The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8860
Original post by SamF1992
How much should it cost to get trousers taken up a bit in the leg and taken in a bit at the waist?

Also how much would it cost to have the above done and having them slimmed down?

Obviously, I'm not expecting an exact price from you guys as it'll vary, but just a rough estimation.

You would probably expect to pay around £50 for all that unless you find a magic tailor like Tokyo :p:

Hem I'd expect £10-£15, waist £20-25 and slimming £25. But if you shop around you might be able to find it all cheaper.
Original post by Tokyoround
My local tailor here would probably charge £10-20 for that but, Mess already mentioned that his prices are rather cheap!

Original post by Mess.
You would probably expect to pay around £50 for all that unless you find a magic tailor like Tokyo :p:

Hem I'd expect £10-£15, waist £20-25 and slimming £25. But if you shop around you might be able to find it all cheaper.

Cheers guys, I'm not that bothered about saving a few pounds here and there as long as the quality of the work is good, just wanted to get a rough idea of the cost of getting the stuff done, and to ensure as a complete novice when it comes to having stuff altered I don't get completely ripped off.

I'm thinking of taking in a pair of navy chinos I got from the Brooks Brothers outlet in Bicester as my first thing to be altered, they're meant to be a 30/32. I'm a 29 waist, and they're miles too big, I'd say about a 32 and the leg is a 33 pretty much, the fit is also far too relaxed for my liking. In contrast I have a pair of the same chinos in cream from the Mr. Porter sale and they fit great. I'm thinking the navy ones have been mistagged/mislabbeled as they do say a 30/32 on the tag inside but they don't fit those measurements at all.

I'm dreading taking my jackets to be altered, I have 2 really nice ones, a navy wool twill one, and a light brown PoW check one. I don't like putting my clothes in other people's hands :cry2:.

If the tailor that I have in mind proves good though, I might consider getting a jacket made, something soft shouldered and relaxed I think, have no idea on the colour though, maybe grey. May also take a trip to Bicester in the summer and see what suits Gieves and Hawkes have in, there was a lovely navy one down to like £200 from £1200, last time I went down but they only had it in a 40 chest or above :frown:

Sorry for my rambling!
Reply 8862
Was looking for a casual linen jacket for spring/summer and came across this. I'm on a very low budget right now and I've not really had any dealings with this sort of jacket before - what do people think of it? I'm looking for something that's easily wearable so if you don't think this is it then I'd rather not spend the last of my dwindling back account on it :tongue:

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/98049?article=98049-A#article=98049-B
Reply 8863
Original post by RobinK
Was looking for a casual linen jacket for spring/summer and came across this. I'm on a very low budget right now and I've not really had any dealings with this sort of jacket before - what do people think of it? I'm looking for something that's easily wearable so if you don't think this is it then I'd rather not spend the last of my dwindling back account on it :tongue:

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/98049?article=98049-A#article=98049-B

I like it...it looks good and the price isn't too bad. If you go back a few pages, you'll see I posted H&M discount codes :wink:
Reply 8864
Just bought this £11 with discount

http://tinyurl.com/c8xr83x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8865
Anyone know where you can get burgundy jeans (not burgundy chinos) ? :smile:

Also is there anywhere which sells chinos which are normal fit, not skinny. Its nightmare looking for normal non skinny chinos.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8866
Cheers guys, I'm not that bothered about saving a few pounds here and there as long as the quality of the work is good, just wanted to get a rough idea of the cost of getting the stuff done, and to ensure as a complete novice when it comes to having stuff altered I don't get completely ripped off.

I'd avoid anywhere that also describes itself as a dry cleaners. It will be quick and cheap but I never trust them. An easy way to find a decent tailor is to just ask were all the suit shops go near where you live.

I'm thinking of taking in a pair of navy chinos I got from the Brooks Brothers outlet in Bicester as my first thing to be altered, they're meant to be a 30/32. I'm a 29 waist, and they're miles too big, I'd say about a 32 and the leg is a 33 pretty much, the fit is also far too relaxed for my liking. In contrast I have a pair of the same chinos in cream from the Mr. Porter sale and they fit great. I'm thinking the navy ones have been mistagged/mislabbeled as they do say a 30/32 on the tag inside but they don't fit those measurements at all.

I think it is just a common problem with labelling. I have bought two pairs of the exact same jeans before and they were an inch different in the waist :lolwut: With BB being an American brand it is likely they have 'vanity sizes' to make fat people feel better :p:

I'm dreading taking my jackets to be altered, I have 2 really nice ones, a navy wool twill one, and a light brown PoW check one. I don't like putting my clothes in other people's hands :cry2:.

If the tailor that I have in mind proves good though, I might consider getting a jacket made, something soft shouldered and relaxed I think, have no idea on the colour though, maybe grey. May also take a trip to Bicester in the summer and see what suits Gieves and Hawkes have in, there was a lovely navy one down to like £200 from £1200, last time I went down but they only had it in a 40 chest or above :frown:

How close is the 40" to you? You could get the shoulders chipped if it isn't too far off.

I am thinking of getting a bespoke suit made, I am thinking about going to see the tailor tomorrow as he comes very highly recommended by customers in my shop.

Original post by vn2009
Anyone know where you can get burgundy jeans (not burgundy chinos) ? :smile:

Also is there anywhere which sells chinos which are normal fit, not skinny. Its nightmare looking for normal non skinny chinos.

GAP is good for chinos and I have seen burgundy D&G jeans in TK Maxx.
Reply 8867
Original post by Mess.
GAP is good for chinos and I have seen burgundy D&G jeans in TK Maxx.

Tears stream down my face when people forget about Banana Republic.
Original post by Mess.
I'd avoid anywhere that also describes itself as a dry cleaners. It will be quick and cheap but I never trust them. An easy way to find a decent tailor is to just ask were all the suit shops go near where you live.

I think it is just a common problem with labelling. I have bought two pairs of the exact same jeans before and they were an inch different in the waist :lolwut: With BB being an American brand it is likely they have 'vanity sizes' to make fat people feel better :p:

How close is the 40" to you? You could get the shoulders chipped if it isn't too far off.

I am thinking of getting a bespoke suit made, I am thinking about going to see the tailor tomorrow as he comes very highly recommended by customers in my shop.

Yeah, I've found a tailor in Birmingham who the suit places apparentely send their stuff too, wouldn't trust a dry cleaners, never, ever again :cry2:

40 is miles off, I'm a 36.
Reply 8869
Original post by paddy

There is no BR in Liverpool, I refuse to acknowledge it until it becomes a reality :colonhash:

What trousers do you think would work with a double breasted, nail head, charcoal jacket for business? I am thinking dark navy or black but I was hoping there might be something else.

I have found a cloth that is almost exactly the same as the jacket so I will probably get the trousers made for a suit as well.

Yeah, I've found a tailor in Birmingham who the suit places apparentely send their stuff too, wouldn't trust a dry cleaners, never, ever again :cry2:

40 is miles off, I'm a 36.

:sad: Don't go near one again.

Have you been in to the G&H in Birmingham recently btw?
Original post by Mess.
There is no BR in Liverpool, I refuse to acknowledge it until it becomes a reality :colonhash:

What trousers do you think would work with a double breasted, nail head, charcoal jacket for business? I am thinking dark navy or black but I was hoping there might be something else.

I have found a cloth that is almost exactly the same as the jacket so I will probably get the trousers made for a suit as well.

:sad: Don't go near one again.

Have you been in to the G&H in Birmingham recently btw?

Maybe green could go with the charcoal? Not sure, but just throwing it out there, Charcoal is a pretty limited colour, I have a jumper in it, and it almost exclusively gets warn with blue trousers or jeans. Works quite well with cream aswell actually, as long as there's a bolder colour somwhere else in the outfit so maybe you could try that?

I haven't unfortunately, I was planning to but I had no money until my loan came through and I've not been well, do G&H offer alteration in all their stores? If so, I may have a ponder when I'm back from uni again.

I'm almost certainly going to have to go back to a dry cleaners though, one of my replacement pairs of trousers is in a wool/poly blend instead of cotton/poly so I won't be able to machine wash them :frown:

I have a question about G&H seeing as you work (worked?) there, I want a part time job over the summer, and I would quite be interested in working in the Birmingham branch if a vacancy came up, what do you reckon they'd require? Would I be expected to have a lot of tailoring knowledge and so on?

Oh and while I'm asking questions about tailoring and such, how much do you reckon it would cost to have just trousers made?
Reply 8871
Maybe green could go with the charcoal? Not sure, but just throwing it out there, Charcoal is a pretty limited colour, I have a jumper in it, and it almost exclusively gets warn with blue trousers or jeans. Works quite well with cream aswell actually, as long as there's a bolder colour somwhere else in the outfit so maybe you could try that?

An incredibly dark green would be interesting :beard: I will wait until I start in my new place before I risk becoming the clothing character :mmm:

I haven't unfortunately, I was planning to but I had no money until my loan came through and I've not been well, do G&H offer alteration in all their stores? If so, I may have a ponder when I'm back from uni again.

They will pin etc any G&H item but they will charge you for the alts so you may as well take it directly to the tailor if I am honest.

I'm almost certainly going to have to go back to a dry cleaners though, one of my replacement pairs of trousers is in a wool/poly blend instead of cotton/poly so I won't be able to machine wash them :frown:

Tbph unless the trousers actually get any stains on I wouldn't even bother. The wool should fight smells using its natural oils and if that doesn't work just freeze them :yep:

I have a question about G&H seeing as you work (worked?) there, I want a part time job over the summer, and I would quite be interested in working in the Birmingham branch if a vacancy came up, what do you reckon they'd require? Would I be expected to have a lot of tailoring knowledge and so on?

Oh and while I'm asking questions about tailoring and such, how much do you reckon it would cost to have just trousers made?

It would actually be a great time to apply for the Birmingham store but I would do it ASAP

Spoiler

Generally they do require experience in retail but the manager there might be looking for something else. I would hand a CV in personally, whilst looking your best and make sure it is to the manager or whoever is in charge that day. They like you to know about the brand beforehand as well so just do some generic research.
I'd worked in retail for 6 years before working for G&H and only had a basic knowledge of tailoring but I did have a passion for suits and I like to think I interview well.

To get trousers made would depend on the cloth, I don't think £200 would be unreasonable though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8872
Original post by Mess.

Manchester should cover the North in general surely :colonhash:

Dark navy and black? That sounds a bit dark for charcoal to be honest. Do you have a photo of the jacket, or at least of one a similar colour?

I can't really say for sure without seeing the colour, but maybe a light(ish) blue to offset the darkness of the charcoal? Something like this perhaps:

Alternatively I think a dark-ish green could work too. If the blazer doesn't look too dark then cream might do it for a nice summery look, but if the blazer is leaning more towards black than grey it could be a bit much.
Reply 8873
Original post by paddy
Manchester should cover the North in general surely :colonhash:

Dark navy and black? That sounds a bit dark for charcoal to be honest. Do you have a photo of the jacket, or at least of one a similar colour?

I can't really say for sure without seeing the colour, but maybe a light(ish) blue to offset the darkness of the charcoal? Something like this perhaps:

Alternatively I think a dark-ish green could work too. If the blazer doesn't look too dark then cream might do it for a nice summery look, but if the blazer is leaning more towards black than grey it could be a bit much.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1615921&page=436&p=37130923#post37130923

The double breasted one :h:
Reply 8874
Original post by paddy
Banana Republic have white linen trousers. Tried them on, nice fit - slim-ish but still nice and relaxed. Perfect for work during the summer (as in my work, not an office job :mmm:). Plus we're going to get them in brown and taupe :teeth:

Get it gurl.

I got a nice fitting one from Banana Republic the other day. I'll probably end up getting at least one or two more, they're just so versatile.

I don't think I can ever get white linen trousers after I've seen 40 something Indian men wearing them with linen shirts with far too many buttons open at brunches :sigh:
Reply 8875

Ah I see. I reckon my advice remains the same. The blazer, either blue or green chinos/trousers and a white shirt :yes:

Original post by kuks
I don't think I can ever get white linen trousers after I've seen 40 something Indian men wearing them with linen shirts with far too many buttons open at brunches :sigh:

Ah yes that outfit. Trust me I will avoiding wearing it with linen shirts (well apart from maybe the mustard-coloured one I got a few weeks ago). Also I can't do the ridiculously unbuttoned look, I think my pale skin would blind people :colone:
Thoughts on these chinos?

Original post by paddy

What's the fit like on their polos?
Done anybody know when is high st bring out duffle coat?
Reply 8878
Original post by .Theory
Thoughts on these chinos?

What's the fit like on their polos?

For me they really fit amazingly well, nice and slim. You will need to order the size down from what you usually wear though.

Also all Banana Republic polos are £20 for a limited time only.
Well, I have the cliched dilemma of 'what to wear tonight?!'

Going to a house party before going to the clubs at around midnight. The thing is, I always seem to wear very similar things when I go out, and even though my mate almost always wears chinos and a polo shirt, they've started to take the piss out of me for always wearing a long sleeve t shirt (usually v neck) with a shirt over the top.

I've only got 4 shirts (and one of them's denim, so not really night-wear) I've also got a heavy material, navy blue, high collared thing which again isn't really night-wear. Looks cool though.

But yeah, what should I wear? Just a long sleeve t shirt on it's own :tongue: I don't look that good in a short t-shirt - my arms are too skinny, but maybe that's just me being stupid :P

Just a bit lost for ideas really. Oh and: chinos or jeans?

Latest