The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Ask a Cardiff student

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ReefSwell
Imo Senghennydd is just as social as taly if not more. . Another benefit is that its not that far from the Student union and the university hall so you can allways go to the big partys at uni hall! Another thing is first impressions, as when i saw a empty room at Senghennydd on one of the open days it looked terrible, but i found that once i moved in (put uni hall first choice Senghennydd as second) and i made it my room it looked fine!

Oh and walking for 30 mins in the pouring rain or freezing cold at like 8 am? no thanks! but it is personal choice, whether you are into that thing

Also the noise! if you have a ground floor room at taly south then have fun getting woken up by drunk people banging on your window at night! At least with Senghennydd its not like that, same with uni court.

Ahh so conflicting! I really don't know what to do!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 41
Oh and walking for 30 mins in the pouring rain or freezing cold at like 8 am? no thanks! but it is personal choice, whether you are into that thing

Also the noise! if you have a ground floor room at taly south then have fun getting woken up by drunk people banging on your window at night! At least with Senghennydd its not like that, same with uni court.

These two things made me choose uni hall over taly (excluding taly north being the ghetto bronx!), and i dont see what the difference is in terms of social life?? I allways found taly south and north to be way too loud, it's seemed that way for the last two years to me! also talycourt is really unsociable :/
Reply 42
Original post by Karm
Ahh so conflicting! I really don't know what to do!

Well what do you want from the accomodation?

Ensuite-or shared? (shared means more moula! :biggrin:)
Close or Far? -close means getting up later so more sleep and you probs wont be inclined to pay for bus! allthough uni hall has free bus!
Social or quiet? - for social go uni hall for all the crazy medicine student partys!, senghennydd (senghennydd just because its between all accomodation areas and close to the union) or the taly's
quality of accomodation - all are pretty decent allthough taly is a bit more run down (excluding the really nice taly court - so spacious!) and for me i found taly south/north buildings to be really dark because its terraced and lack of windows into the hallways, same goes kinda with uni hall. Senghennydd is also really nice, my best friend lived there and for the cost i would have happily lived there if i couldnt live in uni hall

but its your choice, no one can make a decision for you :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by laX
Well what do you want from the accomodation?

Ensuite-or shared? (shared means more moula! :biggrin:)
Close or Far? -close means getting up later so more sleep and you probs wont be inclined to pay for bus!
Social or quiet? - for social go uni hall, senghennydd (senghennydd just because its between all accomodation areas and close to the union) or the taly's
quality of accomodation - all are pretty decent allthough taly is a bit more run down (excluding the really nice taly court - so spacious!) and for me i found taly south/north buildings to be really dark because its terraced and lack of windows into the hallways, same goes kinda with uni hall.

but its your choice, no one can make a decision for you :smile:

Hmm I'm siding more towards senghennydd to be honest. Distance is a big thing for me, I guess I'm just worried about not finding like minded people lol. Quality isn't a massive issue for me to be honest.
Reply 44
Original post by Karm
Hmm I'm siding more towards senghennydd to be honest. Distance is a big thing for me, I guess I'm just worried about not finding like minded people lol. Quality isn't a massive issue for me to be honest.

senghennydd is a good choice! jealous of the free meals everyone got haha.

also dont worry about not finding like minded people! you can easily find people on your course/socials/at the weekend, but only if you try to look for them, dont expect people to come to you. Thats why its good to have friends in other places like uni hall or the talys that way you can allways find something to do if nothing is on at senghennydd (in the rare case that cardiff suddenly becomes dull :biggrin:)
Reply 45
Original post by laX
senghennydd is a good choice! jealous of the free meals everyone got haha.

also dont worry about not finding like minded people! you can easily find people on your course/socials/at the weekend, but only if you try to look for them, dont expect people to come to you. Thats why its good to have friends in other places like uni hall or the talys that way you can allways find something to do if nothing is on at senghennydd (in the rare case that cardiff suddenly becomes dull :biggrin:)

Thank you! That puts my mind at rest.

Haha yeah I guess I'll have to make the effort!
Original post by s.a.u
1.it's ranked 39th, therefore it shouldn't even be in the russell group.

2.they want several a*s for their medical degree even though it is officially the lowest ranked medical school in the country

3.it is in wales

The league table is almost as stupid as the people who believe it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Imo Senghennydd is just as social as taly if not more. . Another benefit is that its not that far from the Student union and the university hall so you can allways go to the big partys at uni hall! Another thing is first impressions, as when i saw a empty room at Senghennydd on one of the open days it looked terrible, but i found that once i moved in (put uni hall first choice Senghennydd as second) and i made it my room it looked fine!

I thought uni halls was miles from synghetto?! But yeah I should have mentioned unless you REALLY don't care about noise it's risky picking taly due to the fact you may have a ground floor window and depending on where that is it could be awful. I have a top floor room and it's brilliant :P
Reply 48
Original post by burgergetsbored
I thought uni halls was miles from synghetto?!

Not really. I allways went there for the medic partys or to see my mates, and if there was a large group of us we usually either got a quick bus or taxi there for next to nothing (only if it was raining though)

Syng is a really nice place, it didnt seem it for me on the open day but when you live there its great, just because it becomes a center point in terms of distance to anything, whether it be social, lectures or just cardiff for shopping
Original post by s.a.u
I do know what the Russell Group is, it is the top 20 research intensive universities in the United Kingdom.

Not quite. The Russell Group is a lobbying body for the 20 universities which attract the most research funding (this is a brute sum, not adjusted per head of staff). This is why, say, Cardiff is in and smaller but reputedly better universities are not: it's a big school. A breakaway independent Trinity College Cambridge would not qualify for admission to the Russell Group.

There is no "[should or] shouldn't be in the Russell Group". It is just an indicator of something objectively measurable.
Reply 50
Not really. I allways went there for the medic partys or to see my mates, and if there was a large group of us we usually either got a quick bus or taxi there for next to nothing (only if it was raining though)

Syng is a really nice place, it didnt seem it for me on the open day but when you live there its great, just because it becomes a center point in terms of distance to anything, whether it be social, lectures or just cardiff for shopping

Hmm im considering Cartwright Court, sengennydd or Roy Jenkins...
I will be doing Biology at Cardiff next year.
There's mixed opinions about Sengennydd depending on whether you ask a Taly person or not. :wink:
As for Cartwright, its got the option of bathrrom between 2, which is a plus.
And roy Jenkins is small and cosy, but is it nice or boring?
Oh so many decisons.
I want to be somewhere with a nice sociable atmosphere but not get woken up like in Taly and be able to study/ wake up for lecture.
Any help would be great.
Reply 51
Hi does anyone have any idea about term times and dates for medical students at cardiff?
Original post by ellie1108
Hi does anyone have any idea about term times and dates for medical students at cardiff?

Well it says it starts on 24 september on UCAS.....I would also really like to know the 1st year medic term dates, anyone? :colone:
Reply 53
ummm!heyyy!I applied for an Mchem degree and i got a conditional offer!does anyone know anything about the school the students and staff?I've chosen senghennydd court as my first choice since I've heard it's really nice!And don't forget the distance!

Quick Reply

Latest