The Student Room Group

Is it bad to do a PhD because you want to put Dr in front of your name?

I'm thinking of doing it for this sole reason.

I am interested in my course but my main reason is I want to be a docter... and I want to put Dr in front of my name so people give me more respect...

It would also be cool to be the first Dr in my family.

Just to say, I want to get in to Investment Banking when I have eventually graduated, do you think BB IBs would fund a PhD or a research project? I could maybe research something for them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you just want the title, its not worth it. You will loose interest in what you are doing for your PHD very quickly.
Original post by taliman
If you just want the title, its not worth it. You will loose interest in what you are doing for your PHD very quickly.

+1
Reply 3
Just buy one http://www.college-degree-fast.com/Enrollment/Doctoral.html

...and learn to spell 'doctor'.
Not worth doing it for that reason alone :nah:
Reply 5
Yeah.
Very cool.

-_-
Reply 6
Why not just put it in front of your name? There's nothing stopping you just changing your name to Dr Blowjob as long as you can pay the £15 to legally change it :tongue:
Reply 7
congratulations, you already have the research question for your PhD, which is:
'Is it bad to do a PhD because you want to put Dr in front of your name?' :biggrin:

you will not need to go far for a field work!
Reply 8
Original post by Mehmoodd
Yeah.
Very cool.

-_-

Gee golly wizz Mr! You really think so?
Reply 9
Original post by I do
congratulations, you already have the research question for your PhD, which is:
'Is it bad to do a PhD because you want to put Dr in front of your name?' :biggrin:

you will not need to go far for a field work!

Ha. I like that. But then it would be like sociology and who wants to tell people they focused on something like that!
Reply 10
Original post by KCosmo
Why not just put it in front of your name? There's nothing stopping you just changing your name to Dr Blowjob as long as you can pay the £15 to legally change it :tongue:

I lol'ed so hard :rofl:.
Reply 11
Original post by ghanglish
Just buy one http://www.college-degree-fast.com/Enrollment/Doctoral.html

It's free shipping! What a steal.
Reply 12
Original post by Jeester

I am interested in my course but my main reason is I want to be a docter... and I want to put Dr in front of my name so people give me more respect...

You can't even spell "doctor" but you need to have it in front of your name? No; this is a terrible reason. I hope to pursue a PhD after I complete my MA and it really irritates me to think that I may be competing with some joker like you for funding. :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Why else would you do it?
Original post by Jeester

It would also be cool to be the first Dr in my family.

Just to say, I want to get in to Investment Banking when I have eventually graduated, do you think BB IBs would fund a PhD or a research project? I could maybe research something for them?

No one will respect a person that got a PhD just for the sake of having two letters before his name. You will be mocked.
Just like now in this thread.

:colone:
Reply 15
If you have an MA you can put Master in front of your name

Ian Bates
Original post by ghanglish

Original post by Einheri
You can't even spell "doctor"

Original post by raheem94
You want to put something ahead of your name which you don't know how to spell.

Not funny. :sad:
Reply 17
Someone told me that only medical doctors can call themselves "Dr." in every day life outside of work and academia? Don't know if that's true, but doing a PhD just for the title in any case is definitely not worth it.

Going back to medical doctors... do you think they put themselves through six years of intense training just to give themselves the title? Or do you think it's because they actually want to become doctors?

Same goes for PhD candidates.
Reply 18
Original post by Jeester
docter

Unfortunately, and despite what the Daily Mail would have us all believe, I suspect literacy may still be a pre-requisite.
Reply 19
Original post by SoulfulBoy
No one will respect a person that got a PhD just for the sake of having two letters before his name. You will be mocked.
Just like now in this thread.

:colone:

I'm obviously not going to tell anyone once I've got the PhD!

And to anyone who's talking about the misspelling of Doctor, I am dyslexic so my inability gets me a free laptop. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.:poker:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending