The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

My Abortion Speech

It's only a 2 and a half minute speech in which what is said doesn't really matter but the language and how persuasive I am does. Any feedback is welcome and i'm generally stuck in the middle with my opinion on this matter, but for this speech i'm pro-life.

Did you know that there are about 3,700 abortions a day in the US? So approximately 1.3 million unpunished and LEGAL killings are occurring every year. I personally think that is absurd. Abortion is wrong and I am going to tell you why you shouldn’t get one or support them. Adoption, the after effects and the simple fact that it’s murder are all reasons why you shouldn’t go through with an abortion. I think that abortion is morally wrong and a highly debated topic in which there is a crystal clear answer.

One must wonder why a woman would seek out an abortion when there are other more humane options available. Adoption, of course, is the main option. Adoption is a win- win situation. The mother will be able to pursue her goals before she was pregnant and not have the burden of a child before she is ready and at the same time, bring tremendous joy to the adoptive parents. Adoption can shelter the mother from mental and physical issues that she would experience if she went through with an abortion.

Over 100 physical complications have been associated with abortion. Some complications include infections, endotoxic shock, convulsions and even sterility. The psychological effects are even more prominent. Studies within the first weeks after abortion show 40- 60% of women reported negative reactions such as guilt, nervous disorders, sleep disturbances and regret. Some even required psychotropic medicine. There have even been cases where abortionists start to realize that what they are doing is morally wrong. They begin to show emotional and physical signs after every abortion they perform. Dr. McArthur, a former abortionist once said ‘Everything is fine until you actually realize you are killing every single day you go to work, I started to have night mares about this’ Obviously, this man was disturbed and eventually quit the practice.

I went on the internet and searched “life.” It defined life as an 'organism state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth and reaction to stimuli'. And doesn’t a fetus possess all these things? I also searched “murder” which was defined as “the brutal or inhumane killing of a human being.” And Abortion is just that.
In my own opinion Abortion is wrong, and I hope after this short speech you feel the same.

Thanks for listening.

If there are any way you think I can improve this i.e more emotive words etc. it would be a great help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can't ignore the fact that most people don't regard foetuses/embryos as humans at all. A lot of people think it doesn't deserve rights (like a person) until some later stage. But if the embryo (which is human by DNA regardless of having only approx 70 cells) isn't given rights from conception then where does it gain rights not to be murdered? Here you can show the downsides of the main places where people assign rights to foetuses e.g. birth (premature babies), quickening (so unreliable) and most importantly viability (varies from place to place depending on the medical resources of the area and from time period to time period e.g. a fetes in mexico at 24 weeks can be aborted but not one in london? not fair)

Also your argument would be stronger if you briefly considered counter arguments and then dismissed them e.g. what if no one wants to adopt the baby, what if the mother gets ill during pregnancy etc --- shouldn't be too hard to counter but makes you seem like you know what they're gonna say
Reply 2
do remember that some women get raped.
pro-choice.
Reply 3
He is wrong.

Next!
Original post by Jorddizle
It's only a 2 and a half minute speech in which what is said doesn't really matter but the language and how persuasive I am does. Any feedback is welcome and i'm generally stuck in the middle with my opinion on this matter, but for this speech i'm pro-life.

If there are any way you think I can improve this i.e more emotive words etc. it would be a great help!

First of all, don't ever say 'I think'. If you want people to listen, you need to be hard-hitting, ie 'X is true', rather than 'I think X is true'. As an extension of this, try to take yourself out of the speech as much as possible, and limit the number of times you say 'I'.

Leave out all references to about, approximately, roughly.

Don't focus on the goals of the mother; people sympathise with children more than adults. Try speaking about how she is able to build a stable home for herself and future children, but keep the emphasis on the benefits for the child.

Go harder with the figures, change '40-60' for 'as many as 60'/equivalent.

Leave out 'I went on the internet...'. Go straight in with 'Life is defined as... Murder is defined as...'. Also, maybe find a more emotive definition for 'life', that one is pretty cold and clinical!

Maybe add in a rhetorical question at the end, which makes people think. Perhaps replace 'Abortion is just that' with a question linking abortion to the definitions you've just given.

Hope this helps, good luck with your speech!

Edit: quickly, before I get negged, this is help for writing a speech, not my opinion :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Jorddizle

If you care about life so much, you must kick yourself every second of the day when your body is killing millions of bacteria.

Because, let's face it, a 1 month-2 month old fetus has the same consciousness and awareness and feelings as a bacteria. Saying something is alive doesn't mean it's a fully conscious human being.
Reply 6
The speech isn't bad to be honest. However I think your totally wrong! If someone was to heckle your speech which hopefully they won't out of respect if nothing else you're screwed. May you could try and change the speech slightly so your not as open to someone more Liberal shouting out and discrediting your entire argument with a few well chosen words.

It is a nice speech though.
Reply 7
It is a very good speech. My one suggestion would be to avoid religious language but you've done that so yeh. Great speech.
Reply 8
what if someone was raped? a subject to incest? the mothers health was at risk? or the mother was in a really bad situation themselves? would it then be right for that child to be brought up through this?

I recognise the fact that you're arguing for something that you've said you're stuck in the middle on, and I respect you for that. I'm very pro-choice, personally, so here's some arguments for you to consider countering in your speech:

Many people (including myself) don't consider a foetus as an organism in it's own right until it is capable of surviving outside of the womb- a stage called viability. Most doctors will not perform an abortion after this point anyway, and an overwhelming majority of abortions happen well before this stage. As the foetus is simply a clump of cells until this point, why does it deserve any more right to life than any other unwanted clump of cells, like a tumour? (extreme example, but the point is valid)

About 6% of female rape victims become pregnant. (Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hal-herzog/why-are-rape-victims-more_b_1823152.html ). Such women had no choice as to whether or not they became pregnant, and are therefore very unlikely to have been planning a child. Even if the response is "put the child up for adoption", why should that woman be forced to carry around the offspring of her attacker for 9 months and then have to undergo childbirth- universally recognised as extremely physically painful- instead of being allowed a quick and (relatively) painless proceedure that will allow her to continue with her life?

There are, in the USA, already more children going up for adoption each year than are actually being adopted (would be able to find a decent source but the government shutdown means that public records aren't available). If abortion was to be completely banned, the number of orphans would increase even further. Certainly, adoption is a wonderful thing, allowing many people who would otherwise be unable to have children to become parents. It is something that I support whole-heartedly. But without being too coy, supply outpaces demand, resulting in a surplus of stock. How do you propose to counter this?

There are indeed many medical complications associated with abortion. That stands true for pregnancy, too. This site lists but a few of these: http://womenshealth.gov/pregnancy/you-are-pregnant/pregnancy-complications.html

On a related note, many women who are denied an abortion suffer mental health problems as a result. This paper demonstates how many new mothers (after birth) become victims of suicide. I admit that perhaps the option of abortion may not have helped these specific women, but you get my point.

That's a couple of counter points to yours. I hope that they help you in your speech. It is actually a good and emotive speech already, but it might be worth a quick redraft to attempt to counter some of the arguments above.

Good luck!
sorry but this is the worst speech i've ever heard, it starts of with the logical fallacy that a foetus is a human and that the action is killing which itself is a matter of debate; not going to comment on the rest as everything that follows; doesn't follow at all.
Reply 11
mention responsibility, ie don't have sex if you dislike the idea of kid

Original post by John Stuart Mill
sorry but this is the worst speech i've ever heard, it starts of with the logical fallacy that a foetus is a human and that the action is killing which itself is a matter of debate; not going to comment on the rest as everything that follows; doesn't follow at all.

Life begins at conception mate.
Does my cum have human rights too? I must have been committing a holocaust by allowing all my ejaculation to die in the sewer, or in some girl's stomach.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
It ignores logical facts about life itself. It also doesn't account for the cases of rape etc - Open mindedness = 0/10

2/10

Next...
This topic started over a year ago.

I think it's a bit too late now, guys...
Reply 15
Adoption isn't a win-win situation. The woman still has the inconvenience of carrying the foetus around for several months and the agony of childbirth of a baby she doesn't want. The baby could then end up living with an abusive family and being bullied because its adopted.
I think that your speech is just okay. So-so. First of all, it's too short to accumulate such a huge topic and it hardly mentions much facts and situations etc. It mostly sounds like "this is what I think, this is my opinion, I hope you will feel the same" Secondly, the writing style is also very unimpressive. It sounds like you were bored and were glad to finish it off as quickly as possible. Try bringing some emotion in it and make it sound like you mean it!
I hope I don't sound rude, just trying to tell you what I really felt.
Reply 17
Well I entirely disagree with your position but I know it's been given to you as you've gotta do what you've gotta do (as they say) so my advice is that you look for a lot more factual information. Your speech is lacking in hard content.

There are lots of important facts - such as the survival rate for foetuses born before 24 weeks (although I believe 50% develop severe disability, there's also 50% who will be to all intents and purposes fine), the hypocrisy of the same doctor potentially working round the clock to keep a 22 week-er alive who's been born prematurely and is struggling against the odds, yet terminating a 23 and a half week old baby who would probably progress to a totally normal delivery.

The problem with talking about adoption so early (and for so long) is that you're trying to say abortion is wrong, not come up with alternatives. Yes it's relevant to mention adoption as a counter to what somebody else may challenge you with, but it doesn't belong in your main speech: you've got to make the specific persuasive arguments about why abortion is WRONG in your main speech and that's the big thing.

It's also factually pretty shaky - of course abortion can affect the mother and leave her with feelings of guilt, but so does leaving your baby up for adoption when it's actually become a full living person. In terms of mental health issues, bringing up an unwanted child in difficult circumstances, the trauma of childbirth, the trauma of having adopted your child out to somebody, the trauma to said child of potentially spending a decent amount of time in an unstable and inconsistent environment in care (obviously not all care is like this)... you can't just quote random stuff about people feeling guilty or say that one single doctor had a nightmare and expect it to be taken seriously. It's all fluff!

Your closing statement is also a bit weird. The foetus doesn't have capacity for metabolism etc. of its own accord, it requires support from the mother. Most foetuses are terminated way before viability and couldn't live even if you popped them out and stuck them on every life support machine we have. Termination is also not inhumane or brutal. I don't know if you're debating or what, but if it is a debate then the opposition can tear your conclusion to shreds - which is generally a bad sign!!
Original post by Robbie242
It ignores logical facts about life itself. It also doesn't account for the cases of rape etc - Open mindedness = 0/10

2/10

Next...

2/10 for wut? (this is a strong 0/10) it reads like a poorly written essay if you want to learn how to write a speech I suggest you read some stoof on rhetoric and look at some of the greats (Cicero, Martin Luther King)
Reply 19
I agree abortion is wrong unless for medical reasons.

Adoption is a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending