The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Psychology UNIT 2 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by al0
For Little Albert, do we need to know the WHOLE procedure? It's just far too detailed, I can't remember it all.

break the procedure down into the most important points, there is a lot but just remember the most important points. i have a shortened version of the procedure if you want me to send it to you?
HEY GUYS!! NEED HELP ASAP... when describing gottessmans and sheilds do we mention twin and adoption studys?! or just twin studys?? theres a section of adoption and twin studys differently from the study i dont have any notes, cause my cousin robbed them of me ! need help pls!! :x
Reply 22
Original post by FailedEverything
HEY GUYS!! NEED HELP ASAP... when describing gottessmans and sheilds do we mention twin and adoption studys?! or just twin studys?? theres a section of adoption and twin studys differently from the study i dont have any notes, cause my cousin robbed them of me ! need help pls!! :x

There were only twin studies for the concordance rates.
Where did you hear about adoption studies? lol
Original post by AFC1993
There were only twin studies for the concordance rates.
Where did you hear about adoption studies? lol

i swear we did a topic on adoption studies O.o i must of been high that day and looked at the wrong exam board, are you sure adoption studies isnt in the course? x
Reply 24
i swear we did a topic on adoption studies O.o i must of been high that day and looked at the wrong exam board, are you sure adoption studies isnt in the course? x

Adoption studies is part of methodology along with lesion studies etc :P x
Original post by AFC1993
Adoption studies is part of methodology along with lesion studies etc :P x

ahah cheers :smile: need any help? lets go through things together and gl for tuesday :smile: btw i answered your brain lateralising question :tongue:
Reply 26
ahah cheers :smile: need any help? lets go through things together and gl for tuesday :smile: btw i answered your brain lateralising question :tongue:

hahaha <3

errrrm, can you please help me with LeVay and Margaret Mead when talking about sexual orientation with the psychodynamic approach? I've learnt about malinowski
Original post by AFC1993
hahaha <3

errrrm, can you please help me with LeVay and Margaret Mead when talking about sexual orientation with the psychodynamic approach? I've learnt about malinowski

Hi, Levay and Maragaret Meads' is not on the edexcel syllabus for edexcel, its on AQA PSYA3
Reply 28

Twin studies and adoption studies are part of methodology aswell as evaluating them. Other stuff in methodology are PET/MRI scans and animals in lab experiments such as the lesion studies. Some people may have different topics to learn depends what the teacher teaches. If you want the adoption and twin study notes i can PM them to you. x
Reply 29
Hi, Levay and Maragaret Meads' is not on the edexcel syllabus for edexcel, its on AQA PSYA3

Any evaluative point is a good evaluative point.
does a world of good
hey guys want to go through all approaches together? psychodyanmic, biological and learning to help us and others?
Reply 31
hey guys want to go through all approaches together? psychodyanmic, biological and learning to help us and others?

You mean qs and answers?
Original post by Rizzy J
You mean qs and answers?

anything really, we can all help each other at certain points we are stuck on :smile:
Reply 33
Key issue in biological approach
What are the two transgender operations
why is surgery ethical and unethical?
which theories and studies would you use to explain the key issue?
Key issues transgender,
Intersex - Born with unclear genitaliar, the doctor/parent decides which gender is most suited to the genitals, can be very unethical as the child has no consent or is to young to be informed about whats going on... also there was a study conducted that 13 males were born intersex which was psychologically harmful
Gender Dyspohoria, feeling trapped in the wrong gender, can be psychologically harmfull as the person is confused about which gender to belong in, then at a certain age decieds which gender is most apropriate towards how they feel, this can be done by surgery, and injecting either testostrone or oestrogeon.. no real ethical issues and concerns however as the person is 100% physically healthy surgery is a risk
Heomaphordiates, born with both genitalia can be very underconforting and can lead to psychological harm, as the person or parents of the child would not know how to actually treat them,
the factors, are mainly age.. at a certain age the person can choose which gender they belong to.. not just regarding their parents or doctors decision if to young
Social - Counsilling Biological - surgery
:smile: sorry about late reply
What are the 5 psychosexual stages
Describe Gottessman and Shields study of development of Schizophernia
Compare Gottessman and Shields with Doctor J moneys study
*Similarities and Differences
Explain/outline the aim/procedure/findings/conclusion of Little Hans's study of his phobia of horses
Original post by al0
For Little Albert, do we need to know the WHOLE procedure? It's just far too detailed, I can't remember it all.

Neither can I, I have no idea how much we are supposed to learn!

:confused:
Original post by itsmehello
Neither can I, I have no idea how much we are supposed to learn!

:confused:

we need to learn 3 different books
Psychodynamic
Biological
Learning
Each book contains 2 main case studies which can be up to 12 marks in the exam
For Psychodyanmic - Little Hans and Dibs
For Biological - Doctor J money and Gottessmans and Sheilds
For Learning - Watson and Reiner and Bandaura,Ross and Ross
for all 3 there are evaluations of gender development
we need to know methodology e.g brain scanning: MRI scaning/Pet scanning, animal studys,adoption/twin studys,psycoanalysis etc... its not that hard thinking about it, if you need any questions feel free to ask and il be happy to reply and answer :smile:
Reply 38
What are the 5 psychosexual stages
Describe Gottessman and Shields study of development of Schizophernia
Compare Gottessman and Shields with Doctor J moneys study
*Similarities and Differences
Explain/outline the aim/procedure/findings/conclusion of Little Hans's study of his phobia of horses

Oral, Anal, Phallic, Latency, Genetial
Sample of 57 twins where one was diagnosed with schizophrenia were chosen. Used same sex twin. Each twin assessed to see if they were MZ or DZ twins. 24 pairs of MZ and 33 pairs of DZ twins.
MZ twins- 42% of co-twin of schizophrenic diagnosed as schizophrenic. 37% diagnosed with different form of psychiatric abnormality. 21% normal
DZ twin- 9% co twin diagnosed as schizophrenic. 36% diagnosed with psychiatric abnormality. 55% normal
Gottessman had a large sample size- had used 57 twins whereas Money had one set of twins.
Both had same sex twins ( Money had same sex twins originally)
High ecological validity as both researchers did not control the schizophrenia or circumcision
5 year old boy taken to freud suffering from phobia of horses. Freud saw hans once or twice. Information came mostly through hans father.
At age 3, hans developed interest in his own penis. Age 5 mother threatened to cut it off if he did not stop playing with it. Developed fear a white horse would bite him. Hans fathee related to freud that this was probably related to horses large penis. Father objected him into getting into parents bed in the morning. Hans feared going out of the house incase he encounted a horse. Fear became limited to horses with black harness noses, hans father interpreted this as his black moustache. Hans had two fantasises: he had several imaginery children, asked who the mother was, said why mummy and you’re granddad. Also imagined a plumber fitting him with a bigger penis.
Freud saw phobias as expression of Oedipus
Reply 39
Describe the key issue in the learning approach
Describe and evaluate bandura ross and ross study
Describe MRI/PET scans
What is freud's theory of personality

Quick Reply