The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone got isas? how do you revise?
Reply 2
i completed my physics ISA last year, the topic was on factors affecting the extension of a rubber band, with the context being luggage cords used on suitcases. but this changes every year, so i wouldn't focus on this topic too much.

you can't really 'revise', as such. you just need to make sure you're 100% clear on all the key terms that will come up in EVERY paper, trust me. here are the main ones you need to learn, so memorise them carefully! (i've taken the definitions from a GCSE revision guide, so they're accurate):

accurate = an accurate measurement is one that is close to the true value
random error = readings are different to true value, they may be compensated by taking a large number of readings
systematic error = cause readings to be spread around true value by using a wrongly calibrated instrument
zero error = caused by measuring instruments that have a false zero
fair test = only the independent variable has been allowed to influence the dependent variable
precision = determined by number of scale divisions on measuring instrument
reliability = results are considered reliable if tests can be repeated and a similar pattern is shown

then you'll also need to learn the different types of variables, e.g. categoric, continuous, discrete etc. etc.

and make sure you've memorised the method you'll need to carry out the experiment, because in your paper there'll be a 9 mark question asking you to explain your method, equipment needed, variables, and risk factor (what is dangerous, how can risks be reduced?)

good luck! :smile:
Original post by syhash
i completed my physics ISA last year, the topic was on factors affecting the extension of a rubber band, with the context being luggage cords used on suitcases. but this changes every year, so i wouldn't focus on this topic too much.

you can't really 'revise', as such. you just need to make sure you're 100% clear on all the key terms that will come up in EVERY paper, trust me. here are the main ones you need to learn, so memorise them carefully! (i've taken the definitions from a GCSE revision guide, so they're accurate):

accurate = an accurate measurement is one that is close to the true value
random error = readings are different to true value, they may be compensated by taking a large number of readings
systematic error = cause readings to be spread around true value by using a wrongly calibrated instrument
zero error = caused by measuring instruments that have a false zero
fair test = only the independent variable has been allowed to influence the dependent variable
precision = determined by number of scale divisions on measuring instrument
reliability = results are considered reliable if tests can be repeated and a similar pattern is shown

then you'll also need to learn the different types of variables, e.g. categoric, continuous, discrete etc. etc.

and make sure you've memorised the method you'll need to carry out the experiment, because in your paper there'll be a 9 mark question asking you to explain your method, equipment needed, variables, and risk factor (what is dangerous, how can risks be reduced?)

good luck! :smile:

Hey, don't suppose you have any notes on the rubber band ISA? I missed my Physics lesson because I was ill :frown: Don't understand it completely, on the planning sheet, we aren't meant to write word for word... :confused:
Reply 4
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
Hey, don't suppose you have any notes on the rubber band ISA? I missed my Physics lesson because I was ill :frown: Don't understand it completely, on the planning sheet, we aren't meant to write word for word... :confused:

Yes I do! It depends on what factor you're testing, but when I did the rubber band ISA, I tested how different masses added to the rubber band change the extension. So for this, I hung the rubber band from a clamp stand, then attached different masses (1kg, 2kg etc.) to the rubber band and measured with a ruler how far the rubber band stretched for each mass. Then you just have to put your results in a table and a graph.
Is this what you mean? If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them! :smile:
Other than the definitions I cant think of much revision you can do other than revising the part of the course you've already done which the ISA relates to.

Is the ISA you're doing for AS or A2?
Original post by syhash
That's alright, glad I could help!
No I'm in year 11, but we did our physics ISA at the end of year 10 for some reason? You're in year 11 too, right? :smile:

Yup :tongue: great year 11 lol, what did you take? I need to start working for history :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Yup :tongue: great year 11 lol, what did you take? I need to start working for history :rolleyes:

Haha, it is. :wink: I'm doing english lit + lang, maths, the 3 sciences, rs, geography, french, latin, IT short, and food tech :smile: What about you?
Original post by syhash
Haha, it is. :wink: I'm doing english lit + lang, maths, the 3 sciences, rs, geography, french, latin, IT short, and food tech :smile: What about you?

I see you didn't take history lol, very wise choice :wink: I took maths, both English, triple science , history, IT, RS, Spanish and something else lol. We had to choose history and/or geography and couldn't take business studies :frown: do you have a CA coming up for geography? I got an 8 hour essay after half term for history :eek:
Reply 9
I see you didn't take history lol, very wise choice :wink: I took maths, both English, triple science , history, IT, RS, Spanish and something else lol. We had to choose history and/or geography and couldn't take business studies :frown: do you have a CA coming up for geography? I got an 8 hour essay after half term for history :eek:

Noo haha, I couldn't wait to drop it! It's cool you do Spanish though! We weren't given the option at our school :frown: No I did my geography CA last year as well, it was horrible! WHAT?! Oh my gosh that is ridiculous, good luck! Is that your CA?
Original post by syhash
Noo haha, I couldn't wait to drop it! It's cool you do Spanish though! We weren't given the option at our school :frown: No I did my geography CA last year as well, it was horrible! WHAT?! Oh my gosh that is ridiculous, good luck! Is that your CA?

Haha, I really wish I took geography instead :frown: and yeah Spanish is pretty good, unlucky you didn't have the choice, we could have took Italian but it looked so hard haha, although I messed up the speaking exams lol. Yeah it is, after half term I have the history CA, a Spanish writing, English essay (compare macbeth and frankenstein) :eek: and maybe my maths if I take it early. You're lucky that you could take quite a lot of CA's early though, you must go to a good school, our headmaster said that we were one of the best state school's in the country but I highly doubt it LOL :wink:
Reply 11
Haha, I really wish I took geography instead :frown: and yeah Spanish is pretty good, unlucky you didn't have the choice, we could have took Italian but it looked so hard haha, although I messed up the speaking exams lol. Yeah it is, after half term I have the history CA, a Spanish writing, English essay (compare macbeth and frankenstein) :eek: and maybe my maths if I take it early. You're lucky that you could take quite a lot of CA's early though, you must go to a good school, our headmaster said that we were one of the best state school's in the country but I highly doubt it LOL :wink:

Yeah geography's pretty good! But I'm sure you'll do well in history too :smile: Haha yeah Italian does seem pretty hard, I just stuck with French for my language, and I'm doing alright in that so it's fine :wink: Agh I messed up my French speaking the other day too! I was so gutted :frown: Oh woah, so you have quite a few coming up! But English CAs aren't too bad, because you're allowed notes with you and stuff, which makes it slightly less stressful :wink: Haha well it might be! Our school's meant to be the best in our city, but that's not really much of an achievement :wink: What do you want to do for A level?
Original post by syhash
Yeah geography's pretty good! But I'm sure you'll do well in history too :smile: Haha yeah Italian does seem pretty hard, I just stuck with French for my language, and I'm doing alright in that so it's fine :wink: Agh I messed up my French speaking the other day too! I was so gutted :frown: Oh woah, so you have quite a few coming up! But English CAs aren't too bad, because you're allowed notes with you and stuff, which makes it slightly less stressful :wink: Haha well it might be! Our school's meant to be the best in our city, but that's not really much of an achievement :wink: What do you want to do for A level?

Unlucky on your French, I really thought I knew my Spanish and I completely blanked out in the exam :frown: can you retake them? You can take notes in!? Lucky **** lol :wink: we're not allowed :frown: A Levels.... Definitely maths, economics and thinking about others... But possibly physics and philosophy...
Reply 13
Ah no! Sorry to hear that :frown: But hopefully you'll do better on your writing, they're a lot easier :wink: Yeah we've done 2 so far, and we've got a third one coming up next term, then they send off your 2 best ones! So I have a chance to improve :smile: Woah, you can't take notes in?! That's ridiculous! We're allowed to take a whole A3 note frame, which makes it so much easier! It might be because of different boards though..what board are you on? Oh that's a good selection! Philosophy's actually really fun :smile: I'm definitely taking chemistry, biology and maths, then I just need to think of a fourth one! I'm deciding between french and geography :wink:
Original post by syhash
Ah no! Sorry to hear that :frown: But hopefully you'll do better on your writing, they're a lot easier :wink: Yeah we've done 2 so far, and we've got a third one coming up next term, then they send off your 2 best ones! So I have a chance to improve :smile: Woah, you can't take notes in?! That's ridiculous! We're allowed to take a whole A3 note frame, which makes it so much easier! It might be because of different boards though..what board are you on? Oh that's a good selection! Philosophy's actually really fun :smile: I'm definitely taking chemistry, biology and maths, then I just need to think of a fourth one! I'm deciding between french and geography :wink:

Yeah I think we're doing 3 as well :smile: A3 is HUGE lol, you would be able to pre write 2 essays haha, I am AQA for everything but OCR history and edexcel IT. Yeah philosophy is very interesting and links in with physics :smile: chemistry and biology, you wanna be a doctor? Taking a language A level is highly thought upon lol :wink: but geography could be good, take whichever one you enjoy more, that's what my brother told me anyway as you have like 4 double periods a WEEK, oh no :frown: :frown:
Reply 15
Oh that's good, you'll get a few chances then :smile: Hahaha I know! It's pretty helpful! And my writing's like tiny so I can get so much on an A3 sheet :wink: But we're not allowed to write in full sentences, only little bullet points and stuff. Ah that could be why, because we're on edexcel for English! :smile: Yeah, it'd probably be even better at A level too! :smile: Yes I do, good guess! Yeah..but apparently French A level is super hard, so I'll have to ask my teacher about it and stuff before I decide :smile: Ugh oh my gosh that sounds horrible! I can't even cope with two doubles a week, let alone four! :frown: But I'm hoping A levels will be more interesting, so maaaybe it'll be slightly better? Hopefully.. :wink:
Yeah language a levels are much harder and I think you need to have a good teacher for it. My Spanish teacher loves our class, so it's good :wink: also don't forget you don't HAVE to take 4, you can just drop it later on, try French then drop if it's too hard, it also all depends on how hard you are willing to work, maths is very demanding, not too sure about chemistry but apparently biology is quite hard (although I guess they all are LOL), geography a level doesn't sound hard but it probably is haha, and French will be very time consuming... Just take what you prefer and what you think you'll enjoy, also does the prospect of living in France excite you? Imagine being a doctor in France lol, that would be pretty sweet, right? :wink:
Reply 17
Yeah language a levels are much harder and I think you need to have a good teacher for it. My Spanish teacher loves our class, so it's good :wink: also don't forget you don't HAVE to take 4, you can just drop it later on, try French then drop if it's too hard, it also all depends on how hard you are willing to work, maths is very demanding, not too sure about chemistry but apparently biology is quite hard (although I guess they all are LOL), geography a level doesn't sound hard but it probably is haha, and French will be very time consuming... Just take what you prefer and what you think you'll enjoy, also does the prospect of living in France excite you? Imagine being a doctor in France lol, that would be pretty sweet, right? :wink:

Yeah that's true, but most of the French teachers in my school are pretty good so that's fine! Haha that always helps :smile: Yeah I just think it'd be nice to have a contrasting subject, because Chemistry, Bio and Maths are all really sciencey, but French/Geography would be something a little different :smile: Very true, thank you! Yes, oh my gosh that's exactly what I want to do! I thought I could go to university in England, then possibly move to France when I'm older? French A level would definitely come in useful then :wink: Do you know what you want to do after sixth form?
Original post by syhash
Yeah that's true, but most of the French teachers in my school are pretty good so that's fine! Haha that always helps :smile: Yeah I just think it'd be nice to have a contrasting subject, because Chemistry, Bio and Maths are all really sciencey, but French/Geography would be something a little different :smile: Very true, thank you! Yes, oh my gosh that's exactly what I want to do! I thought I could go to university in England, then possibly move to France when I'm older? French A level would definitely come in useful then :wink: Do you know what you want to do after sixth form?

I can always tell what other people are thinking :wink: definitely, move to new York with the billions that I inherited from my long lost uncle but that's only dreams :frown: seriously though, definitely uni but no idea after, dunno what I want to do :frown: need to decide soon :frown:
Reply 19
I can always tell what other people are thinking :wink: definitely, move to new York with the billions that I inherited from my long lost uncle but that's only dreams :frown: seriously though, definitely uni but no idea after, dunno what I want to do :frown: need to decide soon :frown:

Haha you're just cool like that :wink: Woah, sounds like the best plan ever! :wink: Oh right..well you do have a while to decide! Do you have any ideas about unis yet?

Latest