The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'm wondering what kind of questions I'd be asked in a less formal interview? It's for bar-staff at Walkabout and the place is very very relaxed from what I've been told. I've been researching the company but I have this horrible feeling I'm expecting completely different questions :s:
I got asked 'What does honesty mean to you?' once. I just said 'being truthful' because I was a bit stuck for words but he ticked the box for getting that bit right anyway and I got that job :smile:
Reply 82
I think a bit about group interviews may be needed, WHS, Boots and Waitrose all seem to do them now, if you want I will write a few words about them and you can stick them in the main topic :smile:
Reply 83
a few more questions to add from which i had from an interviews ive had.....

tell me about yourself
in what circumstance have you had to work for deadlines
if you are in the middle of a job but need to leave, who would you inform
in what circumstance have you needed to ask for further assisstance
whats your greatest achievement
whats your worst quality you could say perfectionist because thats kinda both
Reply 84
How would people go about answering "tell me about yourself" at the start of an interview? does this question refer to general interests, university, job history etc, or is this the place for an "I'm hard working, enthusiastic blah blah" answer.
Reply 85
pauljos
Hello, I have an assessment centre next week. I am new to this site. I don't know where to post about my assessment centre. By what means I prepare.

this may help http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/pages/view.asp?page=6313
Had my first ever interview today for E-On call centre and they asked questions like what you enjoy/don't enjoy about past jobs and then similar questions about what you'd enjoy/not enjoy at E-On.. I kind of gave a crappy repetitive answer so probably no chance I got the job!

Any tips on the way to answer these questions?
Reply 87
I have shop assistant/cashier interveiw at my univeristy shop on monday...i really want the job..but nervous about the interveiw..what type of questions would they ask me..and if a question like why do want to work here or why do u want this job comeds up...i dont know how to answer it...please help.

thanks
Reply 88
i have a shop assistant job tomorrow...any help in the type of questions they would ask...and coz the job is my uni shop so if they ask me whay do i want to work there what could i say...plz help.
thanks
is it bad to seem toooo eager? like i am applying for a job in a supermarket shelf stacking and when they ask something like 'what is your worst quality?' i would reply with 'blahh blah i constantly feel the need to organize everything' and the truth iswhen i go into a shop I CANNOT STAND WHEN THINGS ARE OUT OF PLACE ON THE SHELVES. i line them up and sort them out so they look neat. and it's the truth but if i say that it just looks like im lying to relate it to the job!

and it could be the same for anything in any other job..if you mention something about you that could relate to what you will be doing working there.
am i just being REALLY paranoid about this? i'm so scared theyre going to be like LIAR GET OUT, YOUR FAKENESS IS NOT IMPRESSING ME.
the problem with saying 'constantly feel the need to organise everything' can be a negative point for you due to two things:

1) it sounds cliched, like 'i am a perfectionist', so the interviewer might feel that you are lying just to relate it to the job.

2) the interviewer might have 20 other applicatnts whos' worst quality is a constant need to organise everything'. Also, your worst quality reads, to me, like a good thing. therefore, interviewer might feel that you are telling them what they want to hear, and that you are not really being honest.

In my opinion, answering 'what is your worst/least best quality' is an opportunity for you to list a minor misgiving about yourself and then say how'll turn it/have turned it into a strenght, eg, 'because i'm from another country i am quite shy, but in order to overcome that i have participated in my school's (uni's) drama club and have starred in a number of plays. This has benefited me because i now find myself my more confident and outgoing around people.'
thnks!
Reply 92
Thank you!
What would you do if you saw someone stealing something? is one I got asked.
If you're asked your favourite film, might I suggest something from this list? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_films

Can you start on Monday? Seriously!
You know when in an interview they ask, "So, why did you apply for the job?"

What are you supposed to say? What is it that they want to hear?

If it was up to me I would say, "The pay is good/It is a convenient distance from my home/The hours suit me". But I can't help but think that's not the right answer.

Any clues? Thank you :smile:
evil groove

If it was up to me I would say, "The pay is good/It is a convenient distance from my home/The hours suit me". But I can't help but think that's not the right answer.

Im no expert btw..BUT I would think you should mention something along the lines of how enthusiastic you are for the position, how well you'd fit into their organisation. Also, highlight one of their objectives and say that you would like to be a part of that.

Theres no right or wrong answer but you have to show commitment and convince them about what attracted you to the job (try to stay away from mentioning location and especially pay!)
i had a question in my interview a week ago, and that was "what would you do if a drunk was complaining about his steak?" i had no idea. so i said, "i have no idea" and the right answer was "you ask him if he would like another one".
can anyone suggest any examples of what to say for:

Give a recent example of when you had to make an important or difficult decision quickly

:woo: i'm pretty stumped about this
ne1?
evil groove

If the job was close to home, but the company had an awful reputation and worked their staff to the bone would you still apply? Most likely no!

Think about what YOU are looking for from an employer. Is the company well known? Do they promote in house training? Is their potential to grow and develop within the role? Is the job something that you're passionate about? Is it something you feel you can do well? etc.

Latest