Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by zaina94
Thanks! :smile:

Also, is it true that Warwick require an A* at GCSE in maths?

I understand a strong mathematical ability is required for economics, especially at Warwick. However I haven't read that this is a formal requirement anywhere on your site, but someone has mentioned it, and I just wanted to clear up whether this is just a rumour or actually the case.

It's not a formal requirement for L100 or L112, though clearly we look for very good performance in Maths at all levels.

For those applying to LLD2 (EPAIS), if you are not offering Maths at A-Level, AS-Level, Higher Level (IB) or Standard Level (IB) or Maths Studies Standard Level (IB) we require A* at Maths GCSE.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 101
Original post by crazy1234
Hi, I am currently doing 4 A level: Economics, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, however have now decided to take up AS further maths this year to enhance my mathematical ability. Therefore as I fit into both offers, which one will I be given, or will I be given a choice?

If you are doing 4 A2's, you will receive the 4 A2 offer, regardless of the number of additional AS Levels you are taking.
Reply 102
Original post by sadiqamaan
I have just finished my gcse and have started a level in economics maths history and biology and I am going to take them further to a2. I have an cie igcse qualification in business a * history a* and literature b. My gcse maths was an A along with my science double award were i got both A's. My english language was a B and both my spanish and PE were C? Have my GCSE results let me down for applying into university's like yourself, LSE, birmingham business, LBS and others? I have done a Learn2lead prograame with procter and gamble and duke of endinburgh award bronze.

Speaking solely for Warwick, I would say your GCSE results are below that which we typically see for successful applicants, but that should not stop you from applying to Universities which you are interested in.
Reply 103
Original post by funkydee
On average whats the percentage of GCSE's that a candidate had at A* that recieved an offer from Warwick for L100 last year?

I really don't know, as it's not something which I have data on.

From my own experience, however, I remember last year I made offers to candidates with a wide range of GCSE results.
Reply 104
Hey there, just a few questions I've had on my mind.

1) What is the number of applicants and offers that Warwick receives/gives?

2) Are my current choices of: Maths A2, Economics A2, Government and Politics A2, History A2 and Further Maths AS good options to have for applying to Warwick

3) In personal statements, what do you consider more important? A candidate's passion for economics or how well they are suited to the course at Warwick?

Many thanks!
Reply 105
Off the top of your head, did you give anyone an offer with 3A*'s a few A's and some C's ?
Reply 106
Hi,

I achieved an A is my fourth AS in year 11. Is thhis still acceptable as part of the 3A2 and 1AS A*AAa offer?

Thank you.
Reply 107
I am hoping to study Economics L100. I am just wondering whether my a levels and GCSEs give me a good chance of getting in.

GCSE:

Physics- A*
Chem- A*
Bio- A*
Maths- A
Media- A*
History- A*
R.E-A*
German-B
English Lit- A
English Lang- B

A levels (Predicted):

Chemistry- 257/300 UMS - (A*)- Continue
Maths- 268/300 UMS - (A*) - Continue
Eco- 186/200 UMS - (A*)- Continue
Physics- 250/300 - (A) - Dropped
Reply 108
Hi,

This question is regarding UMS, and stating them in references. I have strong UMS in maths and economics, however some of my biology and physics modules aren't as high. I got an A in them, but the "low" modules are 80-84%, would it harm me to include these in my reference?

My GCSEs are quite weak, so I want to enhance my academic profile as much as I can. Stating my maths and economics module scores would help. But I'm not sure whether I should include the other subjects? I got As in them, and overall biology is 92% so I'm predicted an A*, but some of my modules aren't that high.

I'm worried if I include some, and not others that universities would assume they aren't very good. So my question is, do module scores below 84% look bad on a UCAS applications? Should I include them?

Thanks a lot!
Reply 109
Hi,

I'd like to ask what are the requirements for Lithuanian students who wish to study Economics and Industrial Organisation at your university. Would 10/10 in Brandos Atestatas, three state exams, Lithuanian 83%, English 100%, Maths 95%, and overall 8 IELTS be accepted?

I am currently at my first year of Economics BSc at Leicester, so would the successfully completed first year compensate for missing the standard offers, if missing?
Reply 110
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. You said that you dont typically allow course transfers from other departments like WBS. But if had the minimun entry requirement needed for Economics and had a good reason for my decision, then would the Economics department perhap consider me.
Reply 111
Original post by KlyD
I am hoping to study Economics L100. I am just wondering whether my a levels and GCSEs give me a good chance of getting in.

GCSE:

Physics- A*
Chem- A*
Bio- A*
Maths- A
Media- A*
History- A*
R.E-A*
German-B
English Lit- A
English Lang- B

A levels (Predicted):

Chemistry- 257/300 UMS - (A*)- Continue
Maths- 268/300 UMS - (A*) - Continue
Eco- 186/200 UMS - (A*)- Continue
Physics- 250/300 - (A) - Dropped

I think you have a good profile. You have virtually the same as me in GCSE and at AS, but i felt Its a risk going for Economics at Warwick, LSE and UCL. So im happy with Accounting and Finance at LSE/Warwick.But go for it you never now.goodluck anyway.
Reply 112
Original post by Hemzo
Hey there, just a few questions I've had on my mind.

1) What is the number of applicants and offers that Warwick receives/gives?

2) Are my current choices of: Maths A2, Economics A2, Government and Politics A2, History A2 and Further Maths AS good options to have for applying to Warwick

3) In personal statements, what do you consider more important? A candidate's passion for economics or how well they are suited to the course at Warwick?

Many thanks!

Hi,

1. For 2011 entry (i.e. the cycle just gone) we had around 3100 applicants for courses hosted by Economics, and made about 1200 offers.

2. Yes, I would say that is an A-Level profile which is suitable for applying to us.

3. We judge applications on an overall basis, so it's not as easy as saying we look for one thing more than the other. However, the two items you have identified are certainly key things which we look for on a personal statement.
Reply 113
Original post by economyst
Off the top of your head, did you give anyone an offer with 3A*'s a few A's and some C's ?

I can't remember unfortunately. It's been a while since I've looked at an application form and I have quite a few to look over!
Reply 114
Original post by smhus17
Hi,

I achieved an A is my fourth AS in year 11. Is thhis still acceptable as part of the 3A2 and 1AS A*AAa offer?

Thank you.

Hi,
yes, I would imagine this would be fine. Do be aware that we do not accept General Studies or Critical Thinking though.
Reply 115
Original post by KlyD

Hi,
your academic profile and results are good, so we would encourage you to apply, but be aware that our courses are very competitive and we make offer decisions based on the relative performance of other applicants. Also, the other elements of your UCAS application (personal statement, schools reference) will also be important in determining whether you receive an offer or not.
Reply 116
Original post by Amyk94
Hi,

This question is regarding UMS, and stating them in references. I have strong UMS in maths and economics, however some of my biology and physics modules aren't as high. I got an A in them, but the "low" modules are 80-84%, would it harm me to include these in my reference?

My GCSEs are quite weak, so I want to enhance my academic profile as much as I can. Stating my maths and economics module scores would help. But I'm not sure whether I should include the other subjects? I got As in them, and overall biology is 92% so I'm predicted an A*, but some of my modules aren't that high.

I'm worried if I include some, and not others that universities would assume they aren't very good. So my question is, do module scores below 84% look bad on a UCAS applications? Should I include them?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,
I would tend to focus on my strengths when writing an application, and how they relate to the courses I am applying for, so would encourage you to highlight information that you feel is most relevant in doing so.

We don't mandate that you put down your UMS scores, though more information is clearly helpful to us in making an informed decision, but there are a couple of things to think about. If you do put down all your UMS scores, you get a chance to explain that which you feel needs explaining, but if you only "select" some scores to put down and not others, it may be viewed as cherry-picking the best bits, and hiding the rest.

I'm not saying there is a right or wrong way to go about including such information, and it's really personal choice as to how you write your application to us, but they are a few things to bear in mind.
Reply 117
Original post by 3nesh
Hi,

I'd like to ask what are the requirements for Lithuanian students who wish to study Economics and Industrial Organisation at your university. Would 10/10 in Brandos Atestatas, three state exams, Lithuanian 83%, English 100%, Maths 95%, and overall 8 IELTS be accepted?

I am currently at my first year of Economics BSc at Leicester, so would the successfully completed first year compensate for missing the standard offers, if missing?

Hi,
we typically don't accept Brandos Atestatas for direct entry to our courses, though we can make exceptions where very good grades have been achieved (as in your case) and we would want to make an offer based on what else is included in your application. As such, I would encourage you to apply, but cannot guarantee that we would make you an offer based solely on your results.

If we were to make you an offer, I don't think it would be influenced by, or conditional on, your results at Leicester.
Reply 118
Original post by Alpha5
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. You said that you dont typically allow course transfers from other departments like WBS. But if had the minimun entry requirement needed for Economics and had a good reason for my decision, then would the Economics department perhap consider me.

The point of saying we don't "typically" allow course transfers is that we would need to see exceptional circumstances as a reason for transfer from another department, and you would need to meet our minimum entry requirements if we both wished to accept you as a transfer, and had space to do so.
Reply 119
Original post by University of Warwick

hi, roughly how long would an admissions tutor take to decide whether to make a person an offer after they have seen their application? thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending