The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I beg you email me these resources
Reply 61
We just finished the syllabus here as well. Just preparing for the A2 ISA which is on monday.
Reply 62
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-BIOL4-W-SQP-07.PDF
Can someone help me with 6? Why is the percentage of the black lady birds 51%? I did it and got 42% :s-smilie:
I got the red lady birds answer right though.

I assumed the black lady birds had heterozygous alleles, etc... so I did 0.7*0.3(*2)
Reply 63
Original post by EffKayy
Can someone help me with 6? Why is the percentage of the black lady birds 51%? I did it and got 42% :s-smilie:

I assumed the black lady birds had heterozygous alleles, etc... so I did 0.7*0.3(*2)

Your not supposed to work out the black ladybirds directly, you work out the red ladybird percentage and then take away from 100% to work out the black ladybird percentage . So like as you said the 49% for the red lady birds so the black ones are 51%
Reply 64
Hey there,

Do those questions have answers to them though? :s-smilie:
Reply 65
I'm doing this exam too. Just going over a few more topics and should be starting with exam papers this week. :s-smilie:
I'll be doing this exam. :yep:
Reply 67
Original post by NutterFrutter
I'll be doing this exam. :yep:

Have you tried the Jan 2010 paper yet? :colone::eek:
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
Have you tried the Jan 2010 paper yet? :colone::eek:

I've done some questions from it. Some of the questions are difficult to understand as to what they're asking for exactly but the paper isn't too bad.
Reply 69
Original post by NutterFrutter
I've done some questions from it. Some of the questions are difficult to understand as to what they're asking for exactly but the paper isn't too bad.

The latest papers (June 2011 and Jan 2011) have been much fairer so i'm hoping for something similar fingers crossed.
Yeah it was just the Hair tube question thing which was a bit mean and I got some of the first ones wrong o_O
The 15marks at the end are good though :smile:
Original post by EffKayy
The latest papers (June 2011 and Jan 2011) have been much fairer so i'm hoping for something similar fingers crossed.
Yeah it was just the Hair tube question thing which was a bit mean and I got some of the first ones wrong o_O
The 15marks at the end are good though :smile:

This exam is just so stupid!! For some of the questions the mark scheme is ridiculous!! :mad:
Reply 71
Exactly :|
Any chance of uploading the material on here or pm'ing it :smile: ? thanks!
Reply 73
Did the Jan '11 paper today as a mock. Didn't do very well I think. :redface:
Reply 74
might do some work for this tonight.....got a mock tomorrow :yawn:
Can anyone find the 2011 June paper?!
Reply 76
Original post by beckswilkinson

Original post by beckswilkinson
Can anyone find the 2011 June paper?!

I think only teachers can access that. Someone could have it though.
Reply 77
I took both my Unit 1 & 2 exams in June due to illness and I just completely failed on both of them. On every other exam I took in June I got an A and I have had a look at my paper and the mark scheme and my exam technique is just not at all what they're asking for. Has anyone else overcome problems with their exam techniques? I don't want to do the past papers too many times because once you've done a paper one and gone through the mark scheme any future attempts are obviously not going to be accurate of your knowledge.
Reply 78
Original post by EffKayy

The 2 equations you need to know are :

1. p + q = 1

2. p^2 + q^2 + 2pq = 1

p or B (dominant allele frequency ) = 1 - 0.7 = 0.3 (rearranged equation p + q = 1)
q or b (recessive allele frequency) = 0.7 this is give in the data
p^2 or B^2 (homozygous dominant Black) = 0.3^2 = 0.09
q^2 or b^2 (homozygous recessive Red) = 0.7^2 = 0.49
2pq or 2Bb (heterozygous, it is 2pq because you can have pq or qp Black) = 2 x 0.3 x 0.7 = 0.42

Just to check everything is right

Substitute numbers into equations:

1. 0.3 + 0.7 = 1

2. 0.09 + 0.49 + 0.42 = 1

Black ladybirds can have genotype B^2 or 2Bb (because B is the dominant allele) which 0.09 and 0.42 = 0.51

Red ladybirds can only have genotype bb as they have to be homozygous recessive which is 0.49

Then you just times it by a 100 to go from decimals to percentages

So 0.51 x 100 = 51% black ladybirds.
and 0.49 x 100 = 49% red ladybirds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Apa
I took both my Unit 1 & 2 exams in June due to illness and I just completely failed on both of them. On every other exam I took in June I got an A and I have had a look at my paper and the mark scheme and my exam technique is just not at all what they're asking for. Has anyone else overcome problems with their exam techniques? I don't want to do the past papers too many times because once you've done a paper one and gone through the mark scheme any future attempts are obviously not going to be accurate of your knowledge.

Yeah the AQA biology has a very awkward mark scheme, I suppose we just have to practice, I did the June 2011 exam paper as a mock and got 46/75 which is terrible because of poor exam technique, it is so annoying as you know the answer but because you haven't phrased the answer in the way they like you don't get the mark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending