The Student Room Group

Best advice you could give to a fresher?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by trinny_911
I have an odd question. How soon is reasonable/a good idea to visit/be visited by your boyfriend??

Im assuming not the first weekend, but is the second weekend too soon??

xx

I think this may be a case of go with the flow, if Id had a gf at the time, I would have probably gone with second or third weekend in
Original post by DMed
I think this may be a case of go with the flow, if Id had a gf at the time, I would have probably gone with second or third weekend in

Thanks, thats around the time im thinking, unfortuantely he doesnt start until 2 weeks after me =[. I just wanted to make sure that him visiting wont rubbishly impact my 'friend making time' if that makes any sense??
xx
Reply 82
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Do the council throw freebie parties for roadwork signs?

:wink:

Haha oh dear
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo

Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
And have all your worldly possessions stolen

He means when you are in your room.
Reply 84
I have an odd question. How soon is reasonable/a good idea to visit/be visited by your boyfriend??

xx

Tbh I had a girlfriend who lived near by and she was there 3 of the nights of freshers, she got on with everyone in the house and it all went well. There isn't a time limit, just whenever you feel comfortable, chances are your housemates will want to meet them :smile:
Reply 85
- Be confident
- Keep your door open
- Go out and meet as many people as you can. The 2nd and 3rd terms are where you can narrow down your friendship groups.
- Be friends with everyone, regardless of how annoying or geeky they may seem. one guy who I thought was really annoying at first actually turned out to be probably my best friend from first year.
- Don't try and join everything at the freshers' fair as you simply won't be able to join everything. Also be aware of how much things cost. Generally you can get on the society's email list without paying the fees immediately. You can then go and try it out before commiting.
- Starting uni is the first time you will have been able to reinvent yourself since leaving school/college, so make the most of it as you people won't have any preconceived opinions of you. Obviously don't become fake though, just be yourself.
- If you already know people at the same uni as you, don't hang around with them much until later in the year as you need the time to find out who your new friends are.

xx

That's up to you I think and whether you want to keep your selves to yourselves while he's up or whether you both want to join in with everyone else?
Reply 87
Original post by Hipster
Wear sunscreen, bro.

For people who don't 'get it':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ

what a magnificent video.
i didn't understand the sunscreen part, but wow.
Reply 88
Original post by vertigo.0012
Voice of experience...? :wink:

Oh god don't even remind me -.-

I can never step foot into Diva's again:frown:
Original post by Kanonoji
Oh god don't even remind me -.-

I can never step foot into Diva's again:frown:

Not even if those pretty ladies who hand out free entry in fresher's begged you...?

My flatmate spent like £300 in one night in there. He was not happy when he checked his bank the next day :s-smilie: but hey! Live and learn right :wink:
Be yourself.
Be friendly as much as you can.
First night is up to you, but i found that freshers week there is so much going on anyway that to have a night off doesnt mean you miss out in any way.
Enjoy yourself and use loads of journal articles :tongue:
Reply 92
Don't go looking for sex.

When you're talking to girls in freshers talk to them as if they're a mate, not a potential one night stand. You don't want a reputation as a desperate creep and it's just general advice for life too.

Also forget about your school mates. New friends are way more important, and will be necessary for the next 3-4 years to be enjoyable.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've been a Fresher at two different universities and both were completely different experiences. My only advice would be to keep an open door (take a doorstop) when you're in your room, and an open mind. It's easy to overthink everything and to base your expectations on what other people have already told you/what it was like for your friends. But it's never going to be like any of their experiences. Don't take yourself too seriously and just try to enjoy the ride.
Thanks, thats around the time im thinking, unfortuantely he doesnt start until 2 weeks after me =[. I just wanted to make sure that him visiting wont rubbishly impact my 'friend making time' if that makes any sense??
xx

As long as you don't use your sexuality to make friends it wont be a problem.
Reply 95
Original post by HARRY PUTAH

Candy trails to lure unsupecting drunk girls to your room

I may actually use that!

Although I can see it going wrong as some 8 year old turns up followed by police an that guy from the peadophile show in America.
Reply 96
this has all been really interesting and helpful but what about live at home students. will i be left out or have to put in even more effort
it seems most people lived on campus but what about those that did not. how did you keep up with rest, make new friends, find out about the parties and socials.

any information would be really helpful

REP FOR BEST ANSWER
Reply 97
Original post by SamGee
Right this is all based on my first month at uni.

- Make sure you make as many friends as you can in freshers! They'll be with you for a long time through thick and thin! They're your new best friends!

- Enjoy yourself in freshers week! Drink lots and party hard! Just dont try and fall down some stairs due to excessive drinking like i did, on the otherhand DO SO! Its a good way too meet new people :wink:

- Go check out freshers fairs, get some free pens and crap like that! students love pens!

- Dont drink so much in the first week that when it comes to starting lessons all you want to do is sleep, i didnt make the best first impression with my law lecturer! basically turned up to the a lecture 10 mins late in trackies and a football shirt im ashamed to admit i slept in as i ran like the wind to my class!

- Dont be pressured into anything you want to do! My friend found himself on stage in walkabout kissing another male on tv for a free drink! We've never let him live it down!

- DO check out all the social hubs! Dont leave out little bars and shops and so on till near the end of your first year or something, you'll find great places to hang out and you'll regret missing out all year!

- HAVE FUN!

i hope you enjoyed my slight attempt at a humorous round up, based on my freshers week!
Enjoy uni its nothing to be scared of i was terrorfied and it turns out uni has been the best year of my life to date! Make the most of it!

Why do ALL your full stops have a line above them? :confused:

Spoiler

Reply 98
Original post by jxamie
why do all your full stops have a line above them? :confused:

Spoiler

because its so exciting

Spoiler

Reply 99
For the love of God, TAKE SOME EARPLUGS. The night WILL come when your entire flat gets everyone over for pre-drinks and a night out and all you want to do is sleep.

And, always be yourself:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest