The Student Room Group

Don't know which direction I'm heading in.

I'm 20 years old and finished college 2 years ago with a BTEC National Diploma in Sports and Exercise Science with a PPP mark. I am still currently trying to pass my maths GCSE, I have applied for a foundation degree in Adult Nursing and a foundation degree in Midwifery at Truro/Plymouth University, I have been declined for the second time this year, and am waiting for clearing to start. I am visually impaired so cannot drive. I am so frustrated with why I've been declined again, I have put my maths mark as pending, as they requested and I was still declined, with immense pressure from my parents and me just being generally bored, living at home growing up with a pretty poor waitressing job. Just need some advice on clearing, also I would love to work in Health, I've looked at Apprenticeships, but can anyone give me any tips on how to make my way into either university or anyway I can still work in Healthcare avoiding Care homes, people knowing from experience, or am I missing something? Also are there any careers I can work my way up through to gain a decent salary and general life?
Reply 1
Have you ever considered an Access course at a college? They basically give you the qualifications to go on to University and you can do them in Nursing + Midwifery :smile:
They do have a fee however but it varies at different colleges.
You really will need to get that maths GCSE up - that's probably one of the major sticking points. Have you looked at the option of doing a GCSE equivalent, such as Key Skills?

In terms of careers in health that don't require a degree, have you thought about becoming a healthcare assistant? They work in hospitals, and do a lot of the hands-on care that nurses have traditionally done. It's often seen as a good way for people applying to medicine to get experience, and so being an HCA can only help you in any subsequent applications to uni.

Perhaps dental nursing would be an option? It doesn't have particularly high academic requirements, and I believe that people tend to learn on the job.
Reply 3
Thankyou guys :smile: especially doughnut, I've looked into Access Courses and they look quite interesting just worried about living costs. X

Quick Reply