The Student Room Group

How do Uni's check a level results

How do universities check a-level results?

Obviously when you enroll you are asked to provide certificates as proof of your grades. But can and more importantly do universities cross check these results using a database or UCAS?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just commented because I'm angry about your apostrophe. It was painful.
Reply 2
the check belonging to the Uni. Indeed.

It's always something I've wondered myself. Last year the Uni mysteriously changed my "Firm Conditional Offer" into an "Unconditional" a few days (or maybe a week) before exam results came out. I didn't even reach the conditions of my original offer (they wanted Biology and I failed it. I'm studying English Lit though and I got a better than expected grade in that at school) but I still got in.

So I wonder if the Uni's get notified of anyone who's just skimmed under the mark of their conditions before the exam results come out, and they then make another decision on that?

That's what happened to me anyway.
Reply 3
I can't imagine why you'd be interested in knowing this, and I certainly hope it's not so you can attempt to falsify your results.

The examination boards will supply your results to UCAS, who in turn will pass on the relevant details to the universities you have applied for. Because they have this info, most unis won't bother asking to see your certificates. For other qualifications such as the IB, I guess the system is probably a bit different, but I don't really know much in that area.
Reply 4
No my a-level results are 4 years old so UCAS won't submit anything to the university other than the grades I have entered myself.

The question still stands....do universities check a-level results using a database?
Reply 5
Sybella

It's always something I've wondered myself. Last year the Uni mysteriously changed my "Firm Conditional Offer" into an "Unconditional" a few days (or maybe a week) before exam results came out. I didn't even reach the conditions of my original offer (they wanted Biology and I failed it. I'm studying English Lit though and I got a better than expected grade in that at school) but I still got in.

I believe exam boards inform UCAS, then UCAS informs the university (or universities) before results day.

Universities need to know your results after all! Otherwise they won't know whether you have met their offer or not.

They get them a few days before the student does. This is to give them enough time to do whatever admin work needs to be done and, if the student has missed the offer, to consider whether to allow them onto the course or not.
Reply 6
Dez
I can't imagine why you'd be interested in knowing this, and I certainly hope it's not so you can attempt to falsify your results.

The examination boards will supply your results to UCAS, who in turn will pass on the relevant details to the universities you have applied for. Because they have this info, most unis won't bother asking to see your certificates. For other qualifications such as the IB, I guess the system is probably a bit different, but I don't really know much in that area.

love your signature :biggrin:
Reply 7
What does ucas track say if you have been accepted by a uni?
Reply 8
thecdon
What does ucas track say if you have been accepted by a uni?

"The current status of your application is:

Congratulations! Your place at (your unversity) to study (your subject) has been confirmed.

You will receive a Confirmation Letter shortly."
Yeh definately. When I applied to Uni, I put all my grades as "pending" because I only got ABCD. But when i resat all my as levels the following year with my A2s. I got an average from the AS modules of AAA, yet on when i enrolled at Uni, they had my AS grades. So to cut a long story short, they have direct access to your, results and get them a week before you do
Reply 10
thomas201989
How do universities check a-level results?

Obviously when you enroll you are asked to provide certificates as proof of your grades. But can and more importantly do universities cross check these results using a database or UCAS?

If you have already achieved your results I would imagine that, when they make an unconditional offer, they will ask for certificates then. Usually originals (which you should send by recorded delivery).

If you have lied about your qualifications/grades then they can withdraw the unconditional offer.

I would imagine this is how it works but not 100% sure. I should know as my housmate applied two years after receiving his A-levels (having left Goldsmiths).

I applied twice. The second time I applied was after my A-level results. I missed my Durham offer first time around but they eventually allowed me in after considering my mitigating circumstances. But as I had withdrawn from UCAS I needed to re-apply. They didn't ask for any certificates after making the second offer (unconditional) or when I registered.

This situation is different as they were already aware of my A-level grades having been informed by UCAS the previous summer.
Reply 11
River85
If you have already achieved your results I would imagine that, when they make an unconditional offer, they will ask for certificates then. Usually originals (which you should send by recorded delivery).

If you have lied about your qualifications/grades then they can withdraw the unconditional offer.

I would imagine this is how it works but not 100% sure. I should know as my housmate applied two years after receiving his A-levels (having left Goldsmiths).

I applied twice. The second time I applied was after my A-level results. I missed my Durham offer first time around but they eventually allowed me in after considering my mitigating circumstances. But as I had withdrawn from UCAS I needed to re-apply. They didn't ask for any certificates after making the second offer (unconditional) or when I registered.

This situation is different as they were already aware of my A-level grades having been informed by UCAS the previous summer.

Nope your wrong about the process. You don't know lol

When you recieve an unconditional you are asked when you enroll to submit the certificates (these can be photocopies)........however this is not always the case (as you have written yourself). I would know, I have done it before.

Still nobody has answered the question 'do universities cross reference these certificates on a database?'
They hire private investigators to snoop around... :wink:
Reply 13
thomas201989

No need to be so patronising with the lol. With that sort of attitude no one is going to provide you with the information you're looking for.

When you recieve an unconditional you are asked when you enroll to submit the certificates (these can be photocopies)........however this is not always the case (as you have written yourself). I would know, I have done it before.

I didn't say (or mean to suggest) that all unconditionals require you to immediately send certificates. I said that often an offer (including unconditionals) might ask for certificates. I received unconditionals from UCL and LSE but they didn't ask for certificates.

If they do you are required to send them to the university, often the originals, ideally by recorded delivery.

Having done a quick search this is confirmed by UCAS: -

UCAS

The offer I have received asks me to send proof of my qualifications. Where do I send this?

You send proof of your qualifications to the university or college that has made the offer. It is a good idea to check what they require and how they would advise you to send it, before taking the risk of sending original certificates through the post. You can find address details in our list of universities and colleges.

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/results/faqs/exams/faq2

Still nobody has answered the question 'do universities cross reference these certificates on a database?'

It would help if you actually clarified your original post (and title). People don't know you're referring to those who already have the qualications in question. Your post suggests that you're referring to those who are waiting for their results.
Reply 14
thomas201989

Nobody has answered your question because you keep changing it.
Why does this matter? Unless you are planning on doing something wrong, like lying about your results. The only thing people need to know, is that examination boards send the grades to UCAS, UCAS to uni = decision is then made. Simples.
Reply 15
If it has not already become apparent;

Does anybody know whether Universities can access a database where qualifications (particulary A-Levels) can be checked, if they have requested that information from the individual applying and not from UCAS?

N.B. Answers should not include information relating to candidates who are gaining their qualifcations in the same calander year which they are applying.
Reply 16
thomas201989
If it has not already become apparent;

Does anybody know whether Universities can access a database where qualifications (particulary A-Levels) can be checked, if they have requested that information from the individual applying and not from UCAS?

N.B. Answers should not include information relating to candidates who are gaining their qualifcations in the same calander year which they are applying.

OK. No, if the university is requesting this information, it will be up to you to send your results to them (certificates, results sheets etc.). They will not then access a database to see if the results are correct. Certificates or other valid evidence of your results that you give them will suffice.
Reply 17
Sybella

[...]

So I wonder if the Uni's get notified of anyone who's just skimmed under the mark [...].

Fab.
:rolleyes:
When I got my grades last year there was a bit of a mix up because i changed school for one of my subjects after AS as my college couldn't provide teachers for that course. Anyway, on results day a worried looking exam officer from the college that I had moved to ran up to me and my friend seemingly thinking that we hadn't been entered for one of the AS exams as my college had not forwarded him the paperwork, however on our results sheets we had evidence that we had completed this exam and had a grade for it. This resulted however in us having to sit down with a calculator and add up all of our grades ourselves, and to this day I still haven't had a certificate.

I have a conditional offer which rides on achieving a B in an A-level that I have completed this year, will not having a certificate for that subject majorly **** things up, or will a call to the exam board to clarify that I do have that mark suffice?
Reply 19
cje10
OK. No, if the university is requesting this information, it will be up to you to send your results to them (certificates, results sheets etc.). They will not then access a database to see if the results are correct. Certificates or other valid evidence of your results that you give them will suffice.

And how do you know this? (by the way brilliantly consice and accurate answer)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending