The Student Room Group

25% of Junior Doctors Leave

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by _lynx_
I can tell you that they are BS - at least the F1 and F2 salaries there.

Yeh it seemed ridiculously high so I checked on the NHS website and it said:

F1: 22412
F2: 27798

But that is the basic salary, which it says can get an additional supplement on top from 30% - 50%. Maybe the guy at the open day was quoting the highest possible wage i.e. if you work horrible shifts? Not sure, I don't think they'd outright lie though so there must be some logic in there somewhere.
Reply 61
Newcastle said that you earn £50,000 after three years of graduation at their open day - something that sounds like a load of crap :dontknow:
Reply 62
Original post by Beska

But that is the basic salary, which it says can get an additional supplement on top from 30% - 50%. Maybe the guy at the open day was quoting the highest possible wage i.e. if you work horrible shifts? Not sure, I don't think they'd outright lie though so there must be some logic in there somewhere.

I suppose if you work on-call and nights, or perhaps locum as well. Then you might earn around that or perhaps more. But it seems too high for an average.
Reply 63
Original post by Beska

He probably was, since I think the highest banding you can get is 1.5x the basic, which seems to roughly equate to the numbers you were given.
Reply 64
Original post by Kinkerz
You don't need work experience to know that dealing with sick people is mandatory in the vast majority of medical specialties.

And observing a doctor/other staff dealing with sick people is quite substantially different to dealing with sick people yourself.

Are you just arguing with me for the sake of it? I agree with all the points you are making. :p:
Reply 65
Original post by Beska
Are you just arguing with me for the sake of it? I agree with all the points you are making. :p:

You were denigrating people leaving medicine as they 'don't like dealing with sick people'. I was giving a viewpoint from a different angle.
Reply 66
Original post by Kinkerz
You were denigrating people leaving medicine as they 'don't like dealing with sick people'. I was giving a viewpoint from a different angle.

I don't think I was being unfair in the slightest. It was a point made by an admissions tutor, people coming to interview and saying "I love helping people, I love people and I love to make them better blah blah" and then leaving after their first GP placement because they can't stand listening to peoples problems. I don't think I am being at all unfair.
Reply 67
Original post by Beska
According to the Newcastle admissions tutor, the #2 reason why people drop out (#1 being that they can't cope with the work) is because they realise they don't like sick people. Which is a pretty pathetic reason tbqh.

Yeah but honestly, who actually likes sick people? :dontknow:

Don't know about you, but I prefer people to be healthy and free from any suffering or illness.
Reply 68
Original post by W.H.T
Yeah but honestly, who actually likes sick people? :dontknow:

Don't know about you, but I prefer people to be healthy and free from any suffering or illness.

Fair point. :p: I think his point was more along the lines of 'can't deal with sick people'.
Reply 69
Original post by Beska
I don't think I was being unfair in the slightest. It was a point made by an admissions tutor, people coming to interview and saying "I love helping people, I love people and I love to make them better blah blah" and then leaving after their first GP placement because they can't stand listening to peoples problems. I don't think I am being at all unfair.

The concept of dealing with people, the idea of it, can be very different to what it's actually like. I don't think it's particularly fair to ridicule people because of a choice they made when they were 16/17/18 that may have been on the naive side. Hell, a few posts ago you were indicating that you knew pretty well what it's like to be a doctor, which is naivety of a similar calibre.

PS: I'm not arguing this point because I want to leave medicine due to my hatred if ill people :p: I just think it's unfair; at least they were being honest. Beats someone sticking with medicine in spite of their distaste for it only to graduate into a difficult job that they hate.
Reply 70
Just to put some people straight about pay, this is what I've earned..

F1 - 21K basic + 50% banding all year = 31k
F2 - 27k basic + 50% banding all year = 41k
ST1 - 29K basic + No banding all year = 29k

I was very lucky to have 50% banded posts all throughout my F1 and F2 but I worked hard, on average 1 in 4 weekends and several runs of nights as well as long days and late shifts. (Some people had no banding all year therefore only got 21k as F1s - this is pretty rare though, usually its something in between)

This year I am doing no on-calls, nights or weekends but am taking a massive pay cut for it.

Ok!
Reply 71
Original post by Kinkerz
The concept of dealing with people, the idea of it, can be very different to what it's actually like. I don't think it's particularly fair to ridicule people because of a choice they made when they were 16/17/18 that may have been on the naive side. Hell, a few posts ago you were indicating that you knew pretty well what it's like to be a doctor, which is naivety of a similar calibre.

PS: I'm not arguing this point because I want to leave medicine due to my hatred if ill people :p: I just think it's unfair; at least they were being honest. Beats someone sticking with medicine in spite of their distaste for it only to graduate into a difficult job that they hate.

Um, I never said I knew what it was like to be a doctor. I know as much as anybody that has done a few hours of work experience. I'm sorry if you inferred otherwise.

I am just going to have to disagree with you, I think that not knowing that you actually have to deal with sick people is a lack of a realistic insight into the career.
Reply 72
Original post by Beska
Um, I never said I knew what it was like to be a doctor. I know as much as anybody that has done a few hours of work experience. I'm sorry if you inferred otherwise.

"I have no idea how somebody can get through writing a personal statement and attending an interview before realising what they are actually getting themselves in for."

Fair enough.

I am just going to have to disagree with you, I think that not knowing that you actually have to deal with sick people is a lack of a realistic insight into the career.

It is. But I think not fully understanding your own capacity to deal with ill people is a fairly common thing, and that formed the crux of my point, not that people don't understand that you'll have to deal with ill people.
Reply 73
Original post by Kinkerz
"I have no idea how somebody can get through writing a personal statement and attending an interview before realising what they are actually getting themselves in for."

Fair enough.

It is. But I think not fully understanding your own capacity to deal with ill people is a fairly common thing, and that formed the crux of my point, not that people don't understand that you'll have to deal with ill people.

But would this be realised during the first term? As you said newbie medics aren't that sure about medicine - it sounds to me more like a complete lack of appreciation for what medicine entails when people drop out citing that reason so early on - at least that's my two cents. And I appreciate that people on this board can talk about this with a lot more confidence and knowledge :tongue:
Reply 74
Original post by Kinkerz

Fair enough.

Yeh I'm sorry, I can see how that could come across wrong. :colondollar: I meant more along the lines of that through the whole application process and thinking about/being questioned about ones work experience, an applicant should have a good idea - the best idea that they could get with work experience - about broadly what medicine is like. I know that a lot of the intricacies one wouldn't get until they're a clinical student or whatever, but generally that medicine is about caring/people profession/long hours/unrealistic public expectations etc. should come through work experience.

Fair point, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that you couldn't know that medicine was about caring for people through work experience rather than understanding your own capacity. I guess that's something you can't really prepare for, as you say. Thinking about it from that angle, I can understand more why people would want to drop out. The way the admissions tutor made it sound was that it was a terrible and unthinkable reason for dropping out. :p:
Reply 75
Original post by Organ
But would this be realised during the first term? As you said newbie medics aren't that sure about medicine - it sounds to me more like a complete lack of appreciation for what medicine entails when people drop out citing that reason so early on - at least that's my two cents. And I appreciate that people on this board can talk about this with a lot more confidence and knowledge :tongue:

If they're giving that reason so early on in the course, I'm inclined to say it's not their real reason. If someone wants to drop out, they may give all kinds of reasons, some may be true, some may not.
Doctors can stop moaning about their 'low' salary. The taxpayer just paid for their £500,000 education.
Reply 77
Original post by tomheppy
Doctors can stop moaning about their 'low' salary. The taxpayer just paid for their £500,000 education.

Halve that and subtract a bit more. Nobody is really moaning anyway - it was initially a thread as to why 25% of juniors left after FY2.
Reply 78

Aren't you a treat. A misinformed treat, in fact.
Reply 79

Please do tell us more of your opinions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending