The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Lit B Exam Quotes

i am doing all gothic for this, with Wuthering Heights, Dr Faustus, and Frankenstein.

anyone got any good notes with quotations from any of these? or any suggestions on how/where to get them?

also would appreciate some kind of run down of what theyre looking for in terms of ao's, obv i know them but ive been reading threads on here that seem to have a dif understanding than i do on them, especially ao2.

so any suggestions on essay structure would be helpful :smile:
Reply 1
The AO's work like this:

AO1= Articulate and informed response.
= Appropriate literary terminology
= coherent written expression (Your literary register and manner of speech need to be good)

AO2=Knowledge of critical debate
= Form/structure/language analysis

AO3= Understanding of multiple ways in which something can be perceived... 'on the other hand'
= Strong argument

A04= Understanding of context may influence the text/ link themes to contextual factors

Hope this is helpful to you :smile:
Reply 2
Also I would recommend going on theenglishfaculty.org - there's an olnine lecture from the University of Leeds about the links between Frankenstein and Rousseau (linking nature and society), and it's really helpful/interesting :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by a_j_r
The AO's work like this:

AO1= Articulate and informed response.
= Appropriate literary terminology
= coherent written expression (Your literary register and manner of speech need to be good)

AO2=Knowledge of critical debate
= Form/structure/language analysis

AO3= Understanding of multiple ways in which something can be perceived... 'on the other hand'
= Strong argument

A04= Understanding of context may influence the text/ link themes to contextual factors

Hope this is helpful to you :smile:

can you explain ao2 a bit more please? maybe an example?
Reply 4
ive been taught the way to do ao2 is as follows

say i use the quote from dr faustus 'his waxen wings did mount above his reach' then i would have to analyse the alliteration and the pause at the end of the line. but could i explain the reference to greek mythology and that its about overambition etc with the reference to icarus? is that ao2?
Reply 5
Original post by faith93
ive been taught the way to do ao2 is as follows

say i use the quote from dr faustus 'his waxen wings did mount above his reach' then i would have to analyse the alliteration and the pause at the end of the line. but could i explain the reference to greek mythology and that its about overambition etc with the reference to icarus? is that ao2?

It basically has 2 parts- critical debate, and exploring form, structure and language of the text.

Yeah the bit about alliteration and the pause refers to language and form, and then yeah you could refer to greek mythology (I think that would maybe come under A04 'context'?) Im not really familiar with Faustus, but basically to achieve all elements of A02 do what you said but also engage in some critical debate...? E.g:

This idea of .... is in agreement with the argument of 'Critic', who explains that....

To show the examiner that you've read essays about your text, and you understand what people have argued

:smile:
Reply 6
we havent been taught anything in the way of critics...

we were told that it holds no credibility, as we included it in the litb1 exam and everyone got D's and E's and the whole year resat. the aqa examiner person they got in said that it was not needed at all
You don't need critics. You just need to show more than one side of an argument so that you have a sustained debate throughout your essay.

Also, I would suggest getrevising.co.uk. It has loads of resources that students have added. I've found ones that give useful quotes for Frankenstein and The Bloody Chamber, and there are probably ones for other texts, as well.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending