The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Boristhethird
the rear brake isn't used too much by most bikers, and being warped doesn't mean the brake wont work.

I use my rear brake quite a lot?

Yes it'll work but it'll vibrate like buggery which is the last thing you want when you really need to use it.
It's a stupid idea to use ANY vehicle with brakes that aren't 100%. Fact.

If you want to take your chances, go for it. Your funeral, pal.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bathwiggle

Stop right there. Bike AREN'T dangerous. Its the soft squishy bit between the handle bars and the seat that is the problem.

Don't think about the speed, put some head phones in your helmet, listen to some music you like and watch the world go past.

I hate being pillion, its not me at all, i much rather the control. It might be worth going on to www.geton.co.uk and seeing it there is any free hour trials left. Just so you can realise you don't have to be doing 120 all the time. Trials bikes are different to sports bikes.

Its not easy to skid, trust me, i fail at skidding regularly, I've done er 40,000 miles on the bike, and not lost it in a skid. For someone to pull out infront of you, the rider should be paying enough attention to avoid it, you can predict when they are going to do it and take steps so you don't hit them.

Who do you go on the back of the bike with, as its sounds like you don't trust their riding. is there someone else you can try pillioning with?

The best way to be a good pillion is to relax, remember the rider is in control, and if you are scared, ask them to stop doing what scared you.

Wearing headphones would help me i think actually - thanks for that, good suggestion!

Usually my cousin, i know he wouldn't intentionally be dangerous - but he has had two accidents before which makes me nervous! Usually he will tap my leg before he pulls away which helps but i think maybe it just takes getting used to... I don't think they would ever go slow - to be fair if you have one of these sports bikes that can go 170 or whatever you just wouldn't stick to 70 - you might as well just have a bike that can go 70 then?

I would normally go on the back of the quad which i don't have a problem with - its just the bikes, or maybe as you say - my cousin - that i have the problem with! Thanks for your help, definitely going to try with the headphones :smile:

your wearing leathers, that will save your skin, the armour in this will save your bones.

i think it also come with practice, when my dad first got his bike, i refused to go on the back - far too scared.
but after i had been on it a few times, was loving in, and ended up getting my own bike (now going on the back is boring :rolleyes:).
so i think just practice and experience will make it more enjoyable, also try asking the rider to ride less aggressively (so less acceleration, speed, etc)

Thank you! I'll give it a go a few more times - if i still don't like it i won't do it! :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by Nice'n'Easy
Wearing headphones would help me i think actually - thanks for that, good suggestion!

Usually my cousin, i know he wouldn't intentionally be dangerous - but he has had two accidents before which makes me nervous! Usually he will tap my leg before he pulls away which helps but i think maybe it just takes getting used to... I don't think they would ever go slow - to be fair if you have one of these sports bikes that can go 170 or whatever you just wouldn't stick to 70 - you might as well just have a bike that can go 70 then?

I would normally go on the back of the quad which i don't have a problem with - its just the bikes, or maybe as you say - my cousin - that i have the problem with! Thanks for your help, definitely going to try with the headphones :smile:

Does your dad ride? if so get him to take you out a couple of times

If i've got my pillion on my bike then i don't go above 80. Its fine risking myself as silly speeds but i don't want to risk her. i started patting her leg when i was about to accelerate, still do, but generally she can predict when and what i'm going to do so holds on automatically.

Just because a bike does 180 doesn't mean you have to do 180, its the acceleration thats fun for me. My bike is a 'big' bike, and yet i very very rarely go over 100, its not worth risking my license for, and i want a faster bike just for more of a rush when i'm accelerating from 0-90

Does your dad ride? if so get him to take you out a couple of times

If i've got my pillion on my bike then i don't go above 80. Its fine risking myself as silly speeds but i don't want to risk her. i started patting her leg when i was about to accelerate, still do, but generally she can predict when and what i'm going to do so holds on automatically.

Just because a bike does 180 doesn't mean you have to do 180, its the acceleration thats fun for me. My bike is a 'big' bike, and yet i very very rarely go over 100, its not worth risking my license for, and i want a faster bike just for more of a rush when i'm accelerating from 0-90

Unfortunately he only has a quad - have been on the back with him previously though and felt fine. I think maybe it is just the trust issue!

I agree with what you're saying - i much prefer driving alone because i wouldn't go much over 90 with anyone in the car!

You sound like a considerate rider - maybe i need to find one of those! Hopefully my Brother will pass his test soon so then i can ride with him :smile:
Reply 85

Hiya,
Just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice - been on the back of a bike three times now (ninja - i dont know the spec - its green :rolleyes: ) and am petrified of coming off. I'm not INTO bikes cos i think they're dangerous (last time i got on my brothers trial bike i went straight through the hedge...got the scars to prove it:no:...) but my family do it so i wanna come along for the ride. Obviously i wear leathers and a helmet etc...just wanted some reassurance maybe that i'm not gonna die!?

green ninja :coma:
Reply 86
Unfortunately he only has a quad - have been on the back with him previously though and felt fine. I think maybe it is just the trust issue!

I agree with what you're saying - i much prefer driving alone because i wouldn't go much over 90 with anyone in the car!

You sound like a considerate rider - maybe i need to find one of those! Hopefully my Brother will pass his test soon so then i can ride with him :smile:

Where abouts in essex are you?

Where abouts in essex are you?

Chelmsford
Reply 88
Chelmsford

Do you want to try going on the back of a different bike? (i spend my life between colchester and billericay)
Reply 89

Do you want to try going on the back of a different bike? (i spend my life between colchester and billericay)

how come youve never invited me? :cry:

:huff:
Reply 90
Original post by Juno

because you don't like near me :frown:
Reply 91

because you don't like near me :frown:

the correct answer is because you suck :smile:

At some point, yes thank you! Not sure about meeting up with a random person :hmmm: but thats a very kind offer!
(I'll have enough time on my hands over summer!!)
Reply 93
Original post by Juno

I feel your pain :emo:
Reply 94
At some point, yes thank you! Not sure about meeting up with a random person :hmmm: but thats a very kind offer!
(I'll have enough time on my hands over summer!!)

I've met several of the lads on here. I'm a lass if thats any help (london to brighton link has a pic, and theres always facebook) i'm also normally down at hte 8ball cafe wednesdays for the bike meet if that means anything to you

Original post by R-KAM
I feel your pain :emo:

Get a bike!

I've met several of the lads on here. I'm a lass if thats any help (london to brighton link has a pic, and theres always facebook) i'm also normally down at hte 8ball cafe wednesdays for the bike meet if that means anything to you

Get a bike!

Yeah that does help :smile: If you were a guy i would defo not meet up! Nah it doesn't sorry - not really into bikes massively; just want to join in! Thank you tho :smile:
Reply 96
Stop right there. Bike AREN'T dangerous. Its the soft squishy bit between the handle bars and the seat that is the problem.

'fraid I disagree.
You take a massive risk every time you go out that someone isn't going to take you out because they don't see you / can't be arsed to look for you.

But that's the world we live in and that's the risk we accept we have to take.
Reply 97
Original post by JC.
'fraid I disagree.
You take a massive risk every time you go out that someone isn't going to take you out because they don't see you / can't be arsed to look for you.

Stick a bike in a field, it won't hurt anyone. stick a rider on the bike then you might have a problem.

The mileage i do, if they were that dangerous i would have been taken out by now. you can not say that 40,000+ miles its only luck that has prevented me from being seriously injured in a crash. now, i'd say i have some skill, but for many of the miles, just riding, it wasn't a massive risk, there is a slight risk, but given the pillars in some cars can block a whole car, it isn't that much difference.

Yes cars drivers don't see bikes, but the easiest way to crash? over estimate your skill, brake to hard, to fast in a corner, hit a pot hole and lose control. Many of the rider caused accidents don't get recorded, because they think 'i'm a wally' arrange a mate to pick up the bike in a van, and then go to hospital separately

Yeah that does help :smile: If you were a guy i would defo not meet up! Nah it doesn't sorry - not really into bikes massively; just want to join in! Thank you tho :smile:

:smile: The offers there if you want to, i'm on here most days unless i'm on holiday, in which case this lot will know i'm away! if they need it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by JC.
'fraid I disagree.

Sorry mate, I'm with Wiggle on this.

A motorbike is NOT inherently dangerous. Without a driver or rider to operate the vehicle, it sits there on the road or driveway (or in my case, the pavement) looking pretty. Whilst the engine is off, there is nothing that it can possibly do to be dangerous. Add a person to the equation and that's where **** can hit the fan.

I agree that riding a bike carries more risk than a car because the statistics and obvious structural design supports it but IMO, accidents are very, very rarely the actual vehicle's fault. It's the person who's sat behind/on it that messes up.
Reply 99
A bit pedantic tbh, I think he means riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car, and the figures back that up. You can't argue; you are more likely to die or be seriously injured riding a motorcycle. Police motorcycle handbook says one of the reasons motorcycles are more likely to be killed or injured is dismissal of risk.

Skill might be part of it, but if you make a minor mistake in a car the airbag goes off and the seatbelt pulls you back, on a bike it is much more serious.

Latest