Reply 40
How to make a sausage roll...

Push it down a hill!!!
Amb1
How to make a sausage roll...

Push it down a hill!!!

ermmm....do you mind if I don't link this one in the contents!! :biggrin:

very good though!!!!

do you have any other, slightly more conventional recipes??

Ruthie xx
Any chance of some more non-meat/fish recipes for us veggies

My contribution: roasted red peppers with tomato and onion

ingredients
red peppers
onions
tomatoes
olive oil
oregano

Get some red peppers (the bigger the better) and cut them in half lengthwise straight through the stalk to the bottom. Take out the seeds but keep the stem in place for each of the halves. Peel some tomatos by putting them in very hot water and waiting for the skin to split. then they peel easily. cut them up into very small pieces. cut up and onion into small pieces. Get a roasting tray and drizzle some olive oil on it. put the halves of peppers on it and fill them up half with the tomatoes and then put some onion on top. drizzle some olive oil inside the peppers (but not too much) season with a bit of oregano and some salt and pepper. put them in the oven at gas mark 4 or 5 for ages until they start to go a little bit black round the edges.

sorry I haven't been very accurate with measurements but to be honest with this sort of thing. Just make sure it cooks for a long time -at least 1.5 hours.

MB
4Ed

omelette:
for a meal, allow 3/4 eggs per person. beat them together in a bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper.
pour the mixture into a heated small round frying pan (again medium-high heat), let the bottom set itself, then add your own mixture of cheese, mushrooms, ham, peppers etc. then fold half the omelette over the other, and turn it round a few times to make sure that the two halves have stuck together. don't overcook it - you will then have a slightly runny middle with the cheese slightly melted.. mmmm heavenly :biggrin:

I disagree with your method. Don't let the bottom set. As it cooks (it will cook quicker at the edges) use a fork to drag the cooked edges into the middle and let the liquid spill into the gap it leaves (stp doing this when there is no liquid left on top. Then turn off your hob and put your filling on top. Then the tricky bit: foldd it out onto a plate and try to get the filling on the inside andd the omelette in one piece.

MB
Tuna Shake

To a liquidiser, add two tins of tuna, drained of brine
Add 400 ml of milk
Add some ice cubes
Liquidise until creamy
Serve immediately
Reply 45
musicboy
I disagree with your method. Don't let the bottom set. As it cooks (it will cook quicker at the edges) use a fork to drag the cooked edges into the middle and let the liquid spill into the gap it leaves (stp doing this when there is no liquid left on top. Then turn off your hob and put your filling on top. Then the tricky bit: foldd it out onto a plate and try to get the filling on the inside andd the omelette in one piece.

MB

i have a variation on the omelette...always turns out in one piece!!

mix all the ingredients together...so even the mushrooms etc...then pour it all into a pan and cook the btm!! let it cook most of the underneath (u can tell) then put under a hot grill! leave for 5-10mins or until its all set...then put a plate upside down on the frying pan and turn the omelette out!! voila!
Reply 46
My fave dish:
Roast 1-2 aubergines on a naked flame until cooked thoroughly.
fry grated garlic(if thats how you spell it)until golden
and then grate 3-4 tomatoes and dehydrate the puree
fry 2 eggs in the same oil as the garlic (butter preferably)
skin the roasted aubergines and mush it all
Mix everything together and add salt and pepper....It's lovely
Got it out of a middle easten cook book and can't remember its name,lol
just looked at this thread for the first time its very bad for me.
Reply 48
French Sausage with Tagliatelli :smile:
hornblower
Tuna Shake

Add 400 ml of milk
Add some ice cubes
Liquidise until creamy
Serve immediately

PLEASE tell me that's a joke....
Danithestudent
PLEASE tell me that's a joke....

No it's real but I would suggest adding an eggwhite to hold it together bit better as it tends to be a little bit slushy.

MB
Reply 51
How to make instant Popcorn...

1) Buy instant Popcorn packet
2) Put packet in microwave
3) set microwave then press start...
4) When popcorn is ready get out of Microwave and place in bowl...

ok now for something serious...

Damper..traditional Aussie dish.

1) Mix some flour, sugar and water into a bowl, should turn into a dough soon enough
2) Build a fire
3) Put dough in fire and wait until the damper is cooked.
4) Get out of fire and eat.

Its great, seriously.
Anyone got a good recipe for a cake?? An unusual and tasty cake, but not chocolate??

Ruthie xx
Reply 53
Found this on a website - sounds quite nice...

Dr. Pepper Cake
1 cup margarine
1 cup Dr. Pepper
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups flour, sifted
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
Icing
1/2 cup Dr. Pepper
1/4 cup margarine
3 tablespoons cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cake:
Heat Dr. Pepper with margarine, but do not boil. Set aside. Sift together flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa. Beat together eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and baking soda. Add hot Dr. Pepper mixture to dry ingredients. Stir in egg mixture, and blend well. Pour into greased and floured 15x10-inch sheet cake pan. Bake at 350 deg. for 25 minutes.

Icing:
About 5 minutes before cake is done, heat Dr. Pepper, margarine, and cocoa. Stir in powdered sugar, pecans, and vanilla. Spread icing on while cake is still hot.
(I think it would be nicer with marshmallows instead of pecan nuts! And you could put cherries in it - mmmm...)
Reply 54
Peanutty Balls

4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 cups icing sugar
2/3 cup peanut butter, room temperature
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon salt
Chocolate sprinkles
Glace cherries

*In a large bowl, mix the butter, icing sugar, peanut butter, walnuts, coconut, and salt.
*shape into 1-inch balls.
*Roll the balls around in the chocolate sprinkles so they're covered all over
*Stick a cherry on the top.
Amb1
Found this on a website - sounds quite nice...

Dr. Pepper Cake
1 cup margarine
1 cup Dr. Pepper
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups flour, sifted
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
Icing
1/2 cup Dr. Pepper
1/4 cup margarine
3 tablespoons cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cake:
Heat Dr. Pepper with margarine, but do not boil. Set aside. Sift together flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa. Beat together eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and baking soda. Add hot Dr. Pepper mixture to dry ingredients. Stir in egg mixture, and blend well. Pour into greased and floured 15x10-inch sheet cake pan. Bake at 350 deg. for 25 minutes.

Icing:
About 5 minutes before cake is done, heat Dr. Pepper, margarine, and cocoa. Stir in powdered sugar, pecans, and vanilla. Spread icing on while cake is still hot.
(I think it would be nicer with marshmallows instead of pecan nuts! And you could put cherries in it - mmmm...)

this sounds really tasty- think this is going to be the next thing i try :smile:
i need to make some cakes for a cake sale on saturday...if anyone has any good cake recipes (MUSIC BOY!!) then that would be great....ones that you know actually work cos I don't want to have any disasters!!

Ruthie xx
ruthiepoothie
i need to make some cakes for a cake sale on saturday...if anyone has any good cake recipes (MUSIC BOY!!) then that would be great....ones that you know actually work cos I don't want to have any disasters!!

Ruthie xx

OK, I'll just type some up

MB
Reply 58
hornblower
Tuna Shake

Add 400 ml of milk
Add some ice cubes
Liquidise until creamy
Serve immediately

oh my god, i'm gonna spew.....
Basic sponge cake

Ingredients:
3oz/75g soft butter
3oz/75g soft margarine
7oz/175g caster sugar
8oz/200g plain flour
1 level tsp baking powder
4 tbsp hot water
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs

Cream the margarine and butter together until they look like mayonnais. Add the sugar a tableespoonful at a time beating it in after eacch addition - the mixture will get lighter in colour and become slightly fluffy. Beat the vanilla essence into the mixture. Whisk the eggs to blend the yolks and whites. Beat in the eggs a spoonful at a time. Sift thee baking powder and flour together. Stir the flour into the mixture in three portions alternately with the hot water.

To Bake: Use an 8-inch loose bottomed cake tin (3 inch deep) or a 9-10inch oiled ring tin. Bake for 50-60 minutes at gas mark 4/350F/180C. Reduce the heat for a further to gas mark 3/325F/170C for 15 minutes if necessary.

To test whether done: Open oven gently and press the centre of cake with tip of finger (not to long or hard cos you'll braek the cake and burn yourself :smile: ) If it is ready the cake will spring back into shape immediately. If it is not done then the finger will leave a faint impression. DO NOT keep opening the oven to check. If you open the oven door while it's cooking it will sink and turn into a big soggy biscuit.

When the cake is cooked: Remove it from the oven, leave it for 5 minutes. Remove it from the tin and let it cool on a wire rack.

Variations

Marble cake
Use half the mixture to start filling the tin ddropping it in spoonfuls with gaps inbetween to leave room for the chocolate half. With the secon half of the cakee mixture, add a level tablespoonful of cocoa aand 4 level tablespoonfuls of drinking chocolate. Stir it all in until the mixture has a constant colour throughout. Drop this mixture into the gaps lefft in the cake tin. gently smooth over the top of the cake.

Sultana cake
Omit the vanilla essence and beat in the rind/zest of half a lemon. Put 200g/(1/2)Ib of sultanas in boiling water ffor 5 minutes. Then drain and dab dry with a tea-towwel. Stir into the cake with the flour.

Madiera cake
Cook in a 7-inch cake tin. Keep the recipe as in thee basic mixture. After half an hour cooking time, open the oven and lay a 3-inch long sliver of candied orange or lemon peel over the cake and close the oven door again

Other variations
This recipe works well if you want to improvise with other flavourings. I will put up ssome more cake reeccipes later. Make sure you keep the sugar.egg/fat content the same (baking cakes is jusst like chemistry - you need the right amount of certain basic ingredients)

Icing
If you don't want to ice these cakes then paint the top of cake with milk and scatter a thin layer of caster sugar. If people want I can put up somee icing/topping reccipes up.

MB

Quick Reply

Latest