The Student Room Group

Do you bull**** your way to jobs?

I'm wondering how far an honest person would get in most corporate job application processes.

Every job application I've completed/interview I've had was full of the same ****. Bull**** questions expecting bull**** answers.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this so share views on anything that seems relevant... bull**** you said to get your job, what the honest answer would've been etc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I did.

But then it was a job as Official Liar, so....
Reply 2
Original post by Miraclefish
Yes, I did.

But then it was a job as Official Liar, so....

Then I believe congratulations are in order
Reply 3
I've never found the need to bull**** in an interview. I personally think people respond to honesty, and with a little probing it's easy to see through a dishonest answer anyway.

Not to be rude as I know nothing about you, but perhaps the reason you feel that it's impossible to get one of these jobs without making things up is simply because you don't have the right experience? Did you go out of your way to gain work experience or take part in other activities (ECs if you're a student)? These are the kind of things you need to be doing to gain experience which you can bring with you to interviews. I don't know your personal circumstances, but if you're one of those students who has gone through a degree without doing an internship or getting involved in societies etcetera then you're probably exactly the kind of student they are trying to weed out with questions like that :dontknow:
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure you have to to get a job, especially when you apply on-line. I think they have a word searcher thing that looks if you have included key words and phrases like "initiative" and "organised" :smile: applications and interviews are just extremely annoying!
Reply 5
Original post by M1011
I've never found the need to bull**** in an interview. I personally think people respond to honesty, and with a little probing it's easy to see through a dishonest answer anyway.

Not to be rude as I know nothing about you, but perhaps the reason you feel that it's impossible to get one of these jobs without making things up is simply because you don't have the right experience? Did you go out of your way to gain work experience or take part in other activities (ECs if you're a student)? These are the kind of things you need to be doing to gain experience which you can bring with you to interviews. I don't know your personal circumstances, but if you're one of those students who has gone through a degree without doing an internship or getting involved in societies etcetera then you're probably exactly the kind of student they are trying to weed out with questions like that :dontknow:

It's odd that you identified the bold sentence so early in your post but decided you'd try your luck at some advice afterwards anyway
Reply 6
lol... when I was 15 I failed a mcdonalds application 4 times. It was a multiple choice and I evidently picked the wrong ones...
It always annoys when they ask: "What is your biggest weakness."

Everyone always puts "perfectionist".
Reply 8
Original post by CJM13

Tried to rep but I've apparently spread too much love in the last 24 hours

Either way I'm happy someone got anywhere near the gist of the thread
Reply 9
Every single job interview I've had has been a slew of bull **** from my end.
Reply 10
Original post by CJM13

Ye that's awful!

I like to put a problem or something I'm genuinely not that good at. Then I go on to say that I took extra classes or set about improving my knowledge or experiences in that area.

Shows your not perfect and understand that (Nobody is) but you are willing to put the hours in to make things better. Both these skills are ticks in employers minds.
Reply 11
is there an alternative?
Reply 12
Original post by ROYP
It's odd that you identified the bold sentence so early in your post but decided you'd try your luck at some advice afterwards anyway

I also said 'perhaps' and 'I don't know your personal circumstances', so don't act like you've caught me out. I made it clear I don't know your situation, but as you haven't shared I drew a likely conclusion and provided relevant advise. Perhaps it'll be relevant to others who read this thread if not to you. But thanks for dismissing my entire post in order to make your rather rude statement..

If you simply want a direct answer then no, I don't think bull**** is not required to succeed in a corporate job application processes.
Reply 13
For my two summer jobs in retail and a fast food restaurant, I have at times had to blag my way through certain questions, but then again I do doubt many of their workers are 'interested in the upgraded big mac Menu'

When I finish my degree then obviously I won't feel the need to lie, because the jobs I will be applying for are jobs that I am truly passionate about and not merely something that gives me some much needed summer cash.

Edit: I just saw corporate in that case only the second paragraph applies as I don't think I will be needing to lie.
Reply 14
Original post by CJM13

Yeah but its been used so commonly that its become an obvious bull**** answer. I honestly don't know what else to say though for that question :confused:
Reply 15
Original post by M1011
I also said 'perhaps' and 'I don't know your personal circumstances', so don't act like you've caught me out. I made it clear I don't know your situation, but as you haven't shared I drew a likely conclusion and provided relevant advise. Perhaps it'll be relevant to others who read this thread if not to you. But thanks for dismissing my entire post in order to make your rather rude statement..

If you simply want a direct answer then no, I don't think bull**** is not required to succeed in a corporate job application processes.

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

I don't remember ever repping you!!! :confused:
Reply 16
Original post by M1011

I didn't share because this thread isn't primarily about my personal situation. I referenced my experience with applications/interviews to illustrate my point (and to pad out the OP) - not because I was seeking advice
Reply 17
Original post by DalePie
Ye that's awful!

I like to put a problem or something I'm genuinely not that good at. Then I go on to say that I took extra classes or set about improving my knowledge or experiences in that area.

Shows your not perfect and understand that (Nobody is) but you are willing to put the hours in to make things better. Both these skills are ticks in employers minds.

That is also a generic answer sadly and one of the most obvious bull**** ones as 99% of people don't really I to classes to improve their faults etc. That's if they even recognise or acknowledge their faults and weaknesses.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 18
Original post by Sabali
For my two summer jobs in retail and a fast food restaurant, I have at times had to blag my way through certain questions, but then again I do doubt many of their workers are 'interested in the upgraded big mac Menu'

When I finish my degree then obviously I won't feel the need to lie, because the jobs I will be applying for are jobs that I am truly passionate about and not merely something that gives me some much needed summer cash.

Edit: I just saw corporate in that case only the second paragraph applies as I don't think I will be needing to lie.

Hehehe just you wait!

(As an aside how did you get two summer jobs (at real companies too)?)
Reply 19
I work well in teams as well as individually thats my standard bull**** answer to anything remotely related to 'why do you think you'd succeed at this job' it hasn't let me down yet haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending