The Student Room Group

Creative Writing...

I'm particularly interested in studying for Creative Writing and was hoping some members here could give me their opinions on the best institutions that offer such a course.

Many thanks.
Warwick does an amazing English Literature and Creative Writing course. I've not been disappointed in the least bit. The balance is good, the staff are amazing and helpful and there's designated writing space, which I don't believe many Universities have. On top of that, it's a high ranking University so should help you gain employment in the future.

UEA also does an English Literature and Creative Writing course and a world renowned Creative Writing MA. The balance of the course is quite different to Warwick's I believe, so your best bet is to look at the websites and compare them to see which you prefer!

Birmingham offers an English Literature and Creaive Writing programme but it's less competitive than the other two and a less gruelling application process. Birmingham gave me an offer just based off my UCAS in about a month. My Warwick offer came through in March-April after sending a 17 page portfolio and having an interview. So it depends if you want something that's potentially more relaxed. I did really love Birmingham on the open day, it had an amazing atmosphere and ended up as my insurance choice.

If you have any questions about the Warwick Eng+CW course, feel free to ask away, but I don't know all that much about the others unfortunately!
Reply 2
Original post by Mouse Potato
If you have any questions about the Warwick Eng+CW course, feel free to ask away, but I don't know all that much about the others unfortunately!

Hi.I was on the lookout for a creative writing course in Uk for a while now, and a friend of mine pointed me towards nortumbria university, and urged me to send an application there, which i did and got in.

however, i learned that there are better universities out there which has a definite course structure in creative writing unlike nortumbria, and those, as you suggested, were warwick, uea and leeds.

so, my question is this - as a warwick student, what do you think are the chances that a guy who did computers for his graduation get entry into a creative writing postgrad course in warwick based on the portfolio that he sends? And is it too late to be sending applications now??
Original post by RonnetClaw

so, my question is this - as a warwick student, what do you think are the chances that a guy who did computers for his graduation get entry into a creative writing postgrad course in warwick based on the portfolio that he sends? And is it too late to be sending applications now??

I'm assuming you want to apply for the writing MA? I'm not sure about the dates or how your computer degree will be taken, I'd say your best bet is to email the admissions department.

As far as I can see, it doesn't matter what your first degree is in at all, though I'd guess that relevant fields might be preferable. As long as you have a strong portfolio I doubt that you'd be chastised for not doing a writing or literature BA.

For more information, here's what Warwick have on their own site:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/prospectivestudents/postgraduate/masters/writing
UEA's meant to be a very good one- I think it's the one that spawned Ian McEwan.
I've heard that university of Manchester is good for creative writing as well as university of East Anglia. Hope this helps :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Original post by tea&cake
I've heard that university of Manchester is good for creative writing

but dont they have a course structure leaned towards critiquing rather than creative writing? and unlike the other universities, its a two year course if im not wrong, and two years in london is hard, financially of course.
Reply 7
Hi. i got rejected from UEA as they have already closed the course and is not accepting anymore applications. However, i got an email from them asking me to reapply for 2013 term. I really wanted to do this creative writing course from UEA. so the question is - should i get a job for now and reapply next year? or should i go with northumbria?? (they've accepted my entry for the same course).
Reply 8
Anglia Ruskin have one^^ it all depends what type of place you'd like

Reply 9
Original post by Mouse Potato
Warwick does an amazing English Literature and Creative Writing course. I've not been disappointed in the least bit. The balance is good, the staff are amazing and helpful and there's designated writing space, which I don't believe many Universities have. On top of that, it's a high ranking University so should help you gain employment in the future.

UEA also does an English Literature and Creative Writing course and a world renowned Creative Writing MA. The balance of the course is quite different to Warwick's I believe, so your best bet is to look at the websites and compare them to see which you prefer!

Birmingham offers an English Literature and Creaive Writing programme but it's less competitive than the other two and a less gruelling application process. Birmingham gave me an offer just based off my UCAS in about a month. My Warwick offer came through in March-April after sending a 17 page portfolio and having an interview. So it depends if you want something that's potentially more relaxed. I did really love Birmingham on the open day, it had an amazing atmosphere and ended up as my insurance choice.

From what I got told at uni open days all you need is a good level degree on anything and samples of work and they will consider you ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending