?

What about the cost of all the practical equipment used in science and engineering degrees, among others?

What about the cost of renevating and upgrading learning spaces on a regular basis?

I could go on and on...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending