The Student Room Group

TSR Money Savings Club

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iPhone
Holy crap! Nice one man! :gthumb:

Can you teach me how to make that much lol :biggrin:.

Heh, thanks. However it was not my effort, my grandparents were wealthy and invested and I inherited these stocks. Many of the stocks were bought 30+ years ago, in now very successful companies. There's no massive trick to it, just realise that to make real wealth from stock you need to be in it for the long game, we're talking decades. I don't like short selling and I don't think anyone I know personally has had a great success from it, but I'm sure some people do.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 121
Any tips on how to get coupons and stuff for shopping?
Original post by Rakas21

Original post by Rakas21
Any tips on how to get coupons and stuff for shopping?

Sign up to newsletters, and direct them into a folder in your inbox (so you can search when you want). Use sites like hotukdeals, vouchercodes, myvouchercodes, promocodes, etc.

I have vouchercloud on my phone; does anyone use this? I've not used it once, but you're supposed to be able to show the 'e-vouchers' to staff in-store and they give you discounts.
Reply 123
Original post by addylad
Sign up to newsletters, and direct them into a folder in your inbox (so you can search when you want). Use sites like hotukdeals, vouchercodes, myvouchercodes, promocodes, etc.

I have vouchercloud on my phone; does anyone use this? I've not used it once, but you're supposed to be able to show the 'e-vouchers' to staff in-store and they give you discounts.

Brilliant, i want to become like the voucher lady from the C4 show at the beggining of this thread.
Original post by Rakas21

Original post by Rakas21
Brilliant, i want to become like the voucher lady from the C4 show at the beggining of this thread.

I saw that. C-razy. How the hell can you get all that stuff for free with vouchers? :s-smilie:
Reply 125
Original post by addylad
I saw that. C-razy. How the hell can you get all that stuff for free with vouchers? :s-smilie:

£65 worth of shopping for £5!

She is a true god.
Reply 126
Original post by iPhone
Holy crap! Nice one man! :gthumb:

Can you teach me how to make that much lol :biggrin:.

Start by learning to read balance sheets, income statements, what some of the financial ratios are, then read the annual reports and more importantly read the sustainability report of these companies, just make sure the sustainability report is a credible one and not another advertising flyer :biggrin:
I'm hoping to start saving so I have a bit before university :smile: don't have that much at the moment, savings from a child.

A tip I can think of (don't know whether it's obvious! haha) is to save 1p, 2p and 5p's in a 'piggy' bank and then use those for your savings. I think I read that you can use a coin machine for free in certain banks, so you're not getting charged for it.

Oh, and can someone explain the Quidco and the cashback websites, I don't quite understand how they work? Surely, there's a 'downside'?

In reference to the penny pinchers programme, where did that woman get all of those vouchers from?!
Reply 128
Original post by addylad
Sign up to newsletters, and direct them into a folder in your inbox (so you can search when you want). Use sites like hotukdeals, vouchercodes, myvouchercodes, , etc.

Have just signed up to all of them.
Reply 129
After christmas my savings will probably be 1,5k Euro.

That is if I buy the new laptop. If I don't, it will be 2k Euro.

Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
I need to make £3100 by June next year with £2500 due at the end of April.. I'm currently on £1685. It would be easy if I wasn't spending £300 a month before doing anything fun :sigh:

Just read this!

I have to make 15,000 until next september for course fees and accommodation. I calculated I have to work about 2,000 hours at minimum wage to make that cash in 10 months. That's a 50 hour week and I'm at a 45 hour week at the moment, but only because it's christmas. The nearer it gets the more work. I might have to do 60 hour weeks like next and the one after that.

And all that while studying for finals, oh gawd.
(edited 12 years ago)
I like this thread. :smile: *subscribes* :biggrin:
Not very money saving at the moment :frown: unable to work as I've had surgery, and just got my hair cut for £35 and getting my hair re highlighted for £55 next week :frown: will make up for it next semester!
New pair of trainers?

No chance, £40 in the savings account.

Discipline is key.
The "advice slip" from when I took out £10 at the cash point yesterday says £689. Good since I thought it was £589, but methinks I'll recheck it next time I can get into town anyways. I ordered a few things off the internet recently, so I just want to double check. :smile:

This will go down a bit in the next few weeks, as I still:
- have some more Christmas presents to buy
- need to top up my Oyster card so I can get home from work
- need/want a haircut (about £13 down the road from me, so that's OK) :smile:
- need to buy new shoes for work. (Non negotiable.)

However, I get paid on the 23rd this month, so it be looking healthier again in a few weeks. :cool:

Am living at home with the parents atm, and so generally try to save at least half of my monthly earnings. :smile:
Original post by treasureBelle

Original post by treasureBelle
The "advice slip" from when I took out £10 at the cash point yesterday says £689. Good since I thought it was £589, but methinks I'll recheck it next time I can get into town anyways. I ordered a few things off the internet recently, so I just want to double check. :smile:

This will go down a bit in the next few weeks, as I still:
- have some more Christmas presents to buy
- need to top up my Oyster card so I can get home from work
- need/want a haircut (about £13 down the road from me, so that's OK) :smile:
- need to buy new shoes for work. (Non negotiable.)

However, I get paid on the 23rd this month, so it be looking healthier again in a few weeks. :cool:

Am living at home with the parents atm, and so generally try to save at least half of my monthly earnings. :smile:

What shoes for work? Are these for yourself, or PPE?
Original post by Mega Nerd
I'm hoping to start saving so I have a bit before university :smile: don't have that much at the moment, savings from a child.

A tip I can think of (don't know whether it's obvious! haha) is to save 1p, 2p and 5p's in a 'piggy' bank and then use those for your savings. I think I read that you can use a coin machine for free in certain banks, so you're not getting charged for it.

Oh, and can someone explain the Quidco and the cashback websites, I don't quite understand how they work? Surely, there's a 'downside'?

In reference to the penny pinchers programme, where did that woman get all of those vouchers from?!

I do that and get them changed at the local asda. I have a small bank and a jar which I change when they get full. They're normally good for £10 or so. They take a certain amount off of you for each pound, but ah well, every penny counts.

How much have you saved so far? :smile:
Reply 136
I'm still looking for another job I could do, possibly under the table. :/ Or something I can do from home, other than playing a game and hope someone will buy the account later on, lol.

So I have about 570 Euro in savings but I seriously need a new laptop which I am going to order next week. That's -500 so my savings will be 70.

When I get paid at the end of the month that will probably be about ~1400.
Reply 137
*Subscribes*. I'm not sure exactly how much I have right now, but it should be £1.5k after Xmas, hoping to get £2k before university. I also have a piggy bank like some on here :lol:
Original post by Rakas21

Essential Outgoings per month
Food - £90
Travel - £70
Gym - £16 (£20 rounded)
Phone - £10

Total - £190

Remainder...

Spend: 1/3
Clothes: 1/3
Savings: 1/3

Savings...

Provisional - £70
Phone - £400
Computer - £1500 (int+sof 900, ext 600)
Qualifications - GCSE ENGLISH, GCSE SCIENCE, A LEVEL POLITICS (£300 each)
Debt - (Smallest first from credit report)
Holiday inc passport - £1000
Shares - £1000
Masters - As much as possible

Is the gym essential? And so much for a phone? :smile: Surely there's somewhere to get the phone cheaper, or on contract? Contracts may seem expensive, but in whole, they could be great value for money!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by insignificant
just got my hair cut for £35 and getting my hair re highlighted for £55 next week :frown: will make up for it next semester!

Yes, but those aren't essentials. Cutting back on things like that is how one saves up. That would be almost £100 saved up already. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest