The Student Room Group

How to Answer Edexcel 40 Mark History Source Essays?

Hello :}

What do you have to do, and how much do you need to write, to get an A in these questions?

For example:
"How far do you agree that Chartism failed because it alienated the middle class support that it needed?" (Use sources + own knowledge)

thanks
Reply 1
1. You have to successfully implement your own Knowledge with the sources and not do it Source by source and then your own knowledge
2. split your answer between Agree to the statement or disagree (either way around if you want)
3. add source and own knowledge as you write.
4. If you do it source by source then own knowledge I think the maximum you can get is about 12/40

I am currently writing about 3 sides worth and I have found that I am able to use the sources and my own knowledge in this space, but it depends on how much you can write that will answer the question.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Larmas
1. You have to successfully implement your own Knowledge with the sources and not do it Source by source and then your own knowledge
2. split your answer between Agree to the statement or disagree (either way around if you want)
3. add source and own knowledge as you write.
4. If you do it source by source than own knowledge I think the maximum you can get is about 12/40

I am currently writing about 3 sides worth and I have found that I am able to use the sources and my own knowledge in this space, but it depends on how much you can write that will answer the question.

Ah, thanks! :}
Reply 3
Hi,

Yeah do everything the person above said but make sure you use your sources as a set aka. all together and establish at the start of your paragraph which side they support.

e.g. Sources A and B support....... However, Source C undermines this by.......

This makes you use the sources all together and not analyse them one by one.

I did mine last year and got an A so hope it helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending