Cambridge

Downing College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

How's Downing for Maths or Economics?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 21
Downing seems to have a very small proportion of Mathmos, averagely about 4-5 Mathmos in the first year, compared with the nearly 100 strong Natsci intake and those of other subjects. Of course, Downing is more famed for medicine and law.

Some good reasons to apply Mathematics at Downing College:
1.)Standard STEP offer is grade 1 and 2 in STEP II and III in any order. This is rather reasonable and not so harsh compared with grade 1 and 1 offer from many other colleges.
2.)Rather near to first year lectures.
3.)
Kyle_S-C
More importantly, there's also a Pizza Express two doors down from college and Zizzi's do £5.30 takeaway pizzas (cheaper than Pizza Hut and Pizza Express)...not of course that some of us eat far too much pizza...
Kyle

4.)For international students, you're eligible for the very prestigious and competitive Jardine Scholarship. (Eligible for Downing, Magdalene and Trinity offer-holders)

Can't say I know how's Downing for Economics.
Reply 22
khaixiang
Downing seems to have a very small proportion of Mathmos, averagely about 4-5 Mathmos in the first year, compared with the nearly 100 strong Natsci intake and those of other subjects. Of course, Downing is more famed for medicine and law.

I think that number is correct as regards mathmos, however this year's intake of natscis was only 22 (I think...hopefully I'm not forgetting anyone). We do have a lot of medics too...somewhere around 15-18 and we do have a reputation for good medics and good lawyers.
Reply 23
Kyle_S-C
I think that number is correct as regards mathmos, however this year's intake of natscis was only 22 (I think...hopefully I'm not forgetting anyone). We do have a lot of medics too...somewhere around 15-18 and we do have a reputation for good medics and good lawyers.

Ahh.. silly me :p: 100+ is the total number of applicants for natsci. Thanks for the correction. But the idea is that lawyers, medics and natscis comprised half (47.2%) of the first year undergraduate population in Downing, with 1/5 of Downingites being a natsci.
Reply 24
downing medicine is wack. everything else mediocres in comparison
Reply 25
yeah i'm pretty pleased to have a place for medicine 2007 at downing!!!
Reply 26
hey people,

just wondering what clubs people usually get involved in/are involved in?

do you find you have a lot of spare time to be part of many clubs or should you just focus on one sport?
Reply 27
OH MYY GOODDD.

i visited Downing on the Monday open day. It's so so so pretty. I've actually fallen in love with it.
Reply 28
I have seen Downing a few times before too and I must agree with you. It is definitely going to be my college of choice. Time to get crossing fingers :smile:
Reply 29
I'm thinking Downing for Eco, did work experience there a couple of years ago and really loved the place, let's have a look at the open day in September!
Reply 30
Which open day are you going to, E M?
Reply 31
danfel
Which open day are you going to, E M?

17th September I think.
Reply 32
I'm going to try to make it to the open day on September 10th, subject to various other factors. But hopefully.

edit: Oh, and anything to report of note from your work experience?
Reply 33
Prettiness is certainly a big plus...all the buildings match too, which is nice. 1st year accommodation is very plush too...
Reply 34
table tennis team is recruiting so if youre awesome apply to downing
Kyle_S-C
Prettiness is certainly a big plus...all the buildings match too, which is nice. 1st year accommodation is very plush too...

Yay for oolitic limestone! (Geology rocks)
Reply 36
Don't row if you're going to Downing. They have a scary bearded guy in their 3rd boat.
ShadowCatz
Don't row if you're going to Downing. They have a scary bearded guy in their 3rd boat.

*waves to Kar Meng*
I've had a shave y'know :wink: Plus I'm hoping to be in M4 instead anyhoo :biggrin:
Reply 38
Duke Flipside
*waves to Kar Meng*
I've had a shave y'know :wink: Plus I'm hoping to be in M4 instead anyhoo :biggrin:

I've quit rowing this term to focus on work. It didn't work.

I'm looking forward to watching you in pain.

Oh! And remember that you and Rob still owe me a formal.
Reply 39
Do it in Michaelmas...much better atmosphere in the dark, plus it means you don't have as clear a view of Rob's face, which is always a good thing.

Quick Reply