The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Phalanges
Really? I never studied it past Year 9 (I don't even have a GCSE in it) but recently I've been getting really into it, to the point where I've decided I'd quite like to do a history degree when I'm older just out of interest.

Yeah I agree, I find it fascinating, along with the sciences. My main gripe is that it tends to reward exam technique and hoop jumping more than really knowing & loving the subject matter - it could even be a disadvantage to know too much about a particular subject. An intelligent and knowledgable essay could score worse than a reasonably knowledgable essay that has perfect exam technique. To get a decent grade you need to know the bare-bones, plus a bit more of the syllabus and have a good exam technique. Despire probably being my best subject along with biology, it is by far my least favourite exam.

A degree would obviously be different, more focus on subject content.
Reply 1001
Okay. So, Health and Social is a no go. What about Philosophy & Ethics or Psychology?
I did philosophy and ethics, and really really enjoyed it, I did psychology too

Both have come in handy firstly RE was good when reading medical/health ethics journals, I also got 100% in my ethics exam last year as the whole module was pretty much my as-level year lol Psychology has come in handy with the basics of research methods etc and as a grounded view for my EBP module etc, and means I dont have to learn a whole new language etc like some of my peers, I have something to go off on- However I still used research methods in my science a-levels.

As for health and social care- well coming from a nursing student, I wouldn't even reccomend it for nursing. It doesn't really cover much, is largely focused on models and care theories that are only slightly touched on in the degree, and is only really good for students who prefer coursework over exams. Most of my friends who did it actually went onto allied health professional courses such as OTs, physios, social workers, child development etc than actually nursing/midwifery/medicine!

However pick a topic you'd enjoy aswell, thats the most important thing!
Keiron-J
Okay. So, Health and Social is a no go. What about Philosophy & Ethics or Psychology?

I'm doing Phil/Ethics. It's a subject that I really enjoy, but it is possible for it to be taught very badly. I sometimes get the feeling my phil teacher doesn't understand bits of the syllabus, which makes I very hard for them to teach it.

As a subject, it is very useful indeed. If you do OCR Religious Ethics, there's a whole module on medical ethics (genetic engineering, abortion, IVF, euthanasia), and being able to talk and write inteligently about these things was a great help in interviews. I think I may have quoted Peter Singer in my PMS interview (though I've blanked most of that terrible mornin out(!))
Fission_Mailed
I'm doing Phil/Ethics. It's a subject that I really enjoy, but it is possible for it to be taught very badly. I sometimes get the feeling my phil teacher doesn't understand bits of the syllabus, which makes I very hard for them to teach it.

As a subject, it is very useful indeed. If you do OCR Religious Ethics, there's a whole module on medical ethics (genetic engineering, abortion, IVF, euthanasia), and being able to talk and write inteligently about these things was a great help in interviews. I think I may have quoted Peter Singer in my PMS interview (though I've blanked most of that terrible mornin out(!))

Wasn't it singer thats involved in animal ethics rather than medical? The AQA syllabus has a whole module on medical ethics too, well it did in 2007/8 lol
Subcutaneous
Wasn't it singer thats involved in animal ethics rather than medical? The AQA syllabus has a whole module on medical ethics too, well it did in 2007/8 lol

Singer is deeply involved in both, I guess different exam boards just emphasise different areas. His book Practical Ethics has a lot in it.
Hi,

Im applying for Medicine and I am doing Further Maths and Maths at AS, in my second year I am planning to drop Further Maths. I will have one module in which I have to decide which I would like to do.

I would like to do Decision Maths (D1) instead of Mechanics 2 (M2). Im not doing Maths at Uni, and would like to get a flavour for Decision. Before I decide to choose it, I would just like to make sure that it makes no difference to my Med Application.

Thanks for you time :smile:

Futher Maths (AS Modules)

-FP1
-M1
-S2

Maths (A2 Modules)

- C1
- C2
- C3
- C4
- S1
- D1
Any ideas?
Tally_16
Hi,

Im applying for Medicine and I am doing Further Maths and Maths at AS, in my second year I am planning to drop Further Maths. I will have one module in which I have to decide which I would like to do.

I would like to do Decision Maths (D1) instead of Mechanics 2 (M2). Im not doing Maths at Uni, and would like to get a flavour for Decision. Before I decide to choose it, I would just like to make sure that it makes no difference to my Med Application.

Thanks for you time :smile:

Futher Maths (AS Modules)

-FP1
-M1
-S2

Maths (A2 Modules)

- C1
- C2
- C3
- C4
- S1
- D1

You're fretting too much. Your application is going to be completely fine :smile:
Reply 1009
I hope what modules you do wouldn't make a difference to uni applications because at my college you don't get to decide everyone does the same!
It won't, most won't even look at the modules. I did D1 and I go...

Oh

Ignore me.

:no:
I did D1 AND D2 for my A level and I've got 2 offers. :smile:
Thanks alot guys. My teachers wasnt sure, and didnt want to say without being sure, so I thought I would makee sure :smile: Cheerss guyys :P x
They won't care. Mechanics is the module most unrelated to med. Stats I'd say is probably the most related. With decision in the middle.
Reply 1014
Mechanics is essentially physics, so if you do physics as well, why not do m2, as it will be easier.

Also, if someone could clarify whether mechanics would help with the science bit of the BMAT?
Reply 1015
:confused: I have finished my GCSEs with good grades(A*-Bs) and for my AS/A2 Levels I have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Physics but I dont know if should pick Psychology or Business Studies for my forth subject. I want to know which subject choice would my application to Medical school stronger?
Reply 1016
Why would psychology benefit you less than business studies? And vice versa.. Pick whatever subject you want to do more. Most universities really only want chemistry to A2, some require biology to A2 also. Doing both these subjects would be a good idea, in my opinion. Just do the subjects you think you'll succeed in and the ones that you are most likely enjoy. I know that this has been said a hundred times, but it's true. As long as you get the grades, most universities don't care what subjects you take. Good luck! =]
Both subjects to be honest are pretty simple. Psychology is a very easy A level given they require little knowledge and just some lateral application of it. Then again, I hear business studies involves multiple guess and concepts, which if my Labrador had opposable thumbs, would be able to sum up an essay about.
Single Malt
Both subjects to be honest are pretty simple. Psychology is a very easy A level given they require little knowledge and just some lateral application of it. Then again, I hear business studies involves multiple guess and concepts, which if my Labrador had opposable thumbs, would be able to sum up an essay about.

I think that's being a little harsh. Granted, it is not as rigorous as some of the more "classic" subjects but that does not make it any easier. Give me a C4 exam over a Psychology AS Paper any day :eek3:

To the OP, it really does not matter what you do as your 4th and as long as you keep Chem and Bio through to A2, your options are wide open (except for specific oxbridge colleges) :smile:
Doesnt matter - which one do you like best?

Latest