The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
How did you know I was president Steve?

Anyway, Marrow is a society running with the Anthony Nolan Trust: a charity that runs and recruits the UK's biggest bone marrow register. This is something that, when people need a bone marrow transplant, can then searched to see if there are any match's available.

The society raises money for the charity and also runs clinics through the year to try and recruit people onto the register (so I hope to see you all at the clinics and fundraising events!!)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Im psychic! nah, Im sure youve mentioned it before on here, plus with me taking biology (when I went :biggrin: ) I think I seen something about marrow in bute with your name attached.
Reply 202
Ooh that sounds good Solid L!

How many societies can you join? I mean I know you can join as many as you want but how many is a reasonable amount before it becomes impossible to keep up with them all?
Reply 203
Most people only really keep up with a couple.
Reply 204
Is anyone a member of any sports ones?
I am determined to get some exercise this year and the walk to and from lectures doesn't count, does it? :p:
Reply 205
I'll be doing squash this year, along with kayaking and perhaps shinty (if my flat mates drag me along), but we all start the year with good intentions eh?
Trampolining!!! It's amazingly good! You should all come along to our give-it-a-go sessions (Wed 1.30-3, 3-4.30 and Thurs 2-4 in the gymnasium). And it really doesn't matter if you've never done it before - most people who join haven't. And it's loads of fun too :biggrin:
Lou_
Is anyone a member of any sports ones?
I am determined to get some exercise this year and the walk to and from lectures doesn't count, does it? :p:

OH MY WORD, NEVER UTTER SUCH WORDS IN MY PRESENCE AGAIN!
Walking is exercise. Any walking is exercise. Please don't argue with that, else I might have to bother getting up from my nice comfy seat to argue back properly, and that would simply take obscene amounts of effort.

Guess who never joined any sports societies last year... :redface:
Reply 208
Trampolining - now that DOES sounds fun :biggrin:

And Ninja don't worry... I probably won't join any either :laugh:

At the momeny I am adamant I'm going to try windsurfing but I'm not holding out any hope of me actually getting round to it!
I joined some, though didnt go to most after signing up (So the society fayre warning also applies to the sports fayre!) I did however regularly go to the gym (though I haven't done ANYTHING during the summer, work is hard enough and I all the exercise I need from the 3 mile walks home when Ive spent my taxi money, beer probably offsets that though :biggrin: )
Reply 210
Is the gym expensive?
Steeeeevo
The gym is pretty good though a little on the expensive side for my liking for a student gym. It pretty well kitted out with fairly new equipment in 3 decent sized rooms (weight, cardio and general fitness) which do sometimes get full at peak times but judging by the poster in the hallway they are either busy hounding the university or have already secured the money for a massive extension to the gym, which looks good. Prices last year were I think £30 for 2 semesters student membership and £30 again for 40 sessions (an all 3 suites for as long as you want). The gym itself is located in the sports centre which also has 2 sports halls, massive outdoor pitches (real and astroturf) and various other bits and bobs all of which can be hired out, with equipment but I didnt use any of those so you would have to look at the website for prices and details. err I cant think of anything else to say so if you can think of anything just ask.

There you go!
you need to pay 30pound for membership than 30pounds every 40 goes? or is it one or the other?
peace_and_love
you need to pay 30pound for membership than 30pounds every 40 goes? or is it one or the other?

Yep, Membership gets you reduced cost (and non-members have to be signed in by a member) and then the best value is £30 for 40 sessions, all the info is on the website http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/sport/

EDIT: Ive just noticed membership for a year is now £32, robbing B******s :biggrin:
Reply 214
That is quite expensive!

For some sports societies do you have to join the gym?
Lou_
That is quite expensive!

If the club uses the sports centre, then you have to pay sports centre membership, as well as the club membership.
Lou_
That is quite expensive!

Especially for a student gym, apparently its one of the most expensive student gyms in the UK unless you use it every day.
Reply 217
I probably won't join as I know that I will end up never going lol!

If you get a term time job in St Andrews what do you do during the holidays? Because you're not allowed to stay in your halls during Christmas.
Reply 218
Hello! How is everyone?
Lou_
Hello! How is everyone?

Im good though mentally and emotionally drained! I could do with another freshers week to recover from the last one...... then again thinking about how much drinking Ive done and how few lectures Ive been to I might as well be having another freshers week! All I need now is to scivey about in a blue T-Shirt talking to lost, clueless and occasionally hopeless freshers and its DeJa Vu ! :p:

Latest