The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Just prove that you understand how the machines and equipment works, if you say you do, they will usually give you the benefit of the doubt. If you say you don't, they will give you a quick demonstration to show you how it works. I wouldn't worry though because nothing in the gym is that complicated to use. What i would say is, get some sleep.
Reply 2
Dan-Scotland
I have my gym induction in about 9 hours, and I am nervous as hell. I know it's probably nothing to worry about but I'm worried what I will have to do there. I've never been to any gym before so have no idea what it's really like. What will happen on my induction and what will I be asked to do?

Don't worry, all they do is show you around and how to use different stuff. It is really for health and safety reasons tbh, you don't have to do anything.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Really nothing to worry about in the slightest.. you just have to listen an watch as they show you what to do. You can even say you know how to use them to avoide the whole thing, it's pretty easy to use gym equipment without any guidance, unless you're planning on using weights in any way. What were you expecting that is making you so nervous? lol.
Reply 4
itll take 5 minutes as they just show you how to operate and the correct way in which to use the equipment. There not going to force you to try and bench press twice your weight or something or other.
Reply 5
it's a gym not navy seals

it's for insurance reasons, so they can 100% say they told you how to safely operate the machines/weights

sheesh
I feel your pain. If I have to put up with them lecturing me on every ****** isolation exercise available, I'd ******* **** myself. A lot of ******** but you'll survive.
Reply 7
Should I wear gym stuff or is jeabs fine since I won't actually be doing much today?
Reply 8
On mine, they took me round all the machines and showed me how to use them, and I tested them and then the instructor drew up a plan for me so I have a programme to follow when I go back.
I'd wear gym stuff in case they expect you to test out the machines.

It's not scary, honest.
Reply 9
cowsforsale
I feel your pain. If I have to put up with them lecturing me on every ****** isolation exercise available, I'd ******* **** myself. A lot of ******** but you'll survive.

It's painful. I had to watch a 45 minute video involving every machine they had, and several which they didn't.

OP, you can't fail an induction....
Reply 10
Just look receptive, be polite and nod your head. They'll go really easy on you. As someone has already said, they do the induction to minimise the chances of you injuring yourself in the future and then deciding to sue the gym. I reckon once you get going, you won't use 80% of the exercises they show you.