The Student Room Group

Sister smokes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheHansa
Going in like this will just mean any self destructive behaviour OPs sister engages in in future will be kept secret

If she's not a rebellious kid then I would say telling the parents and getting them to intervene is the best bet. When I was younger all it took was my parents to talk to me about issues such as this to get me back to normal, but meh, we're all different.
Tell your parents.
Reply 22
Original post by abdiz12
Tell your parents, don't listen to these buggers, claiming "she'll come around". 16 year olds are frigging stupid thats why they have to go to school. Once they start, they'll never stop, hopefully your sister will be on her early stages.

Yet they can join the army...im jus sayyin
Reply 23
Totally off topic, but sounds like a great name for a grunge rock band
Original post by DarkTitan

I believe they don't go into combat until they are 18 though.
Reply 25
Tell her not to smoke, if she doesn't listen, BURN her room down and say "This is what smoking would've done"
Reply 26

And they have to get permission from their parents so you point is null.

Same this happened to me when I was younger caught my sister smoking at 14 told my parents would be stupid not to really they are the ones responsible for her.
Reply 27
Original post by craglyboy
And they have to get permission from their parents so you point is null.

Same this happened to me when I was younger caught my sister smoking at 14 told my parents would be stupid not to really they are the ones responsible for her.

Soo what your saying is they can make the decision to become a soldier...so what if they need parents permission not like the parent needs their permission for the kid to become a soldier so ultimately its the kids decision. Thus if they old enough to decide that im sure theyre old enough to smoke.

Don't get me wrong I don't like cigs, buh if they are old enough to do that legally then what's the problem?
Reply 28
Soo what your saying is they can make the decision to become a soldier...so what if they need parents permission not like the parent needs their permission for the kid to become a soldier so ultimately its the kids decision. Thus if they old enough to decide that im sure theyre old enough to smoke.

Don't get me wrong I don't like cigs, buh if they are old enough to do that legally then what's the problem?

My point is that without their parents they can't join the army they can't make that decision without their parents.

Also I thought the age you had to be to smoke was 18 these days. I wouldn't know myself as I have never smoked either
Definately don't tell your parents, she is your sister, you are supposed to stick together not tell on each other. Personally I wouldnt bother saying anything, there are enough people saying how bad smoking is there is no reason for me to waste my time joining in. I wouldnt even let on I knew if I was you.
Reply 30
Original post by craglyboy
My point is that without their parents they can't join the army they can't make that decision without their parents.

Also I thought the age you had to be to smoke was 18 these days. I wouldn't know myself as I have never smoked either

Serve the country but you can't smoke? That's just daft, even with parents permission I believe you can't smoke legally..correct me if I'm wrong.

Put it into perspective and you'll see what I mean, also can't vote will your 18. Serve the country but have no say in for 2 years. :/

(yea its not literally serving the country but its pratically there)
I do agree that you should tell her parents, but if you're going to do that don't let her find out it was you who told. She will be furious with you and probably never ever trust you. If that's not an option, i.e your parents can't pretend they smelt smoke on her clothes or found cigarettes in her bag/the garden/her room, then talk to her first and advise her to stop.
Reply 32
I smoked because my family told me not too, then when I hit 18 I realised I was wasting precious drinking money so stopped. It will just be a faze with your sister
Reply 33
Original post by tehFrance
She is 16 and legally allowed to smoke (and has been since she was 14) so really it is up to her what she does, tell your parents and you will not get her to quit if anything she will do it more out of rebellion.

Just leave her be.

But you have to be 18 to buy cigarettes, so if even if someone else is buying them for her, the law is being broken.
Reply 34
Original post by Aquar
I would tell your parents.

It's worth her hating you for a few weeks if it means your parents try to stop her smoking; you don't want to be looking back in fifty years when she's terminally ill with lung cancer thinking, "oh, if only I'd told my parents..."

Yes, because parents are effective at stopping 16 year olds from smoking...

It's up to her now, she's adult enough to make her own decisions. There's nothing anyone can do bar monitoring her every minute of the day to make sure she doesn't have a cigarette. Most likely it's just a phase which won't last long.
Reply 35
Original post by BenjyK
if you just inform her of the negative effects and let her make her own decision. :h:

This. Since when do people like being told what to do? Trying to stop someone from doing something they want to and treating them like a child will only make them rebel and want to do it more.
Original post by loz957
But you have to be 18 to buy cigarettes, so if even if someone else is buying them for her, the law is being broken.

No... they are considered gifts.
Slap the wench.
Reply 38
Original post by tehFrance
No... they are considered gifts.

They don;t have to be considered gifts, just not paid for apparently :wink:

Original post by McSpoon
I smoked because my family told me not too, then when I hit 18 I realised I was wasting precious drinking money so stopped. It will just be a faze with your sister

This is the attitude most people should take, and McSpoon has become one of my favourite TSR posters :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IndyAM
It doesn't matter, you buy a bottle of Vodka for a 16 year old, you're getting fined for serving alcohol to those under the age of 16.

Just because that applies to alcohol does not mean it automatically applies to cigarettes, the smoking law is different...!

Quick Reply