Shisha Lounges?
Nice places to eat? Halal...
Also is it very far from Slate House?
Reply 1
no one....?
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Hi there! If you're wondering why noone's answered so far, we're all preparing for exams at the moment so we're all a bit pushed.

Well, I'll try my best to answer everything you've got up there...

whats oxford brookes like as a uni?
Pretty good. We have two semesters, each of twelve weeks, and you start in mid-September. Exams (for first-years at least) are in early-mid May. I can elaborate more if you like.
It's very green here - lots of trees, it's a beautiful place when it's sunny (or raining if you like rain).

student life?
Lectures are pretty good if you pay attention and enjoy the subject. You'll most likely have flatmates (okay, YES.) and they may or may not be messy but there's generally no stealing of stuff and you form some really great friendships being in halls (of which there are many choices). Seminars come after lectures and help you understand and apply the information you've learnt. There's a good amount of teaching time but you can also go and see professors.

We have clubs, pubs, bars, restaurants and shops galore. Brookes is about a twenty minute walk from the centre and it's really awesome being able to hop on a BrookesBus and go anywhere.

multi cultural?
Yes, VERY! I run a study group for exams at the moment and there are eight of us and none are English- Korea, Cayman Islands, Ireland, France, Japan, Jamaica, Wales, etc etc! It's a pretty good mix.
sporty? football... We have tons of sports clubs here, I highly encourage you to join one if you attend Brookes as it keeps you fit and takes your mind off of studies for a while each week.
Gym...any good? Not bad, not bad! The Centre for Sport (on Headington Hill campus) is great, with various rooms for weights, cardio, etc. and there are classes you can sign up for. Membership can be paid monthly or yearly. It's not very expensive (opinion, though- I have a year membership and it's £230).
Shisha Lounges? I'm not sure but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to find some.

Yup, everywhere. Brookes also has its own big cafeteria and there's tons of different foods you can eat there as well as shops dotted around that sell Halal food. The Subway here has halal as well, if you're interested.

Also is it very far from Slate House?If you mean Slade Park, the student accommodation, nope- maybe fifteen minutes? I'm note sure, it depends how you want to get to the uni, what campus you'd be on and what time of day you travel.

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by victoriahowells
Hi there! If you're wondering why noone's answered so far, we're all preparing for exams at the moment so we're all a bit pushed.

Well, I'll try my best to answer everything you've got up there...

whats oxford brookes like as a uni?
Pretty good. We have two semesters, each of twelve weeks, and you start in mid-September. Exams (for first-years at least) are in early-mid May. I can elaborate more if you like.
It's very green here - lots of trees, it's a beautiful place when it's sunny (or raining if you like rain).

student life?
Lectures are pretty good if you pay attention and enjoy the subject. You'll most likely have flatmates (okay, YES.) and they may or may not be messy but there's generally no stealing of stuff and you form some really great friendships being in halls (of which there are many choices). Seminars come after lectures and help you understand and apply the information you've learnt. There's a good amount of teaching time but you can also go and see professors.

We have clubs, pubs, bars, restaurants and shops galore. Brookes is about a twenty minute walk from the centre and it's really awesome being able to hop on a BrookesBus and go anywhere.

multi cultural?
Yes, VERY! I run a study group for exams at the moment and there are eight of us and none are English- Korea, Cayman Islands, Ireland, France, Japan, Jamaica, Wales, etc etc! It's a pretty good mix.
sporty? football... We have tons of sports clubs here, I highly encourage you to join one if you attend Brookes as it keeps you fit and takes your mind off of studies for a while each week.
Gym...any good? Not bad, not bad! The Centre for Sport (on Headington Hill campus) is great, with various rooms for weights, cardio, etc. and there are classes you can sign up for. Membership can be paid monthly or yearly. It's not very expensive (opinion, though- I have a year membership and it's £230).
Shisha Lounges? I'm not sure but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to find some.

Yup, everywhere. Brookes also has its own big cafeteria and there's tons of different foods you can eat there as well as shops dotted around that sell Halal food. The Subway here has halal as well, if you're interested.

Also is it very far from Slate House?If you mean Slade Park, the student accommodation, nope- maybe fifteen minutes? I'm note sure, it depends how you want to get to the uni, what campus you'd be on and what time of day you travel.

Hope this helps!

Hey thanks for replying! You answered everything so so well! Much appreciated. I firmed oxford Brooke's so yeah hopefully ill be going there. What do you study? And yeah I booked a room at slade park and my campus will be heading ton... Just hoping its not too hard to get there or take long. Might invest in a bike. Just hope there's a lot to do there. Seems like a great uni :smile: never know I might get a job there n decide to live there lol.
Original post by Rouf
Hey thanks for replying! You answered everything so so well! Much appreciated. I firmed oxford Brooke's so yeah hopefully ill be going there. What do you study? And yeah I booked a room at slade park and my campus will be heading ton... Just hoping its not too hard to get there or take long. Might invest in a bike. Just hope there's a lot to do there. Seems like a great uni :smile: never know I might get a job there n decide to live there lol.

Oh, no problem!

I study Law (I'm just finishing up my first year here) and I'm on Headington Campus mainly as well, though all the good food courts are at Gipsy Lane (which is about five minutes away). :smile:

I would suggest a few things: Don't get an expensive bike, because it's a pain and might get stolen, you never know; get a good lock; don't leave your lights on your bike!! And always do things like check the brakes before you set off just in case. Also, if you do bring a bike and use it a lot, keep an eye on your tires because it's annoying to have to get them replaced.

You could definitely bike to Headington from Slade Park, it's probably about ten minutes :smile: What course have you firmed for?
Reply 5
Original post by victoriahowells
Oh, no problem!

I study Law (I'm just finishing up my first year here) and I'm on Headington Campus mainly as well, though all the good food courts are at Gipsy Lane (which is about five minutes away). :smile:

I would suggest a few things: Don't get an expensive bike, because it's a pain and might get stolen, you never know; get a good lock; don't leave your lights on your bike!! And always do things like check the brakes before you set off just in case. Also, if you do bring a bike and use it a lot, keep an eye on your tires because it's annoying to have to get them replaced.

You could definitely bike to Headington from Slade Park, it's probably about ten minutes :smile: What course have you firmed for?

ahh my sister studies Law, hope it's all going well!
yeah ill deffo get a lock etc, just seems a lot easier to get around with a bike.
Originally I was looking to study Real Estate, however a few retakes I took didnt work out, which has put me in a crappy position, and now my a2 exams I'm not feeling at all confident with, so I called up Brookes and changed to a Foundation year in Build Environment which leads onto any course in that department, so yeah that's what I firmed :smile:
Original post by Rouf
ahh my sister studies Law, hope it's all going well!
yeah ill deffo get a lock etc, just seems a lot easier to get around with a bike.
Originally I was looking to study Real Estate, however a few retakes I took didnt work out, which has put me in a crappy position, and now my a2 exams I'm not feeling at all confident with, so I called up Brookes and changed to a Foundation year in Build Environment which leads onto any course in that department, so yeah that's what I firmed :smile:

Oh man, I know how you feel, I messed up my very last exam at A2! Still got the right grade though, thankfully :smile: good luck for September!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending