The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm surprised to hear about RHUL being slow, given that (based on the uni's I've been looking at) they seem to make applying a lot more straight forward than others. Having said that, I got an email from yesterday telling me that they had no AHRC money to offer me- which in some ways is a relief- not sure I could do another three years in Egham :s-smilie:
That's a shame, what subject are you studying?
Reply 102
15faitsprecis
I'm surprised to hear about RHUL being slow, given that (based on the uni's I've been looking at) they seem to make applying a lot more straight forward than others. Having said that, I got an email from yesterday telling me that they had no AHRC money to offer me- which in some ways is a relief- not sure I could do another three years in Egham :s-smilie:

Their application process is quick, just the AHRC process is stupidly slow for them and they work about 3 months behind every other uni in the country :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear they've not got any funding for you, perhaps a blessing in disguise if you're not sure about staying in Egham long term. It's always good to move institutions too :smile:
apotoftea
I can tell you now that you'll know from Oxford re: funding a good 3 months before RHUL if this year is anything to go by :rolleyes: You can only accept one though and have one JeS application form.

Who are you hoping to work with at RHUL?

Ah, well that's reassuring in a sense.

I'd be working with Humayun Ansari. I take it you did your BA there?

Re: Egham... doesn't RHUL have a postgraduate base in the centre of London also (Gower St.)? I'd also rather not spend three years of my life in Surrey/Middlesex/wherever. I can't imagine they'd heave a problem with a doctoral student commuting from London anyway.
Reply 104
Bread and Circlejerks
Ah, well that's reassuring in a sense.

I'd be working with Humayun Ansari. I take it you did your BA there?

Just finished my MA there (didn't do my BA there though). I know of him and his status in the department and academic world will help with funding issues :wink:

Re: Egham... doesn't RHUL have a postgraduate base in the centre of London also (Gower St.)? I'd also rather not spend three years of my life in Surrey/Middlesex/wherever. I can't imagine they'd heave a problem with a doctoral student commuting from London anyway.

It does as in it's got Bedford Square but from what I know through the PhD students I'm friends with - there's only one flat (4 rooms, kitchen etc) available as accommodation and it basically never comes available because whoever leaves fills their own room instantly.

I was told not to live in Egham for PhD because you don't really need to be there. The campus library is rubbish for History IMHO (was heading into London at least once a week for books etc) and I've done Egham albeit for a year - funny place. It's a commuter town with a university, a Tesco Metro and a Boots really. Windsor's nice and relatively affordable but you're looking at 1hr 5 into Waterloo. Have a look at Unite accommodation, Goodenough College etc for accommodation in London, unless you're wanting to rent properly. The UoL owns properties ON Gower Street but they're pretty expensive - worth it though for location and what's on the doorstep. Avoid the inter-collegiate halls - not particularly nice and definitely not worth the cost.

Saying all of that, the RHUL halls are nice and perfectly do-able for a year. Suppose it depends on what you want from it? Even if you are in London, for the first term or so, you'll be commuting into Egham for all the PhD training as it's done on campus, not in central London.
RHUL is a great university and you could certainly do a lot worse than live in halls or the surrounding areas. What I meant by my comment about not being in Egham for another year is because I did my BA there (graduated in 2008) and feel that was plenty of time to spend there really.

Commuting in from London is a good idea in theory, but I would make sure to look around the South West area, because travelling will cost quite a lot (especially on top of London living costs anyway!).
Thanks to both of you for detailed stuff re: RHUL.

I think if I ended up there I would probably rent privately in London and commute. I know that the cost of that would be quite considerable, but hopefully it would be balanced by the fact that much of my research will require access to the British Library. So whether I live in Surrey or in London, I'll have to do some traveling in between the two at points.
Reply 107
One of my friends is renting in zone 2 for under £400 a month in quite a nice house (which is less than what I paid for halls on RHUL's campus) so it can be done - just 'shop' around :smile:
That's quite reasonable for London. My rent is £650 a month for a 1 bed flat in zone 5, would love to move closer in but it's way too expensive at the mo.
apotoftea
One of my friends is renting in zone 2 for under £400 a month in quite a nice house (which is less than what I paid for halls on RHUL's campus) so it can be done - just 'shop' around :smile:

I'm in Zone 3 and I pay a little over £400 (not bad when someone I know was paying £390 in Egham!). I'd say it's definitely do-able on a student budget!
I finally got a response from Kings today re.AHRC stuff - and apparantly they have one research preparation award between, not just the for whole of the English department, but inclusive of pretty much the whole Arts and Humanities dept. I believe it may be time for a rethink!
Reply 111
Well that solves one dilemna - UG uni's funding is not a full studentship, just a stipend and there's no way I could live, rent and travel on that!
15faitsprecis
I finally got a response from Kings today re.AHRC stuff - and apparantly they have one research preparation award between, not just the for whole of the English department, but inclusive of pretty much the whole Arts and Humanities dept. I believe it may be time for a rethink!

Please tell me that research preparation awards aren't for the taught Masters?!!?!?! :eek3:
Not all 'taught' masters are actually taught though.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Please tell me that research preparation awards aren't for the taught Masters?!!?!?! :eek3:

I don't know if this is the case across the board, but yup, this is in relation to a taught masters. Sigh.
15faitsprecis
I don't know if this is the case across the board, but yup, this is in relation to a taught masters. Sigh.

:eek3:

Meh. Never liked KCL anyway :biggrin:

FadedJade
Not all 'taught' masters are actually taught though.

I think all Music ones are supposed to be actually taught :ninja:
That may well be true, I didn't know the subject :smile:
Reply 117
The_Lonely_Goatherd

It'll be both :smile: But I'd say from my own googling, the majority of AHRC funded MAs are taught MAs, rather than MRes courses.
Reply 118
I was wondering, does anyone know whether you can apply for PhD funding after you've started your PhD?

I officially started it last year, money wasn't a problem then but circumstances changed/are going to change soon so I'll probably need some funding or need to switch to part time.

In case it depends on field, it's Marketing.
Reply 119
c2uk
I was wondering, does anyone know whether you can apply for PhD funding after you've started your PhD?

I officially started it last year, money wasn't a problem then but circumstances changed/are going to change soon so I'll probably need some funding or need to switch to part time.

In case it depends on field, it's Marketing.

I know you can for the AHRC but not sure whether that's for UK and EU students or only UK students.

Quick Reply