The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Neilan
I am Totallywilling to accept that Loughborough is a poor choice for IB in comparison with Warwick/LSE/Oxbridge and those other big banking names, but it cant be considered worse than those other ones listed there.I know people at Loughborough who have gone to UBS, is that one of the ones you consider to be a big name?

YES IT IS. GO BACK AND READ THE QUESTION THAT WAS POSTED. I WAS ANSWERING A SPECIFIC QUESTION. IT IS FOR MATHS/ECONOMICS. LOUGHBOROUGH IS THE WORST ONE OUT OF ALL OF THEM FOR ANYTHING ECONOMICS RELATED. A 1ST CLASS UNDERGRAD AT SOUTHAMPTON/QM WILL STAND YOU IN MUCH BETTER STEAD FOR AN MSc AT A UNI LIKE THE LSE COMPARED TO YOUR BELOVED LOUGHBOROUGH. STOP CHATTING ABOUT ENGINEERING! GOOD BYE.
why are we talking about luftbra engineering? AFAIK ive never heard anything about Loughborough Econ department...our Economics teacher laughs at it (even though he graduated there)...places like Southhampton are regarded as quite good for economics...:s-smilie:

EDIT: looks like TheAP summed up what i was saying quicker...except he forgot to switch of the Caps lock button :P
seriously though...Loughborough students seem to be on every part of this forum...im no longer suprised at seeing some Modern lang. Luftbra student pop up at the Economics subforum or Maths subforum and start defending their Uni :s-smilie:
Reply 622
abrp
why are we talking about luftbra engineering? AFAIK ive never heard anything about Loughborough Econ department...our Economics teacher laughs at it (even though he graduated there)...places like Southhampton are regarded as quite good for economics...:s-smilie:

Okay so the economics is ****, but you dont have to have economics to go into IB.
Reply 623
abrp
dunno but ICL Msc Maths is in Extra...maybe thats how he "switched" :s-smilie:?

Imperial Maths BSc and Msci wernt in extra. Maths and computer science were though
Reply 624
thanks TheAP:smile:
Neilan
Okay so the economics is ****, but you dont have to have economics to go into IB.

okay then...lets tell the person who asked the question to accept Loughborough Economics offer and then try to get transferred to their engineering department.

fool.
Reply 626
abrp
okay then...lets tell the person who asked the question to accept Loughborough Economics offer and then try to get transferred to their economics department.

fool.

Presumably you mean to write "Engineering department" then?
Fool.
Reply 627
Everybody, chill! There's no need to get so hostile.
Neilan
Presumably you mean to write "Engineering department" then?
Fool.

im a fool because i wrote the wrong word as opposed to someone who has been giving wrong advise for god knows how many posts?

:rolleyes:

clearly you put me back in my place.
Reply 629
Neilan
Correct, they are. I know it's not as good as the big league but sport is not all its known for by employers.
Look at this guardian report from 2002 about how employers view universities. Go to page 12, where there is a list of the most common universities mentioned by employers as targets for recruitment.
My point in showing this is that the "posh" ones dont always win out when it comes to the final cut.
http://adinfo-guardian.co.uk/recruitment/pdf/research-pdfs/giee-brochure-2002.pdf

But thats lousy though. Sheffield, Nottingham, Leeds but not UCL, LSE, Durham ? Tbh it sounds like they just mixed all kinds of employers.
Reply 630
Neilan
Correct, they are. I know it's not as good as the big league but sport is not all its known for by employers.
Look at this guardian report from 2002 about how employers view universities. Go to page 12, where there is a list of the most common universities mentioned by employers as targets for recruitment.
My point in showing this is that the "posh" ones dont always win out when it comes to the final cut.
http://adinfo-guardian.co.uk/recruitment/pdf/research-pdfs/giee-brochure-2002.pdf

personally, its surprising how york isnt in there, as i thought they had a good reputation? at least better than sheffield?
Reply 631
markfung
personally, its surprising how york isnt in there, as i thought they had a good reputation? at least better than sheffield?

I reckon it probably does bloody well! I don't mean to suggest that Lboro beats everything - its doesnt, not by any stretch of the imagination.
In fact I'm sorry I pissed some of you off, just sometimes I get annoyed at people assuming that the common idea of where is good and where is bad is the be-all and end-all of the university puzzle.
Again, sorry. Perhaps I will see you guys at an IB some time in the future (doubting it but who knows).
Reply 632
Anyone know any engineers in ib who graduated from a uni like ucl?
Reply 633
v2006

I should think there are plenty. If you are considering that route as a way into IB then I think you could do much worse.
Only need BBB for most of their eng courses anyway so probably a pretty damn good backup if nothing else.
Reply 634
v2006

better chance than the uni's I've chosen.
I just wanted to make this one post and temporarily break my silence. I'll be starting at a bank and have seen the educational profiles of many of my fellow graduates.

There is not a single person in a front office position (IBD, S&T, ECM/DCM) outside of these universities:

Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
Warwick
UCL
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Bath (just one)

Here are the middle office unis:
Cass
Manchester (incl. Manchester Business School)
Oxford Brookes
Durham
Loughborough
Warwick (MSc HR Management or something)

The vast majority of those going into middle office have degrees in finance, economics, or math. Amongst the front office students, there are degrees in law, history, politics, and even one in music.

So...as I've said and I'll say again, for the front office, it appears that university reputation matters more than the course. If you are outside this circle (which I agree is flexible and differs slightly between different banks), you pretty much need a relevant degree just to get in the door, and it probably won't be the front door. This includes people who not only have finance-related degrees, but also MScs as well.
Reply 636
shady lane
I just wanted to make this one post and temporarily break my silence. I'll be starting at a bank and have seen the educational profiles of many of my fellow graduates.

There is not a single person in a front office position (IBD, S&T, ECM/DCM) outside of these universities:

Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
Warwick
UCL
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Bath (just one)

Cass
Oxford Brookes
Durham
Loughborough

The vast majority of those going into middle office have degrees in finance, economics, or math. Amongst the front office students, there are degrees in law, history, politics, and even one in music.

So...as I've said and I'll say again, for the front office, it appears that university reputation matters more than the course. If you are outside this circle (which I agree is flexible and differs slightly between different banks), you pretty much need a relevant degree just to get in the door, and it probably won't be the front door. This includes people who not only have finance-related degrees, but also MScs as well.

That seems fair (well perhaps not fair but correct!).

Many engineers in there? I'm more interested in the second level there where relevant degrees are required.
shady lane

Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
Warwick
UCL
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Bath (just one)

Cass
Oxford Brookes
Durham
Loughborough

are there more of them from oxford and cambridge(separately) than from lse
what about phds? are there any?
How tall are they? What colour hair do they have?