The Student Room Group

U In AS Physics To Studying Theoretical Physics At Durham University

Scroll to see replies

It's a great story, but have you got any proof? You probably don't feel like you have to prove anything to a stranger which is fine, but I find it hard to believe, unless foundation years really are THAT easy.
Original post by A level Az
It's a great story, but have you got any proof? You probably don't feel like you have to prove anything to a stranger which is fine, but I find it hard to believe, unless foundation years really are THAT easy.

I'll dig out my old A-level certificates if you really want them, though im not sure if I was awarded anything for a U.

They are not that easy. Sometimes I felt that the foundation year was harder than A-levels. You cover a lot of content in a short amount of time. The first maths module basically covers all of C1-C4 with the exception of a few odd topics such as surds but not as in depth as A-level (OCR MEI).

Ultimately, you are studying at university, which is very different to A-levels. Maybe some people adapt better to the change. I'd say I was pushing 50-60 hours a week of solid work.
Reply 22
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Just to update, my results were not only the highest recorded for this year but they were also the highest recorded by the foundation program since recording has began.

Fantastic.
I'll dig out my old A-level certificates if you really want them, though im not sure if I was awarded anything for a U.

They are not that easy. Sometimes I felt that the foundation year was harder than A-levels. You cover a lot of content in a short amount of time. The first maths module basically covers all of C1-C4 with the exception of a few odd topics such as surds but not as in depth as A-level (OCR MEI).

Ultimately, you are studying at university, which is very different to A-levels. Maybe some people adapt better to the change. I'd say I was pushing 50-60 hours a week of solid work.

Seems like studying at university instead of at college/sixth form did you a world of good. I still find it hard to believe that you went from getting E's D's and U's to over 90% just because of that change though, maybe you weren't trying as hard as you thought you were during A levels? And how old will you be when you start at Durham if you don't mind me asking?

Saw about your progress in the Physics applicant thread. Well done and congrats! :biggrin:

:eek: that's an average of 7 hours a day. That's 44% of waking hours assuming 8 hours sleep! Factor in necessary stuff like eating, moving, internet etc that is a lot of your free time gone!

well done for proving everyone else wrong :biggrin: you deserve a long rest.
Original post by Ilyas
:eek: that's an average of 7 hours a day. That's 44% of waking hours assuming 8 hours sleep! Factor in necessary stuff like eating, moving, internet etc that is a lot of your free time gone!

well done for proving everyone else wrong :biggrin: you deserve a long rest.

That'll include my lectures and tutorials.

I dont want my feat to come across like its easy and requires a little amount of effort. To go from a U in physics and the minimum requirements for a foundation year can get you to a top university if you put in a serious amount of work.
Seems like studying at university instead of at college/sixth form did you a world of good. I still find it hard to believe that you went from getting E's D's and U's to over 90% just because of that change though, maybe you weren't trying as hard as you thought you were during A levels? And how old will you be when you start at Durham if you don't mind me asking?

I think it was partly not doing enough work and partly not doing the right work.

To revise at university I do ALL possible questions and try understand every topic. I rewrite all my lecture notes on work and create posters on topics I tend to forget or key fundamental topics.

I didnt do this at A-level, I had handwritten notes which really didnt work with my poor writing.

The key to my success was hands down the notes I produced. I make these notes into a small concise book which I can revise from instead of my ~11 A4 folders full of work (which took ages to produce).

Well done; a true reflection of the power of perseverance and unequivocally inspirational. Foundation degrees really get a bad rep at my school (we're coveted towards pseudo-elitism) but this definitely changed my perception of them and remains influential. Again, well done.
Wow, this is amazing. You put in the work and you got your reward ^_^ All the best at Durham University! :smile:
Reply 30
One of the most positive threads I have come across on TSR.

"The myth of talent, and the power of practice!"

Congratulations and good luck :smile:
Reply 31

I know the foundation science course I took but never finished was very much gcse or at least that is how it felt to me. Mainly why I dropped out. Not saying all are like this
I got rejected for Nat Sci even though I got an offer for physics which has a higher offer.
snip

Oh My God...

Guys a legend! sticky this to the revision forum.
Good for you! Hope everything goes well @ Durham!!:biggrin:
Original post by CoolRunner
Oh My God...

Guys a legend! sticky this to the revision forum.
Good for you! Hope everything goes well @ Durham!!:biggrin:

Thanks! Its nice to have something to be proud about.
I have split the thread up into small easier to read portions. Over the next few days I'll be adding small amounts and correcting sections.
congrats buddy :yy:

Well done!
Reply 37
Ahh good stuff!! Glad to see everything work out even after the most unfortunate of circumstances. You truly deserve it. Good luck at Durham!
Reply 38
A moving, fantastic story OP. You should be very proud of yourself.

Original post by daihats
One of the most positive threads I have come across on TSR.

"The myth of talent, and the power of practice!"

Congratulations and good luck :smile:

Unfortunately I don't agree with the 'myth of talent' bit. Personally, I found A levels a breeze, did little work and got top marks. Other people find it much more difficult - and that difference is best explained by differences in talent. That said, interest does play a huge part. If you love the subject you find yourself naturally thinking about it in your spare time, which has gotta help.

The power of practice is absolutely correct. The effect is incredible and at the end of the day, it's the only aspect we can really control. Assessing talent is only important in determining which direction your career/life should follow. Apart from the assessment one need only care about focusing and practicing hard.
(edited 11 years ago)
Congrats on that epic turn around OP! Those two extra years waiting will be worth it, I'm sure, to study such a fabulous subject! I for one cannot wait to start my theoretical physics degree next year! :colone:

What is that made you go for physics for your foundation, or want t study physics at all, if you don't mind?

Quick Reply

Latest