The Student Room Group

M1 24/05/12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cazman34
How about the acceleration of the particle moving down the slope? Tell me you got 1.06ms^-2 as well haha

1.05 m/s^2 so yeah, close enough

Edit: I rounded alpha here
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
For that last question were we ment to split the shapes into two or three? Bc I split it into 3. And has anyone got the paper??
Reply 22
What did everyone get as alpha?
Reply 23
I found the test today really quite nice, in comparison to all the other papers.

I got stuck on finding the tension AP (question 6) because I managed to skip over the part which said P had a weight, so ended up with the tension equal to 0. Realised my mistake in the end.

Other question I probably lost a mark on is the height the sky diver fell. I rushed it and got height is aprox. 817.3m or something similar to that. Anyone else get that?
How about the acceleration of the particle moving down the slope? Tell me you got 1.06ms^-2 as well haha

I got that :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Astonix
I found the test today really quite nice, in comparison to all the other papers.

I got stuck on finding the tension AP (question 6) because I managed to skip over the part which said P had a weight, so ended up with the tension equal to 0. Realised my mistake in the end.

Other question I probably lost a mark on is the height the sky diver fell. I rushed it and got height is aprox. 817.3m or something similar to that. Anyone else get that?

I got something around 817.3 too, probably exactly that :P
Reply 26
Original post by priteshp
For that last question were we ment to split the shapes into two or three? Bc I split it into 3. And has anyone got the paper??

I split it into 3. You were meant to I think. They drew dotted lines splitting it up into three, and I don't know a simple way of finding the area and CoM of an L-shape without splitting it into 2.
Reply 27

If you're on about question 6, I got alpha as about 54 I think.
I got something around 817.3 too, probably exactly that :P

807.5m if I remember rightly

Which one? I remember alpha being 52.57 or something..

I thought the exam went really well:smile:
I'm glad that no trick questions were thrown out there; I was panicking like mad prior to the exam.

Does anyone remember what they got for v on question 7 - the hot air balloon question? I got 49, which for some reason doesn't seem right.
Reply 30
Original post by Astonix
I split it into 3. You were meant to I think. They drew dotted lines splitting it up into three, and I don't know a simple way of finding the area and CoM of an L-shape without splitting it into 2.

Pheww I can't remember my answer most probs got most of marks for that anyways.

Any grade boundaries prediction?????
Original post by Perpetuallity
807.5m if I remember rightly

Ah yes, I got that:smile: Really happy now!
Original post by ConstantlyStressed

I'm glad that no trick questions were thrown out there; I was panicking like mad prior to the exam.

Does anyone remember what they got for v on question 7 - the hot air balloon question? I got 49, which for some reason doesn't seem right.

Yep, that's what I got :smile:

v=u + at = 0 + 5(9.8) = 49m/s
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by ConstantlyStressed

That is right what's what I got
Original post by Perpetuallity
Yep, that's what I got :smile:

v=u + at = 0 + 5(9.8) = 49m/s

Yes...I feel so relieved...

Now I've got C4 to study for..blegh:mad:
Reply 35
Yeah, I seem to be getting what others are getting. Some numbers I remember: 807.m for the SUVATs question, 29000N and 60kg for 1. a and b respectively. 0.4m for the equilibrium question. Coefficient of Restitution = 0.36. I remember a 41.2N, and alpha equaling 57.? somewhere.

A nice paper overall, I think I've lost some marks at the end of Question 3 and 9, but I got the main marks anyway. Hopefully the A grade boundary is around 58~
Reply 36
So for that alpha question did ppl do tan-1 the number they gave for the angle???
Reply 37
Original post by priteshp
So for that alpha question did ppl do tan-1 the number they gave for the angle???

I used,

(Rcos(θ))2+(Rsin(θ))2=302+4g2(Rcos(\theta))^2 + (Rsin(\theta))^2 = 30^2 + 4g^2

and as you (should) know, the cos^2 and sin^2 cancel to 1, so left with R, which I then plugged back in to previous equations to get alpha.

I checked it with the tan method in the exam too and came out with the same answer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Anyone have an unofficial mark scheme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending