The Student Room Group

Is it possible to transfer from one university to another to study mathematics?

Hello guys,
I was wondering whether one can transfer from one university to another to study math. I have been offered a place in MORSE at Warwick but I really really want to study in Trinity College Cambridge. It is my childhood dream. However, I was rejected maybe because I was not able to attend the interview offered.
So, is it possible to transfer for the second year to Cambridge. Thanks.
Reply 1
no chance, only option would be to drop out and reapply for entry 2010 but you would have to start from year one providing you got an offer
Reply 2
Thank you.

I also got a offer from St.Andrews and Imperial College to study mathematics. This year St.Andrews was ranked(guardian) third for math after cam and oxford. Is the St.Andrews math dept really better than warwick's or Imperial's. Which do you think would be a better choice ? I would really enjoy a intellectual kind of place. Thanks
Wherever you like best.
Go visit them!
You'll spend 3/4 years there, you may as well be in a place you love.
Reply 4
That option is not quite feasible for me as I am an international student.
I would really like to see some one giving the pros and cons of each option as I do not have enough info to decide.
robbinhood
That option is not quite feasible for me as I am an international student.
I would really like to see some one giving the pros and cons of each option as I do not have enough info to decide.

answer is no you cannot transfer into trinity cambridge in your second year. that is unless someone can prove otherwise.

if reapplying is not an option then you'll have to give up this particular dream.
Reply 6
Its ok people. I just gave up that silly dream.

Now, I am asking you guys for advice on the three offers I received.
1. St.Andrews-Math
2. Imperial-Math
3. Warwick-MORSE

Which one of those you think has the best environment and the best professors who teach undergrads.

Thanks.
Reply 7
robbinhood
Its ok people. I just gave up that silly dream.

Now, I am asking you guys for advice on the three offers I received.
1. St.Andrews-Math
2. Imperial-Math
3. Warwick-MORSE

Which one of those you think has the best environment and the best professors who teach undergrads.

Thanks.

Definately not a dream if you gave it up that easily

Warwick anyway thats where im headed
imperial close though
COWI, short for Cambs Oxford Warwick Imperial make up the "best" maths department in the UK.

Here is a useful link.

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/maths_league/uk-maths-league-tables.html
Reply 9
This should be moved to the maths sub-forum...
Reply 10
Krush
This should be moved to the maths sub-forum...

Where the "Is Imp > Warwick?" for maths question can be answered in the time honoured fashion of "Do you prefer a city or campus uni?"
Reply 11
estel
Where the "Is Imp > Warwick?" for maths question can be answered in the time honoured fashion of "Do you prefer a city or campus uni?"

Indeed, though Warwick is better for maths. :smile:
Reply 12
Krush
Indeed, though Warwick is better for maths. :smile:

But of course :p:

The Times lies about St. Andrews too :yep:
now what about Math with Applied Physics at IMP vs Maths and Phys at Warwick? :p:
Reply 14
Hello,

I am currently an International first year student at Canterbury Christ Church studying a combined honors degree on Bussines and International Relations and I would like to transfer to an University that would provide a higher quality education and would challenge me more.I am an EU resident,Romanian.I know that my nationality won't be of much help in this,it hasn't been so far, that and misinformation that is why I ended up here.
Christ Church has been a decent University so far but I am very confident I could do a whole lot more if properly challenged.I am aware that the most viable solution would be a 2nd year transfer but I am very inexperienced on how the education system works in the UK that is why I am in desperate need of advice.My aim is to study at a considerably higher ranked University in the area of my study.I would also be willing to make concessions like enrolling in first year all over again or change the degree of my study as long as it includes International Relations and Marketing and anything related to Business.
I am looking forward for some ,hopefuly positive, advice.

Quick Reply