The Student Room Group
Reply 1
defintly do it on something u hav some interest in cos if u dont its 100 times more boring than it already is doing coursework trust me! lol what areas u interested in!? i suggest doing a period quite well known tho so there are plenty of books to find stuff out
How about the Nazis or Communist Russia i.e Stalin or Lenin. I wish i had done mine on the tudours as it seems pretty intresting!
I personally would advise not to do anything with Russian history because it's very complex, and unless you have a burning interest in economic history its really not the best area.
But mainly choicing your coursework is all about what you are interested in. You're gonna have to do lots of reading about it for a long time, so the area of history is essential.

To give you some ideas, people in my class did.
Spanish civil war
US involvement in Vietnam
Cuban revolution
Genocide in Cambodia
suffragettes
slave trade
Oliver cromwell
unification of Italy-Garabaldi

Hope that gives you some idea :smile:
Reply 3
i did black death and loved it! it is more challenging doing something unusual but also more rewarding!
other people in my class did:
reformation
vietnam
american civil war
stalinism
first world war
cold war
mussolini
mary queen of scots

and others

it's a lot of fun but you really don't need to decide yet, though it might be a good idea.
Yeah i would really advise doing most of the reading in the summer hols, because when you get back to school , youll have so much other to do. I found, i had bearing enough to write it in school time, let alone do the reserach.
Reply 5
Depends on which board you're on, OCR require you to look at an issue over which there is a serious historical debate- I did the extent of support from ordinary Germans for the Holocaust after reading Daniel Goldhagen's "Hitler's Willing Executioners" and found it really interesting, although it did require a great deal of reading. The most important thing is to choose something you're interested in, it's the only history module where you have full choice over what you study so make the most of it!
Reply 6
Richy Rich$$
Yeah i would really advise doing most of the reading in the summer hols, because when you get back to school , youll have so much other to do. I found, i had bearing enough to write it in school time, let alone do the reserach.

our's was a bit different as we wrote in an extended exam thing of 4 hours spread over a day, which was nerve wracking but did get it out of the way i suppose!

Our's had to be a subject that attracted historical debate too (edexcel). my question was: Was the black death the main reason why serfdom ended in late-medieval england?
We were 'strongly advised' to do an area of history we had either studied at As or were going to study at A2, becuase then our teachers would know lots about the periods/issues and could help a lot more. If you like the tudors, try look at Edward Vi - he's really interesting!