The Student Room Group

Why do my toenails smell?

Sorry guys if this is quite offputting, however I have an embarrassing problem.

Every time I cut my toenails, there's a pungent smell of cheese which, as a result, means I have to clean the area around my toes and my nail scissors after cutting them.

It has been a recurring problem for me. I don't know whether this is natural or I have some sort of fungal infection. Does anyone else get this and if not, what could I do to get rid of this smell?
Reply 1
wtf?!
erm no, but then again, i dont sniff my feet - or toenails! -_-
I shall be mature and i'm not easily grossed out!! You need to clean at the sides of your toenail and also under them. And focus on washing your feet when in the shower. It's probably not a fungal infection but taking better care of your toenails will get rid of the smell. Like that little 'spatula' thing on the nail cut..use it!
Reply 3
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
I shall be mature and i'm not easily grossed out!! You need to clean at the sides of your toenail and also under them. And focus on washing your feet when in the shower. It's probably not a fungal infection but taking better care of your toenails will get rid of the smell. Like that little 'spatula' thing on the nail cut..use it!

Is it possible it can be a fungal infection? I always try and make sure that every part of my body is clean, however I may focus less on my feet.
Reply 4
Original post by maleeha95
wtf?!
erm no, but then again, i dont sniff my feet - or toenails! -_-

I don't intentionally pick up a foot and smell but i am aware of the smell just through cutting them.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I don't intentionally pick up a foot and smell but i am aware of the smell just through cutting them.

okay, well then i guess hygiene.
try soaking them in a bowl of hot water and cleaning them rly well?
Reply 6
Is it possible it can be a fungal infection? I always try and make sure that every part of my body is clean, however I may focus less on my feet.

Are your toenails discoloured (i.e. looking kinda milky or yellow)? Is there any puss?
Do the nails look brittle/jagged at the top? Is the toe/under the nail painful esp when you put on certain shoes? Those would be a sign of a fungal infection.You can pick stuff up from the chemist which you just sort of paint onto the nail (don't worry, it's clear). However, to get rid of the infection can take between 6-12 months and you have to make sure you put the stuff on everyday.

You could always get the pharmacist to have a quick look and recommend something.
Reply 7
Original post by LTC1409
Are your toenails discoloured (i.e. looking kinda milky or yellow)? Is there any puss?
Do the nails look brittle/jagged at the top? Is the toe/under the nail painful esp when you put on certain shoes? Those would be a sign of a fungal infection.You can pick stuff up from the chemist which you just sort of paint onto the nail (don't worry, it's clear). However, to get rid of the infection can take between 6-12 months and you have to make sure you put the stuff on everyday.

You could always get the pharmacist to have a quick look and recommend something.

They are quite brittle and a bit discoloured and they're really hard when trying to cut and a bit sore when cutting as well. What is the name of the product? I'll try that and what I have been advised from the other username above :smile:.

It sounds disgusting but it's an embarrassing problem I've had months, possibly years.
Reply 8
They are quite brittle and a bit discoloured and they're really hard when trying to cut and a bit sore when cutting as well. What is the name of the product? I'll try that and what I have been advised from the other username above :smile:.

It sounds disgusting but it's an embarrassing problem I've had months, possibly years.

Well, my toenails don't smell, but I have had a lot of problems with the ones on my big toes (on both feet) including having one of my nails removed. The stuff I use is just scholl stuff which I picked up from the pharmacy. It clearly says on the packet that it's for nail infections. But I must reiterate, DO NOT EXPECT INSTANT RESULTS, IT CAN TAKE 12 MONTHS FOR THE INFECTION TO FULLY GO AND YOU NEED TO USE THE STUFF EVERY DAY! PLUS MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FULLY! If unsure I really would speak to the pharmacist as they'll be able to give you more medical based knowledge and I'm purely going on the experiences I've had with my feet. There's no need to be embarrassed as that's what they're there for and at the end of the day it's your health. People's feet go though a lot (standing all day, holding all your weight etc.) and if your feet get mucked up it can be quite a problem so best to get it sorted ASAP. Hope it gets sorted.
(edited 12 years ago)
I have this problem with only one of my big toe, toenails . its my right one, and whenever i wash or cut my nails, the pungent smell appears. I have a slight discoloration and my mother said it was nothing serious just a bruise. i didn't believe her but ignored it anyway, its been quite a while since then, and the bruise has gone but still some colour has been left and the smell still lingers. I would like some help on this as its a interrelation with my confidence in front of other people, especially boys and when im on holiday. please reply with helpful advice that's quick and simple.
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*

I see what you did there:ahee:

OP do you regulardly clip your nails and wash your feet?

Every time I cut my toenails, there's a pungent smell of cheese which, as a result, means I have to clean the area around my toes and my nail scissors after cutting them.

It has been a recurring problem for me. I don't know whether this is natural or I have some sort of fungal infection. Does anyone else get this and if not, what could I do to get rid of this smell?

Hi,

It could be due to some fungal infection. Check it out with your gp. They are used to this all the time and will not be embarassed. Keep your feet clean , dry and without any foot wear including socks as much as possible. I hope u do get it sorted.
It is a normal by product of accumulated sweat, dead skin cells, and sock lint, which tends to build up under the nails. Coupled with the fact that feet tend to receive less air flow than other parts of the body makes for a good breeding ground for funk. No worries it happens to everyone. And if they claim it doesn't they are lying, or never wear closed toe shoes or socks.
Well if ur nail looks fine but doesn't smell fine when u cut it. Then it's natural because ur nails is Made of some kind of compound that make it smell like "****". Every one should have it! But I NEVAR SMEELL MY TOE NAIL EW
(edited 8 years ago)
Rude ass.
Reply 15

Don't smell them then.
I totally agree with you...everybody's feet has this smell
Original post by othrtmsplyr
It is a normal by product of accumulated sweat, dead skin cells, and sock lint, which tends to build up under the nails. Coupled with the fact that feet tend to receive less air flow than other parts of the body makes for a good breeding ground for funk. No worries it happens to everyone. And if they claim it doesn't they are lying, or never wear closed toe shoes or socks.
Guys, my toes don't smell or anything. but am I the only one that finds it diffcult to get thete toenail. I cant and dont know how to do so. please help me
Reply 18
i just noticed this same exact problem with me and i see you posted this 8 years ago so, did you ever find a solution? please let me know
SHEESH THIS WAS 8 YEARS AGO OMGbut im goin thru the same thing. i wonder how old they are now LMAO

Quick Reply

Latest